Thursday, August 10, 2023

Fair



There are a lot of competitions at the local county fair, and one of them is photography. Tim met a woman who had entered some of her pictures and her nose was a bit out of joint because none of them received an award. She was sure that the judging was unfair. The winners certainly knew the judges or had some sort of 'in'. It was a waste of time and money for her to enter her pictures, but "what are you going to do? It's not fair." 

That struck my funny bone. My friend Dixie always used to say, "Life's not fair. If it was there'd be a ferris wheel." I imagined her right there listening to those complaints, and brusquely retorting, "Of course it was fair. There's the ferris wheel right there." 

Tim and I will be away for the weekend. My youngest grandaughter celebrated her first birthday last week. My oldest grandaughter turns five next week. The party is this weekend. It will be a quick trip for us, arriving Friday, leaving Sunday afternoon.  Tim has an important appointment early next week. 

Have a good weekend and we'll catch you on the flip side. 





16 comments:

  1. Well, that published before I was finished! I am sorry for that woman, that she can't accept the results gracefully. Some people never grow up. I think I would have liked your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your granddaughters, enjoy your time with them!🥳Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's always someone questioning the judges at these shows!
    Have a lovely birthday party

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel sorry for the people who agree to be judges at these events - they always upset more folk than they please. Unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the ferris wheel comeback Debby and doggone it! I missed my hometown's county fair this year, I sure used to love those...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many do enter competitions, and I don't blame them, but photography for me is personal. Of course, that doesn't mean that I don't share my photos, but it does mean that I am not interested in being judged by someone else's criteria. At least for now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I had a dollar for every time I had to tell one of my girls that life isn't fair, I could get a pretty decent steak dinner somewhere anyway. I hope they absorb that lesson eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can remember telling my children when they would whine that "it's not fair!" that they were right. There was no fair in town today. I wish I'd known the Ferris wheel part.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard lines like that (but less clever) many times when I was a kid -- basically, "Life's not fair! Get over it!"

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Ferris Wheel line. I usually enter our arts center's photography shows, but just because I like sharing some of my photos. Judging is always subjective, so as long as I like what I've entered, I don't care if it wins anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did comment..I wonder if I missed pressing publish?
    Perhaps her photos were good..but judging is so personal.
    Hope your weekend is good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of these people who must win, no matter what. Not someone I want to be around.

      Delete
  12. Congrats on getting your roof on! A great achievement!
    I'm behind on reading your posts as I was in the hospital this week due to Afib on Tuesday morning when I woke up. Got my first ambulance ride and finally got to come home yesterday. Not a fun way to spend my birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow, Ellen! That's scary! Please take care of yourself!

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...