Monday, August 7, 2023

Grateful


We have a roof! Believe it or not, this was done in 8 hours with two 'English' (Tim and I), one Amish man and his three oldest boys. 

Levi called Tim as we were prepairing to head out. He had his orders caught up at the sawmill. He had haying to do, but not until the afternoon, after it had dried in the sun for half a day. He offered to help. We were surprised, but not going to turn that one down, the primary reason being that Levi has put on tin roofs before, and having an experienced person on site is a huge time saver. They understand team work. Tim cut the 'double bubble', which is what they call the insulating layer that goes under the tin. Either Amos or I ran it up the ladder. In between that, Amos and I carried the tin sheets over to the building and set them on end so that they were ready to push up to Levi and Reuben and Andy on the roof. Levi directed, and the rest of us kept up. The first morning, we had half of the roof done. 

We were even more surprised when Levi gave us another morning. We got it done. 

This is such a big deal. There are not enough words. I have a bad knee. I will need a knee replacement, but now is not the time. If my foot is not level, my knee has a tendency to 'give out' with no warning. I can't do roofs. Tim shouldn't do roofs, in my opinion, but he has been doing them right along. 

Now. suddenly the roof is done. 

Every last thing left to be done on that house can be done by the two of us. 

Every time that I think about that, there is a happy lightness in my heart.  I am so grateful. 

We had a party that night. Pizzas. Macaroni salad. Ice cream. I brought sparklers and fountains for the childen, along with some spinners which whistled and danced around on the driveway. I had specifically sorted through the fireworks that we had, picking the ones that didn't make booms, only emitted showers and sparks. I had quite a selection of stuff. While we waited for it to get dark, I taught the girls how to play 'cat's cradle'. They'd never seen it before but were enthralled. Everyone ran to get yarn to make their own game. 

It was a wonderful evening. Well. Except for the fact that despite the description on the box, the first firework went off with a boom. I couldn't believe it. Everyone shrieked. Tim said Levi jumped so badly he nearly fell out of his chair. Rudy ran crying to his father.  

I felt terrible. I had specifically weeded those out. 

I thought. 

Anyways, the rest of the fireworks display went well. Andy did the fountains and everyone oohed and aahed as if we were at a big fireworks display. The sparklers were in all different colors, which were fun to watch. I had probably 3 dozen of those. It was fun to watch the kids excitedly leaping and waving them in the yard. Cars going past on the road slowed to watch the fun too. 

At last it was time to go home. We headed down the hill and before we got to the bottom of it, suddenly, without warning Tim became violently ill. That was the beginning of a pretty scary two days. I worried about dehydration, since that seemed to trigger the cascade of events that triggered his stroke. Deja vu. We have absolutely no idea what brought this on. No one else got sick. We all ate the same thing. He said he felt fine all night. 

He is better today and seems no worse for the experience.

I'm grateful for that, as well. 



20 comments:

  1. I’m thrilled for you, on all counts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued good health and safety to you both and to all your crews. What generous help. I breathe a sigh of happiness and relief right along with you. Take care!
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting for you and Tim. You have a good friend in Levi and family, and it goes both ways. You will be in the house before Christmas, I think. It will be so much easier for you doing housework on one floor with you bad knee. Hope Tim is better. Drink up Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful neighbors. Hope you both stay healthy! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about your amazing neighbors. You are very lucky to have neighbors willing to help with your projects. I'm so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wasn't vertigo for Tim, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You’ve been a good neighbor, and now it comes back to you. Yay! Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what real good neighbours are like.
    Hope Tim is better soon..like you say, could be dehydration..take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I marvel at how much hard work you can both get through in one day.
    Hopefully Tim can take a short rest now to make sure he is recovered from his bout of sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a scary end to a very good day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful that Levi worked so hard and gave up his time to help you. WOW to a finished roof anyway. The party afterwards sounded fun (apart from that first big boom), and sorry that Tim was ill on the way home. Hope it doesn't return any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, three days since you've posted and a lot has happened. Thank goodness Tim is ok now. A roof is a wonderful thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There seems to be a short lived, but very unpleasant stomach bug going around over here. Hoping that's what hit Tim and that he's now on the mend. We have a contractor turning up this morning to start a long delayed project of window replacement, door repair and deck repair. I'm grateful to have the process started but am dreading the coming mess and noise in equal measure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Getting the roof on certainly relieves a lot of stress in home building. Hope Tim gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, except for Tim's scary sudden illness, this is all such good news! Hurray for Levi and his boys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hooray for great friends and a roof - I can only imagine the wave of gratitude that you have every time you look up. Please give your friends my thanks too! A bit concerning that Tim was unwell after - both of you please look after yourselves xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for the roof! What a relief! And thank goodness for all those helpful people around you. Sorry about Tim's illness, but these weird things sometimes happen. I got food poisoning (we think) several months ago and Dave and our friend Warren (who ate the same dinner) had no problems. You just never know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a great feeling to have the house covered. Now supplies can be safely stored.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exciting times! But so sorry Tim got sick. I wo der what caused that? I hope he feels better now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sorry to hear that Tim was poorly; hope he has no further problems. What a great thing it is to have neighbours like that.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...