Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

I have always loved Winnie the Pooh, and I read those books to my children  one chapter at a time as they grew up, everyone freshly bathed and in a pile on my bed. listening. I cannot read the last line of the book without teary eyes. 'So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place at the top of the forest, a little boy and his bear will always be playing.'

That's the same childhood that I wanted for my own children, full of imagination and love, security and being taken care of. It did not work out the way I hoped. I suppose our ideals never match reality, do they? They are grown now, and seem happy enough in their own chosen paths. Now there are grandchildren, three of them, and for all my shortcomings as a parent, I can say with all honesty, I'm a fine grandma. 

My oldest grandaughter has quite a collection of stuffed toys on her bed.  They have names. She loves to carry on conversations with them. For her 5th birthday, she got a new toy that she adored. It was soft and mooshy. She climbed up on the couch next to me. "Grandma, do you want to play?" 

"I surely do," I said, and she handed me 'Hildee'. I began to speak in changed voice, telling her how happy I was to be there. "I was SO afraid! I didn't know where I was going. I hoped it was a nice place, with a nice little girl. I was so happy to see you!"

She chatted a bit and then said, in a very serious voice, "I will be going to school soon and you will not be able to go with me." 

(Oh my heart! Christopher Robin had much the same conversation with Winnie the Pooh...)

I asked, "What about me? What will happen to me?" 

"You will stay in my bedroom," and she described her beautiful bedroom.

I said, "It sounds wonderful. Will you tell me about your adventures when you come home?"

"Yes," she answered. 

"Then I will be very patient and wait for you. Maybe some day I can go to school for show and tell."

"Maybe," she answered. "But I promise that I will love you for all my childhood." 

Has there ever been a moment so sweet that a person just burst? Because it felt like I might. 

It was a long and busy day, and at bedtime, there was no argument. She went up the stairs to her bedroom with her parents to brush her teeth, put on her princess night gown, and listen to a chapter from the book that they are reading. The rest of us stayed downstairs visiting. 

Before long, my son was gallumping down the stairs. "Where's that toy she got today? She wants that toy." He picked up a toy, but I said, "That's not the one. Hildee is over on the floor by the couch." 

Back up the stairs he went, to that enchanted place at the top of the stairs where a little girl and her stuffed animals will always be playing. 

40 comments:

  1. So many lovely moments here. I too am a huge fan of Winnie the Pooh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my daughter it was "The Velveteen Rabbit" and she still has the very same copy to read to her future grandchildren. Her children grew up with that book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that and Beatrix Potter and The Wind in the Willows, Narnia...the funny part is that I read most of these books as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet lovely moments! Yes, you ARE definitely a very good grandparent. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that grandparents know how swiftly children grow up. We've seen it happen before.

      Delete
  5. Reading children's books for the young is very exciting. I remember throwing a book down when my son was ten. He enjoyed my reading to him but the 'Lord of the Ring' was just tooooooooo much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone loves Tolkien, and I have tried, over and over, to read that book. I have never finished it. I finally gave the set away. Probably five years of ten years ago. I was given the books by a friend when I was in the Army.

      Delete
  6. You are a good grandparent..and fortunate to live near enough and be able to stay with them.
    My eldest son still has His Bear, just sitting on a shelf now. Name of Arthur. He named him. Arth means Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that. I've got a batch of toys in the attic. My children appear not to be interested at all.

      Delete
  7. Winning the Pooh has to be the best children's book. Pretty good for some of us adults too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Winnie the Pooh for the first time when I was 16. I loved it then. I love it 50 years later.

      Delete
  8. If you were as good with your children as you are with William, you didn't do badly. Children have their own personalities that may not match their parents. Anyway, that is a nice story about your grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was just not enough time. I was exhausted and run ragged and I wanted to give so much. I feel as if they got a just the tiniest bit of the mother that they deserved.

      Delete
  9. Did you know that the real Winnie was a female bear cub, brought to London as a troop mascot. She was named after the city of Winnipeg. Christopher Robin was also real, he was the son of the author of the book. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew about Christopher Robin. He really struggled to escape being associated with Winnie the Pooh all his life. We see the book as an enduring love of a father. Evidently, Milne did not match up so well to those ideals. They had a very complex relationship. As an old man, Christopher has seemed to made peace with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely story about your Grand. For me, as a child I adored Charlotte's Web and The Cricket in Times Square. I think I actually came to appreciated the "Tao" of Poo more as an adult. Google the poem "The Reading Mother" by Strickland Gillian. It contains one of my favorite lines ever written. 'Richer than I you can never be - I had a mother who read to me.'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet story about this time with your granddaughter, Debby! I'm glad you have recorded it here on your blog so you can always remember it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That right there is the main reason that I blog, Ellen. Life tends to rush by. Those little moments all blend together and get lost in the mix. I'm not much at taking pictures. I admit that. I take words snapshots. I love capturing the memory.

      Delete
  13. "...for all of my childhood." Yes, that made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been read to for all her life. Her comprehension is amazing. Sometimes when I read to her, I will stop at a word and ask her if she knows what it means. She almost always does.

      Delete
  14. I have to admit, I have "Return to Pooh Corner" by Kenny Logins on my phone playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually think it was the song that moved me to finally read the books. I fell in love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet story. I first read WTP when I was a teenager and have loved Pooh and his friends ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...i am not the only one to have discovered him post childhood!

      Delete
  17. What a marvellous conversation!!

    Winnie was from White Rock, on the Canadian Shield north of Superior. We passed through there on our trip out west in 2000. He was named Winnie because Milne was from Winnipeg. https://northernontario.travel/algoma-country/experience-birthplace-winnie-pooh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is an interesting child, AC. She seems sometimes, to have an uncanny grip on 'the big picture'. She was fishing with her father one day and said, out of the blue. "I will remember this day all of my life."

      Delete
  18. Thank you for sharing this! Made me remember the childhoods of my nieces and nephews...

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great post! I remember well that line from the end of "The House at Pooh Corner." It used to make me tear up even when I was just a child myself! I love your staircase parallel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cried too. A big whopping girl of 16 or so.

      Delete
  20. A lovely story, Debby. Thank you for sharing. I got a whole bunch of goosebumps and those darn ninjas appear to be cutting onions in my vicinity again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely post and granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! For a child to have a grandparent like you, is like winning a lottery. She has inherited your genes and sensibilities. Sometimes it skips a generation. This was the best thing I've read today.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...