Monday, April 24, 2023

Reality - virtual and otherwise

 Today was a day of great excitement here at our house. William has been wild to get a VR set. He's been saving money but since he's begun saving the prices have gone from $349 to $399. He was discouraged. 

It was actually Ed that gave me the idea. His girls had gotten one, and he said that they played it and played it for a month or so, and then it was simply set aside. 

I wondered if it was possible to get a used unit, so I began snooping around on ebay. The first one was $220. Free shipping. I bought it with pay pal and went to bed. The next morning I got up and saw that the seller had canceled payment, citing a problem with our address. I checked our address and it was correct, so I sent a message asking him what the problem was. 

In reply: "hey thanks for reaching out there is no issues or damages with console, we only accept chime cashapp or Zelle. We are currently having issues with ebay pay at the moment. Shipping is over night with usps so you will have it overnight. Comes with all chords. Everything is included. No damages or scratches runs smooth."

 Okay. I may not be the most technologically gifted person in the world but I did not just fall off the turnip truck yesterday. Of course, I didn't respond to that message. 

William was so upset. "But maybe..." he had a bunch of ideas about getting that VR. I said, "It's a scam, William, Stop it. There are other people out there." He tried to debate it some more. He really wanted that VR. God help us. HE appears to have fallen off the turnip truck yesterday. 

I did some more checking after he went to bed. It is hard to look when you have an excited boy hanging over your shoulder, certain, with all his optimistic heart, that these too good to be true deals were true. I found a seller with a long history of buying and selling on e-bay. He had one negative review out of 832 reviews. His unit was $249 with free express shipping. I bought it. William has $90 at this point. and he will be starting his lawn mowing job. Combined with his allowance and his pay for helping out at the renovation, he could have his VR by the time that school lets out. 

The next morning, I told William what I'd done, and he was thrilled. I did say, "Listen, I know nothing about these things, so what will happen here is that you will get a night to tinker so that we know that it works. When the night is over, it will be packed back up and put away until you get the money to pay for it. 

He quickly agreed this was fair. 

(Side note: we have noticed that having something on a shelf is powerful motivation. Once he has the item in his possession, all the promises of repayment fade away. Then we need to nag and prompt, which I HAAAAATE. We believe in intrinsic motivation vs. extrinsic, and so it is put away. He doesn't know where.) 

It arrived today, and he has had his evening. He's thrilled to smithereens. It had me befuddled, but once in William's hands, he had it up and operating as quick as a wink. We have an Iphone that Cara and Colin gave me to use when I was in the UK. It was an old one that they no longer used, so she sent it back stateside with me. It is perfect for William's new toy and he spent the evening in his room learning his new gadget. 

It works as it is supposed to work and is now packed back up and put away. The ebay review has been given. 

I spent the day in the kitchen. The original plan was to have a homecoming meal for Mattie and family, but that changed up, when Mattie asked Levi to ask me would I come along for the trip. It probably made it more comfortable for her to have someone to talk with for the hour drive home. 

Of course, I said that I would come (miss a chance to admire a newborn baby? Not on your life!), and so the lasagna supper was arranged for their second night home. 

So, I cooked all day, and Tim and I headed out to make our delivery. When we got to their house, it was very quiet. Their old dog sat in the front yard. He no longer barks when we pull in. I carried the lasagna onto their big covered porch. I could see the table neatly set, but no one was in the kitchen. The house was dead quiet.

I have never seen that house dead quiet. Especially the kitchen, which is the heart of the activity. 

We heard a yell behind us. Levi and the boys were coming up from the barn. "Just go on in," he said. So we opened the door and went inside that quiet place. I set the lasagna on the table. Tim set two loaves of garlic bread down along with the texas sheet cake, we turned around to walk back out as Levi was coming in. "What? You're leaving? Mattie will want to see you." He directed me into the bedroom. 

Mattie looked surprised to see me. "We never even heard you pull in!" I imagine not. That room was full of children. One of the little girls was sitting in her little rocking chair tenderly rocking her brother back and forth. A half dozen more children were gathered around. Mattie looked quite weary as she watched from bed. "They've been arguing all afternoon about who gets to hold the baby." 

It made me laugh. The baby isn't sleeping much at night. I observed that all the hubbub just might do the little fellow a world of good. 

I told them all that supper was on the table and we headed back down the hill. 

 

21 comments:

  1. You were wise to be wary about that purchase..it pays to do the research..so well done!..and to William too for his patience.

    Isn't it great when siblings join in and be family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will hear nothing but VR talk until he gets his new toy in his hands.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you were able to find one... and not get scammed in the process. As for my VR set, the girls played with it pretty much non-stop this past weekend. Funny how things become popular again. But I have no doubt that it will probably be gathering dust again in a month or two. Hopefully William gets more use out of his than mine have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that I could find one. It's just always a bit terrifying buying unfamiliar technology sight unseen. In this case it worked out.

      Delete
  3. It is so lovely to think of the love that baby is getting. He will be the special pet of the family... until another one comes along! How old is Mattie?
    Good for William! And good for you, Grandmother, for making his dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would have made his dream come true. I just found a more cost effective way to do it.

      Delete
  4. They live life as it used to be lived, but they borrow (ie you and conveniences) from the modern world, so it isn’t quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not. I don't quite understand it all, but honestly don't feel that I need to. We all have the freedom to live our lives in the way that makes sense to us.

      Delete
    2. What a rare and wonderful opportunity for friendship! Joan

      Delete
    3. It is not really all that uncommon here.

      Delete
  5. Good job securing the VR unit. (And for detecting the scam!) I'd be curious to see how it works. I have absolutely no idea what it might do or even what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just reading about scams like that in my AARP newsletter. Good thing you did not fall for it and that your warned William about that too. He will be proud when he has earned the $$ to pay you back so he can play with it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a pretty suspicious sort, but I've seen that particular scam before. Tim wanted to make a purchase. They would not accept paypal, or a credit card. They would not accept a certified check. It had to be Zelle. Zelle is the payment choice of scammers because once payment is made, it is between you and the seller if the deal goes south. Zelle does not investigate or refund. I'm not sure about the others this particular scammer listed, but I would assume those payments methods are much the same. In Tim's case, I was able to go to BBB and investigate the company and discover that it was a fraudulent company. Unfortunately, this investigative technique cannot be used one e-bay sellers. The seller told Paypal that our address was incorrect. They refunded the money to my account. The seller tried to get us to switch to their preferred payment method, claiming that e-bay wasn't paying. Paypal is the payer, and the payment had been made and refused, because, like a credit card, Paypal will investigate. If you are the victim of fraud, Paypal will take the money back from the seller.

      Delete
  7. May the grass in your neighbourhood grow faster than usual and need lots of mowing so the young man can earn the money for his dream! You're right about the power of the item on the shelf; a friend of mine used to control his class by standing his guitar in the corner of the room, nothing was ever said but the children soon worked out that if they behaved well there'd be time for some music at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's mowing for an elderly woman. She adores him, and always has a treat for him. Wanting is a powerful motivation.

      Delete
  8. Good job with William. Most people are too impatient to go through that just to teach a kid something very basic about finance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really a pretty basic building block for life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one excellent way to motivate a person. I might have to borrow that strategy with my kiddos. Good luck to William in working hard to get his reward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saves on debating. Debating irritates me.

      Delete
  11. The anonymous comments are mine. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

More about Fashion (a topic I know little about).

 While we are on the subject of fashion, I have to tell  you, when I read about this, I thought for sure that it was one of those bogus news...