Monday, June 19, 2023

Treasures

 Remember how I told you that we have been stockpiling stuff for the new house? Just random stuff that we pick up as we see it.

This old butcher block will go in our kitchen. We found it at a sale of contents from the old Oakview Tavern along the river here in town. It used to be quite a class joint back in its day. When Tim heard about the sale, he said, "I want you to go there and get something." To this day I do not understand why it was so important for him to have something from this restaurant. It was closed down before we ever met, so I suppose that it had something to do with his life before we were us. 

He set a sum that I should spend, and it was an eyepopping amount. I said, "I'm not even sure what you want..." and he said, "You'll know it as soon as you see it." I scrolled through the online pictures and he was right. When I saw this, I stopped. I said, "I think I may have found it..." When he looked, he said, "Yes. I want you to get inside as soon as the sale opens and buy that block." So I did. 


Tim and I went back after he got out of work. Tim found a pile of corbels in a dark corner. While I was helping him, I found this little table tucked away in another dusty corner. I stopped with my armload to look. Tim passed behind me and said, "I saw that table too, and I like it." For $35, we got that too.  These things are stored away to be pulled out for the new house. 


One day I was on line. and saw these leaded glass windows. The woman said that one was missing. The rays didn't line up. I got them at a discount. You know why the rays don't line up? She was looking at them upside down. The rays line up perfectly when the pictures are turned around. These will go on the enclosed sun porch in the front of the new house. 


Here's a stove I got for the kitchen. Isn't it a dandy? 


And this is a little wood stove that I got for that little sunroom of my dreams. I was just driving down the road one day and saw an elderly man hauling it to the curb. I stopped dead and said, "How much are you asking for that?" He said, "Free. We're moving. I always meant to hook it up in the garage, but I never did. Now we're trying to get the house ready to sell. It's got to go." 

It was unused. Brand new. I needed help loading it, and so I turned right around and fetched Tim. It was a hot day and we were working on a renovation and he was grumpy at the interruption. His complaints stopped as soon as he saw what I was excited about. We loaded it right up. It is heavily greased to avoid rust, and it is stored away for the new house. 

We've got our kitchen cabinets. Hickory. We bought them off a friend who had two trees fall on his house during a tornado. He decided since he was rebuilding the back of the hosue, he might just as well reconfigure his kitchen, since he'd never been happy with it anyway. So we bought those cabinets and stashed them into the old house on the property that we are using for storage.  Of course, within a few months of hauling them from Terry's house to stash away in the old house, don't you know that two trees fell on our  little storage house? It caused us to give some amount of thought about whether the cabinets were cursed. Maybe we shouldn't put them in the new build...

Nah. We're not superstitious. 


That little house is stuffed to the gills with all manner of things. 

Yesterday, I was looking for something in 'the gift closet' upstairs. I buy things that strike my fancy and put them away in the gift closet. If I need a quick gift for someone, I run upstairs and pick something out. But you know what else I found? 


Aren't these the most beautiful tiles? I got them for 79 cents apiece on clearance and tucked them away. I'd forgotten all about them. I do have a good eye if I do say so myself. 

19 comments:

  1. Wow! You do indeed have a good eye! I would love all of those treasures. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That table in particular is gorgeous. Beautiful treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about your good eye. I adore both the stoves and that drop leaf table was a bargain. So pretty. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm at the stage of my life when I'm trying to get rid of things. It's odd going back in my thoughts to when I acquired some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You DO have a good eye! These are all treasures. I especially like the leaded glass windows. Will you build them into your house somehow, or suspend them in a window? (I'm guessing they're not very well insulated!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be built into the roof line of the enclosed sunroom. They do not have to be well insulated since the porch will only be used in three seasons.

      Delete
  6. You certainly have been looking forward to the day you have your retirement cottage! That's quite a wonderful pile of stuff that will make your home one of a kind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, Debby. Those are some excellent items and it's going to make the new house feel like a home rather quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a butcher block just like that in my kitchen. one side is a little lower sin they cut meat on that side most of the time. Ron sanded it and refinished and it is beautiful It is so heavy. The legs fit up into holes under the corner of the table. When you pick it up the legs come out. We usually have three men to pick it up it is so heavy. Ron found it where they were remodeling the meat shop and throwed the block out. The men took a fork lift and loaded it, of course we unloaded it to a dolly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cook stove, does it have a water tank on the side to have hot water from the stove. My Granny had one about like that,

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many bargains! The tiles are lovely but I can see they are only really feature tiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be part of the tiling between the cupboards. I have coordinating plain 'stone' tiles. You are right. The decorative tiles will be used to accent those tiles.

      Delete
  11. You have been collecting for so long. I bet you can't wait to see it all in the new house. Thank you for bringing us along on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also,” (Matthew 6:21)

    I have no particular reason to post this. It just came to mind for some reason. From my Christian days. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome stuff! Kinda makes me wish I had a new house in my future!😄 - Ricki

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...