Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Different kind of day.

On the way up to the new build, Tim said, "I want you to figure out something." He started to talk about the erosion on the west side of the house where the entry to the basement is. I said, 'That's funny. I was thinking about that one night when I couldn't sleep. I have a plan. I want to dig it out level. We've got that pile of concrete blocks. We can build a retaining wall."

(We save everything. The previous owner had used them under his mobile home which was repossessed and hauled away, which sounds like a very sad country song, doesn't it?)

It was a fun morning, working in the sun, digging and leveling, and laying the block. Tim worked on his own project. 

We broke at midday and ran into town to get some concrete mix, and there I saw it. 

Angels sang. 

It was the front door of my dreams:


On clearance!! 

Tim said, "It's a 32 inch. We need a 36 inch. It swings the wrong way," and walked on, leaving me staring longingly. 

I priced the door at 36  inches wide, swinging to the right. A mere $1500. We will not be getting this door, which makes me sad. 

But the retaining wall looks nice, so far. 

That roof we put on to solve a bat problem? Well. The jury's still out on that. The tenant called to say that a bat had gotten in, but that it left. Kittery, her cat was studying a small gap between the 200 year old hand hewn beams and the wall. She thought they were slipping in there. Tim and I went down and sealed that area, but tonight, we got another bat call. 

We walked down in the dark, Tim with a flashlight and a pair of gloves and me with a sheet. There he was, hanging upside down in her stairwell. Tim tried to catch him in a basket, but he flew a short distance landing on her pen jar on her desk. "Give me your glove," I said to Tim and I simply picked him out and walked out the door with him, turning him loose. 

Here's my theory. He was awfully easy to catch, which is not the norm. I am going to guess that he's the bat from the other night. The new roof trapped him inside the tiny attic.  He worked his way into the house. Paula saw him, but he didn't leave as she thought. He got himself tucked away. After two days without food or water, he was very weak, which was why he did not fly far, which is why I was able to pick him up and turn him out into a full moon night.

Well. 

Either that, or he was rabid. 

One of the two. 



26 comments:

  1. That door is gorgeous. I wanted one like it many years ago when I was married to the pilot, never got it though.

    Hopefully not rabid but you did make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Batty had a feast and doesn't come back to the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are pretty sure that even if he comes back, he will not find a way back in.

      Delete
  3. Your batty theory sounds very plausible. Not the very last one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rabies is not as implausible gas you imagine. We have reported rabies cases every year, but most go unreported because people are told to shoot the animal and bury it. The state no longer tests unless the has been a bite or human contact. In New York state, there are many counties that consider rabies endemic.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh gosh no. I was wearing leather work gloves.

      Delete
  5. That is a beautiful door...and a serious price! Maybe you may find it elsewhere at a more reasonable cost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah gz. A woman after my own heart. I am looking.

      Delete
    2. So far, I found it for $1053. For comparison, the door on clearance was $250.

      Delete
  6. My advice, unsolicited as usual. 😎

    You're saving a ton of $ almost building the place yourselves. So treat yourself to the door!

    (MYOB AC 😜 )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love unsolicited advice...esp when it validates my side. Bring it.

      Delete
  7. I do love the door... I am trying to shudder over that bat-tale! My sister has the EXACT SAME problem, it's so creepy how they worm their selves into homes :^(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn it--trying NOT to shudder

      Delete
    2. Bats are interesting critters. I don't want them in my house though.

      Delete
  8. Your country mobile home song made me laugh Debby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you write the music, I'll write the lyrics.

      I cried in my beer as I watched that house pull out of my driveway. Then me and the dog got into my truck and headed down the highway.....

      Delete
  9. Bats aren't as evil as a lot of people think. We a glove and pick them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bats are a critter. Of course, I should mention that there was an aloe vera spear on the floor this morning. I jumped out of my skin. I thought it was a snake. I know snakes aren't evil either, but I still struggle not to scream.

      Delete
  10. I like your bat theory. A couple years back, we had three bats in about a week. I suspect they all came in together as a group because the third one appeared very weak and couldn't fly very far at a time compared to the first one which flew non-stop for an hour or more. Those were the first bats in nearly a decade and we haven't had any since so whatever hole they found, and I've unsuccessfully searched for it, is also hard for bats to find unless they conga line in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bats in a conga line. That visual made me laugh!

      Delete
  11. Your theory sounds logical. I love to watch bats working. (outside, preferably) I'm still laughing about your "aloe vera snake".

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you're probably right. He was dazed and confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well. We'll see if the problems continue.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...