Monday, June 26, 2023

Storms

 The weather has been nuts. It rained off and on all night, and the thunderstorms rumbled in and they rumbled out. It was a dark morning, and it was raining hard. About the time that I was ready to set out to pick up Mattie and the baby, it got ugly. The thunder was loud and shook the house. 

I headed out, and it eased back. By the time that I got to the top of their hill, it was sunny. It's been a while since I've seen her and we found plenty to chatter about on the 45 minute trip. I waited in the car for them and watched yet another storm move in. I sat in the car with the window down, feeling the breeze and listening to the far off thunder. 

Mattie had two stops to make on the way home. I picked up some sparklers for the children for the fourth of July. Found a 'distressed' bird of paradise reduced to $4. While we were in the store, the skies opened up yet again. You could hear it pounding on the roof of the Walmart. Mattie did not take long and I pulled the car up so that she and the baby would not get wet...but it stopped raining as I pulled up to the loading area!

We headed down the road marveling at the black, black sky. We had one more stop to make, an Amish store. They had some real deals going on, that's for sure, and I got a lot of stuff for my $19.95. The Amish girl that rang us up was wearing bright yellow flipflops. I'd never seen that before. I kept my mouth shut, but it made me smile. 

Back in the car, the storm hit with a vengeance. The ditches were overflowing and running fast and muddy. We followed a modular home being hauled some place and a large piece of siding blew right off. There were a lot of tree branches down. The road to Mattie's house was blocked by a very large downed tree. We took another route and saw another giant tree that had fallen in the yard, miraculously  landing between the road and the house, 

I got them home and helped them haul stuff in. I got soaked to the skin. Mattie sent me off with two pounds of churned butter, a bottle of homemade rootbeer, and a batch of raisin filled cookies that she knows Tim likes. I dashed back out to the car and headed down off the hill. Things were pretty bad at that point, and I probably should have stayed, but...'too late smart' as their old saying goes. 

By the time that I got into town, it was once again sunny. 

I got soaked to the skin once more before the night was over. I went out to check on our fox friend. Disappointingly, the bowl of catfood and the two dog biscuits were still there. The bowl was filled with rainwater, and the biscuits turned to mush. It seems that this is one story that we will likely never know the ending to. 

The weather has made for some pretty easy days, work wise. Tim is going to pick up some supplies tomorrow. I'm going to get caught up on housework. Wednesday is suppose to be a fine day, and we'll be right back at it. 

15 comments:

  1. You're a good friend getting so soaked! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite a storm! I'm glad you got around all the downed trees and got everyone home safe and sound

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not a day that I would have liked to go through. Driving in those conditions would have made me a little nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meanwhile, in my part of Missouri we can't beg or buy any rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friends in New Zealand are having storms which are destroying infrastructure. The UK is having storms. It seems to be universal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had those crazy short storms that caused so many trees to drop that power was out everywhere around here. And then so much rain- which was great- and not it's simply hot as Hades and humid.
    Be safe out there!
    I hope that all went well with Mattie's pediatrician appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weather does nothing by halves now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, at least you didn't find a dead fox! I wonder if it just couldn't eat the food because it got drenched.

    It does seem like stronger weather is happening everywhere -- except where I am, where we're getting next to no rain at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a phobia of driving in heavy rain so I would have stayed home. Years back I totaled my minivan when I stalled out in a deep puddle and the water came in over my feet. Since then, I can't drive through any wetness without getting nervous so I don't go out in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be terrifying and a developing a phobia about it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

      Delete
  10. You did another good turn — in the rain too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Homemade root beer sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make it with 1/2 tsp of yeast to five gallons of water, sugar and rootbeer extract. I think that I would like to try making homemade orange soda. I don't see why you couldn't.

      Delete
  12. That sounded like a wild old day to be out and about. Longing to know what bargains you got for your $19.95 at the Amish store! What do they stock? Oh gosh, home-made butter and rootbeer AND cookies. You were spoilt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mcvities Digestive biscuits, 35 cents each. (Expired last month), 5 packages. Stir fry noodles, 59 cents. A lb of Starbucks coffee for 2.99. Tarragon 50 cents. 2.99 for a jug of hand soap (I refill my pumps) 2.19 for my brand of hair mousse. Scotch scrubbers 2 for $1. A book for William was a splurge at 4.99. I don't mind buying expired dry goods. Not sure how you see that. Canned goods either, as long as the can is sound.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Friday

l’m old enough to remember  that putting the National Guard  on college campuses is a bad idea. Bernie Sanders might be old but he has said ...