Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Housework.

 Yesterday, we started work on the sill plate. It was kind of miserable, drizzly and windy, and that made things more difficult than they needed to be. But we got one side of the house done, before calling it quits for the day. 

We got up early and headed back. Over night, I'd been doing some thinking and came up with a couple ideas to make it go more quickly. The main idea was laying a 14 foot plank between the ladder and the scaffold, so that we could walk back and forth along the wall as we worked. That simple idea made things go a lot faster and saved a lot of wear and tear on old knees. 

Because everyone knew what we were doing at this point, that also made things move right along. Tim set the seam seal, William and I hauled the plank in. I climbed up my ladder, and together Tim and I raised the plank into place. We positioned it perfectly and then drilled the holes for the bolts which extended from the top of the concrete. We dropped the board over the bolts, and Tim tightened the nuts and washers while William and I brought in the next plank. And so we worked in the sun, like a well oiled team.  


We had two more walls done by lunch. We were completely done by 1:30. 



William was cheerful and industrious. 
We were putting things away as the clouds rolled in. 


On the way home, he said, "I think that I did a good job today." 

I agreed with him. "You always know inside when you've done your best."

He said thoughtfully, "I was feeling grumpy when we started, but my brain said, "If we all work together, we'll get it done quicker, and my brain was right." 

The next step will be installing the beams. It will be raining tomorrow, so we have an inside project for a tenant, who has had some health issues. Her stairwell has a hand rail on one side. We are going to install a second handrail on the other side of the stairs for extra security. 

On Friday, our excavator will come one last time to push that big pile of dirt back in the ground around the outside of the basement walls. 



25 comments:

  1. All of you are just amazing with your skills. Mr. William is certainly learning all about the usually unseen parts of a house! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watch a lot of you-tube. Not joking about that.

      Delete
  2. It is a very good education for William watching a house being built. Perhaps one day when he is grown up he will build his own house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he will know that it is an achievable goal.

      Delete
  3. A good day. I think Thelma is spot on with her comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never quite know what skills you will need in your life. He's been doing measuring. When he is asked to fetch a tool, he generally knows what he is looking for. He had a lot of fun sawing a piece of wood the other day.

      Delete
  4. William is learning a great deal these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never understand why all stairwells don't have handrails on both sides. Great photos and your making much progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at home much we have left to get done, you'd be singing "We've only just beguuuuuuunnnnn..."

      Delete
  6. Good team work, it seems. I've started to use handrails but they so often don't seem to be on the correct side. Best to have them both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something that we never gave a second thought to. It is an open stairwell, with a rail on one side. She's had some health problems and her children wanted it done for safety reasons. She was embarrassed to ask. We were embarassed that she HAD to ask. Done and dusted.

      Delete
  7. I was wondering why you were installing the sill plate using ladders and scaffolding on the inside of the foundation instead of walking around the outside, then I read your last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I flat out refused to install the beams until the back fill is done. That makes the job twice as difficult, and there is no need for it.

      Delete
  8. Amazing! William knows more about building a house than I do and I'm old! Hah! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over. We'll teach you. Understand the best way to learn is to by doing. :)

      Delete
  9. William is learning so much from his grandparents. How a house is built- yes- but also how to work together to get it done. Think of the sense of accomplishment he will have when it is done! That is a lesson that many of us will never have the opportunity to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best way to learn something is to actually do it.

      Delete
  10. He will also be able to look back and say "this is the house that Tim and Debby and William built". Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe even someday, he will want the house for his own.

      Delete
  11. Well, I'm not sure I know what a sill plate is (and I certainly didn't before I started this post!) but I'm glad you're making progress, and keeping William involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sill plate is the wooden base for the house frame to be built from.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I wonder if the man he becomes will reflect what we are trying so hard to instill. I hope so.

      Delete
  13. William is learning some good lessons.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...