Saturday, June 24, 2023

Rain, Rain, go away.

 I woke up to the sound of heavy rain falling. I sighed deeply and fell back asleep. It felt very nice to sleep. It was supposed to stop raining at 11 according to the weather man. The good news is that it stopped raining about 9. So we headed out the door. 

The bad news is that we barely got ourselves out of town, in a little town called Starbrick, when the skies opened up.

The good news is that 7 miles down the road, the sun was shining brightly. 

The bad news is that 10 miles later it was pouring rain once again. 

Tim said, "Well, it's supposed to stop, so we'll just wait it out inside, and when it stops, we can just walk out the door and get started. I commented that it was going to be a muddy mess, and our mud is the worst. A kind of clay-ey mud that sticks to your boots like weights. 

We got ourselves settled inside. I curled up on the couch to read (We Were The Mulvaneys), and Tim played with his phone between staring out the window anxiously. He finally said, "It's stopping..." and out the door he went. I didn't rush, because he needs his pondering time. I figured to give him 15 minutes and then pull on my boots and head outside. 

Before my 15 minutes were up, he was back inside, and he was ornery. "Never mind. It's raining again." He sat fuming for awhile and checked his weather once again. It was supposed to end in the afternoon. 

"Well," he said, "we might as well go into Titusville and have lunch. Maybe hit a couple thrift stores." (Anyone who knows me knows that I am not going to turn down an opportunity like that.) 

So into town we went. We found an awfully nice jacket for William, and a sun catcher, and I found a nice sweater I liked. We ambled across the street to pick up some fresh fruit. We had tacos for lunch. 

Sure enough, as we headed back to the build site, the sky was much brighter. I said, "We can get a good afternoon of work in, I bet." 

I went into the camper and pulled on my boots, and headed over to the basement. We set to work. We had sawed four boards. Four. I said, "My gosh, look at that sky!" Tim said, "I don't care, we're getting as much done as we can." 

About that moment. the sky opened up once again. 

I said, "You know, maybe we should just give it a rest today. We can come back tomorrow. It will be hot and humid, but this rain is supposed to be done." 

And we locked up and came home. 

By the time we got home, the rain had (again) stopped. I hung my 'new' sun catcher and admired the way the sun was shining through it. 


13 comments:

  1. Not much achieved then but there will be days like that I suppose. Better luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A day when the weather decided that you needed a rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, as gz says, a rest was probably no bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, the weather wasn't listening to the forecast was it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, we cannot control the rain. I'm sure y'all needed a day off anyway although I'm sure it made Tim crazy to "waste" an entire day. It was nice of him to suggest lunch and thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He enjoys thrifting as well. He just hides it a bit better than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nature is taunting you! But yeah, I'd jump at the chance for a good thrift store outing too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got to eat tacos, a successful thrift store visit, and those 4 cuts. What a day of starts/stops. Hope tomorrow is easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fighting mud is the worst when it comes to construction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In case I jinxed it with my comment the other day.. I’m hereby de-jinxing it regarding rain for your building season!!🤞🙏I hope your work will go smoothly; thanks for sharing the exciting process with us all! - Ricki🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am holding you totally responsible and I only have one thing to say. 'Thanks, Ricki!'

      Delete
  11. Poor Tim. He wishes he could make a truce with the weather!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Sunday Sermon

 https://www.yahoo.com/news/one-evangelical-leader-uses-bible-090025360.html I found this interesting and understandable. A different kind o...