Sunday, August 20, 2023

Gravity Defyer

Here's an interesting thing, one of those irritating things. I bought a pair of work boots for Levi through Amazon. They were from a company called Gravity Defyer. 

The boots began to separate from the sole within six weeks of purchase, not something you expect to see from a $235 pair of workboots. The company guarantees their footwear for two months, so I contacted them to let them know there was an issue. They e-mailed back and said that I needed to contact Amazon, since I had bought the boots through them.

Huh. 

I did what I was told and Amazon contacted the company to make it right. The company sent me an e-mail requesting pictures of the boots, backs, both sides, tops, soles. I did as I was instructed. I pointed out that these are workboots, and they were bought for work. 

For such an expensive pair of boots to fall apart that quickly was a bit of a shock. For comparison, you can buy a pair of Wolverines or Columbias or CAT boots...name brand boots for half the price. The last company Tim worked for gave them a yearly allowance for new boots. He always bought name brand and just tucked the boxes away until the boots he had wore out. He always had boots in reserve. They last. 

Gravity Defyer messaged back, and said that they did not have to deal with us because Amazon gave us 30 days to make a return. I messaged them back and said, "But you guarantee your boots for 60 days. I think it is unfair that you deny a claim on a technicality." 

No response. 

I contacted Amazon. "How is it fair that a company gets to ignore its guarantee because of your 30 day return policy?" They agreed it was not fair, and the company would be required to honor its warranty. The young man confidently told me, "I'll bring this to the attention of my supervisors. When the Amazon executives get involved, that carries a lot more weight than your emails."

I waited a week and heard nothing from Gravity Defyer. So much for the power of Amazon executives.

I contacted Amazon again to tell them that I have received no message from the company. I was assured that it would be resolved. It has been escalated. Supposedly, I'll hear from Amazon tomorrow. 

LATE EDIT: Amazon says we are not covered under Amazon A-Z guarantee with no explanation why not. I

It's just been a lazy day today. I chopped 1 1/2 gallons of green peppers for the freezer. I made roasted vegetables with marinated chicken breasts for lunch. There was enough left over that I chopped the vegetables and left over chicken finely, added a can of chicken broth  and diced up a couple tomatoes to throw in with some pearl pasta. It was a good supper. Laundry done, a walk at a local state park, and another day is done. 

Tomorrow, a roof. 

27 comments:

  1. Even two months isn't a very long time for a guarantee! I would hope that something that cost that much would last a heck of a lot longer than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing that would have actually been the "Wait a minute...let's just look into this a bit more, shall we?" I placed an order for Levi. He's Amish and doesn't use the computer although (somehow) they know exactly what is available.

      Delete
  2. That is why I deal direct..but on the other hand it looks as if maybe the middleman may help you

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the Amazon reviews, few as there are, they don't get the best review especially for the glued on heals. The only workboots I buy anymore are made by Redwing. They always have stitched on soles. They are expensive but they have always lasted two or three times longer than anything else.

    I've always had good luck from Amazon just clicking the return button once it has proven to be defective. They have always made it right. But I know they sell a lot of this sort of thing as a middleman and that is always bound to lead to issues in dealing with problems. I hope you are able to get it resolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time that I've ever dealt with a defective item. I've made a couple of returns before, and it is very easy.

      Delete
    2. Before my husband retired, his company paid $100 of the price for any employee who bought Red Wing shoes. He said they had a break-in period, but were the best shoes he'd ever had as far as lasting a long time.

      Delete
  4. Unreal... UNREAL. I don't see this company lasting long, when you're charging that much money for footwear.. Debby, keep us updated on this. PS I recently bought a pair of red shoes from Nike.com, I ordered them in wide but I couldn't even get them on my feet. I emailed and told them, they couldn't have been nicer. They didn't ask if I wanted another size, they apologized for not fitting and issued me a prepaid return label on the spot. It does pay the shop the big names, direct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...this has been an eye opener for me, although I do have to say, it seems as if the company would have stiffed me anyway.

      Delete
  5. Recently went through a similar situation with Amazon and the manufacturer of a fancy pants and expensive toaster oven. It dropped dead after a few uses. We went back and forth for months. Amazon finally came through, but it was a battle. I think they imagine that eventually most of us will give up the fight. Not me and certainly not you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that they finally came through. I am hoping but not hopeful.

      Delete
  6. Gosh, I had no idea work boots cost so much. Hope you get a refund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most do not. These are listed as a boot to help knee pain. Levi works very hard, and he's been struggling. I don't believe that Tim's ever spent more than $180 on a pair of boots before.

      Delete
  7. What a headache! But stick with it. I have had similar rounds myself. Not fun but I hate being ripped off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so frustrating how much time and persistence it takes to get what has been promised. That guarantee is probably one of the reasons you bought the boots in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I bought the boots for Levi because he asked me to. I did not research them as I would have if it was my purchase. A two month guarantee on a pair of work boots would have soured me on the deal from the get-go. Work boots should last far longer than that, especially boots that you spend that kind of money on.

      Delete
  9. We need an address, and your friends can start a writing campaign to let the company we are not happy and will never deal with them and will pass the word to friends. I have never had a problem with Amazon, just drop it off at UPS, they take care of the rest. Yesterday I toured the Amazon Building here in our little town. It was amazing seeing the robots, inbound, outbound and all the middle workings of the place. Four floors of steps, it was much bigger inside than it looks, and it looks big on the outside. I was allowed to take the elevator, but my feet were still sore Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that letter writing would help, really. I've been reading that they've short shrifted other Amazon customers using the same tactics. It sounds as if they simply gave up.

      Delete
  10. I hope this get resolved successfully. You're giving a great try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well THAT's infuriating. Why wouldn't Gravity Defyer just honor the warranty? You'd think it would be worth it to keep a customer satisfied. Maybe they already figure you're bound to leave a bad review so they have nothing to lose. But I hope they do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly, Levi had a pair of these boots, and convinced Tim to try a pair. Tim loves them. BUT...the soles are separating from the boot. Since he doesn't work in a factory anymore, he just got some shoe goo and fixed them. They are more of a hiking boot. Levi's boots are leather and shoe goo isn't going to help there.

      Delete
  12. In the olden days Amazon would take the return and trash it or issue credit with no return. Now we jump through hoops in hope of a refund. If it doesn't fit or I don't like it, now I just donate it to a resale shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I sure won't be purchasing through third parties anymore. This is crap.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...