Sunday, April 23, 2023

The Homecoming.

 We drove the new baby home today. He is so cute. His name is David, for Mattie's father. I asked about a middle name. They do not have middle names. They have middle initials, and David's middle initial is L, like all his brothers and sisters, because he is the son of Levi. 

That was an interesting thing. 

There are two hospitals in Erie, and I was driving Mattie to her weekly appointments in a building set next door to the Hamot Hospital. They said to pick them up at the main entrance, and I said, "The one right across from the surgical center?" and Levi said yes. 

Yep. 

They were at the other hospital, and their main entrance is across the street from their surgical center. 

All's well that ends well. 

It was worth it, to see their house literally explode with children crowding the car to catch a glimpse of the new baby. Before I could even blink, his oldest sister had him whisked away from his mother and headed straight to the warm kitchen. The children were all gathered around to coo over him. The oldest boy ran across the yard quickly to notify Grandma that everyone was back home. 

We carried the car seat in and tiptoed right back out, shutting the door on that happy family. 


22 comments:

  1. I got the idea somehow that Mattie was older. A baby just brings smiles all around it seems. We have two in our church, and it makes me happy to just see them being held by the mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Levi is the age of my son. Mattie is a couple years younger. I'm probably the same age as 'Grandma', who lives on the property.

      Delete
  2. A privilege to be part of such happiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it straight away. It was truly a privilege to be allowed to play a small part in such a private, joyous time. I've been cooking all day for them. :)

      Delete
  3. It sounds as though that baby is going to be surrounded by love and attention - which is sadly something that can't always be taken for granted. My middle name is the same as my father's name as was common in my generation in this part of the world - not sure if that's still a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother's middle name is my father's name. Of course, I could flummox you by telling you that I was named for my grandfather. His father was William Adelbert, and everyone called him 'Deb'. When my grandfather was born, people took to calling my great grandfather 'Big Deb'. My grandfather was called 'Little Deb'.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations to everyone. Interesting about the middle initial being to honour his father's name. You painted such a happy picture of the new baby's arrival home - bet they were glad to see Mattie too of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could have seen the excitement on those faces. 8 children rushing the car. That baby's feet will not touch ground until he's 3, I bet.

      Delete
  5. I thought I knew a lot about Amish but I didn't know that about middle names.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really captured that moment in time. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was special. Mattie has been quite an inspirational figure to me. So quiet and calm as she navigated this uncertainty and rose above her own fears.

      Delete
  7. No middle names but a middle initial? That's an interesting piece of trivia I never knew. Is that true of all Amish or just their family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking it up, I see that it is for all Amish.

      Delete
  8. You described it well! Happy story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was such a joy to be a small part of it.

      Delete
  9. And I can only imagine that Mattie will be up today doing laundry without a machine with one hand and holding her new baby to her bosom with the other. Oh my. They are tough people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually have a 'way'. The woman gets 9 quiet days, one day for each month to rest and savor her time with the baby. I think that's sweet. Today was the children's last day of school, so she will have them all home with her and they will be a tremendous help around the house, I'm sure.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Sunny Days.

 William's here for the weekend, which is nice. (His parents are going to a childfree wedding.) He wanted to see a movie very badly. It ...