Thursday, June 15, 2023

Weekend

 Well. Last night, Tim and I made a run to the store. I needed loratadine. My nose has been been nuts since this smoke from Canada's forest fires a few days back. William's been snuffling too, and it was predicted that today was going to be another bad day for smoke. (I didn't see that it was, however). When I grabbed a bottle of Listerine. I remembered that I needed to buy a new head for my toothbrush. I studied the display carefully, found the heads for Phillips sonicare. It was $18. for one head, but you could get a 5 pack for $40. That was a no-brainer. So I grabbed the multi-pack. They did not fit. I didn't know there were two models of Phillips toothbrushes. Even more aggravating? I just ordered a 10 pack of the right heads for $12 and free shipping. 

I'm headed back to the grocery store tomorrow to see if I can return an open pack of toothbrush heads. 

Today we spent cleaning up around the construction site for the guy to come in and do the backfill. Amazing how quickly debris piles up. We had a bonfire while things were still wet from the rain.  Now they are calling for thunderstorms tomorrow. The guy with the bulldozer has decided to wait until the rain stops, so it's looking like Saturday or Monday. But the cleanup is done. 

William will be gone for a big part of the weekend. It is the Pride festival and his mother is one of the organizers. He's spending his first night at their new house, in his new bedroom, in his new bed. He went over today and helped set things up. It's a pretty exciting for him. 

We are going to take advantage of his absence to take on a big job that we really don't want him around for. We are hoping to install the main beam, a heavy job. The beam is 40 feet long, awkward, heavy and it has to fit perfectly into the notches in the concrete. We have two jacks which go into the basement to support that beam. We will set them 13 feet in from each basement wall, so that the beam is evenly supported. 

Once the main beam is in, we can start work on the floor joists. Once the joists are in, we can nail down the subfloor. We have a steel door to install and then the basement will be closed off. 

Tim's a bit leery now. We're accumulating quite a pile of lumber and the roof trusses and the treated sheeting. We'll probably begin to spend nights down there to make sure that we don't get robbed. It happened to us once a while back. Tim had some steel trusses to build a bridge. They were stolen right off the back of his parked truck, probably by a local scrapper. We're guessing the one that went to prison for theft not long after our trusses were stolen. 

I also want to apologize to Anonymous once again. S/he said Especially what’s highlighted in blue!🥺It’s a scary country to live in right now😟"

 In our country, Republicans are denoted as 'red', Democrats as 'blue'. I am proudly blue. I thought that the commenter was saying that the parts of the country highlighted in blue were scary. I disagreed. The blue referred to in this case was the blue in the Steven King meme. Blush.  Again, the misunderstanding was entirely mine. 

So that's it, really. A working day. I'm tired, and ready for bed. Have a good weekend, everyone. 

19 comments:

  1. Take care with that big job.
    It's good that William will have a good time with others in his family..and give you chance to get it done.
    Don't let yourselves get overtired...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more concerned about Tim. You can really tell when he gets too
      tired, and it scares me.

      Delete
    2. Good point. Pirate doesn't learn either

      Delete
  2. Easier to go to a paid job, you may think at times.
    The toothbrush head matter must be so annoying.
    Theft from building sites is big here, though it waxes and wanes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the work at all. I enjoy it even. But for a fact, I need Tim to understand that I am ready to be done with this phase of our life. He is one of those people who would die in the traces.

      Delete
  3. I have that toothbrush system. I think the last brushes that i purchased fit any of their systems. I might be wrong, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I have a Sonicare One. I picked it for travel ability. I did not realize the heads are different. I realized the part that fits over the handle was too wide. The metal part that fits into the handle is too small.

      Delete
  4. Hope the beam installation goes smoothly with no hurt muscles. I've never had materials stolen off of a site though I can see a scrapper taking metal. Tools however are a different story and I lock them up every night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muscles are hurt every single day. We b old.

      Delete
  5. Hi Debby, Ricki here (the Anonymous)- I thought you probably misunderstood the meaning of my comment, so
    I’m glad we cleared that up! I’m very ‘blue’ too, though I’m not a citizen so I can’t vote.. I try to convince others though!😄 xo, Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happened to the idea about going to work for Head Start?
    I can't imagine setting beams. Good Lord, woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Head Start is closed for the summer. I hope to be picked to start work in the fall.

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your work at the house. Please stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are starting to hit our stride, team work wise, and we never take chances.

      Delete
  8. That big job sounds a little scary to me. That's exciting about your daughter's new house; is William moving there with them or just spending time with them? Hope you get some rest and enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a scary job, but we could not get to it today. The excavator is leery of the weather, and is coming Monday. We cannot do that beam until the backfill is complete, which allows us to get right up to the basement walls.

      Delete
  9. Stay safe, which I know is a mantra of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The more I read about this construction job, the more impressed I am that you're doing it! We have a dripping faucet at the moment and I can't even be bothered to fix THAT. Bummer about the toothbrush heads. Did they take them back? I'm thinking an opened package might kill the return.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...