Monday, April 3, 2023

A bitsa day here too, GZ

 Gz described it over at her blog: "One of those days where you feel as if you haven't done much...but you actually have."

That could describe my day as well. Our plan was to head over to the renovation. We are tearing off the rotten clapboard siding. It is a dirty job and so I wore my oldest clothes. I figured that I would have my shower after we got the job done. I put some venison in the crockpot and I stripped the beds and got the sheets in the washer before leaving. 

The job was just as tedious and dirty as I expected, and damn, those boards were put up with an eye towards making sure they didn't go anywhere. 100 years later, they were still holding on. But, we got it done and the felt paper ripped off, and we threw it all on the dump truck to be hauled to the burn pile down on the retirement property. 

Except...the ratchet strap was stuck. We dumbed around with it for a half hour, but it stayed stuck. We hooked multiple bungees together, to secure the load long enough to get us to the nearest hardware store for a new ratchet strap. 

We set off once again. It was then that I noticed my phone wasn't working. I'd just added my minutes on that very morning and received my customary text saying that I was good until May 3rd. After that, the phone simply quit working. No mobile data, no text, no phone service. Ugh!

Tim was hungry. He wanted to get a bite to eat. I died a little. Remember, I was unshowered and dirty. "You're fine,' he said, in a hangry (hungry and angry) sort of way. So. We ate. 

When we got to the property, we were surprised to see pieces of roof all over the place. The property has an old house, but we use it for storage, due to the fact that the place provides homes for many critters, to include snakes. We once had a woodchuck in the attic, and I'm not even kidding. So. We don't stay in the house, because my husband has a wuss for a wife. But we do use it for storage. We collect the things for the new build and store them inside. The damaged roof was not good news. We do not need more work to do, but we also need that house to last until the new house is built.

We could see that we had part of a very large pine tree in the garden. Another tree was down next to the house (but not on it, so hey...bonus. A couple years ago, two pine trees did fall on the house.) This tree lay across the creek. It even missed the bridge.


 We drove down to the burn pile a little dispiritedly. The last thing we need is more to do. I pointed out two more trees down in the woods. 

"Yeah," Tim said. 

While he was dumping, I crossed the bridge to take a closer took. These were some pretty big trees. As I investigated those, I saw more downed trees. I walked deeper into the woods. The wind must have been intense. At least 15 more large trees were down, all in a big tangle. I walked back up to tell Tim. 

"Yeah," Tim said. 

Amazingly, for all that wind, the camper was fine. 

He wanted to stake out the new house. We've got our excavator lined up and the fellows who are going to pour the basement. He's getting the permit paperwork together. Once we get the permits, it's go time on that project. He needed to talk to my nephew, who's the township supervisor, but Jim was not home. 

We stopped in at my sister's and I helped her stuff Easter eggs for the big Easter egg hunt for a little bit, but we had to get home. It was nearly time to pick up William from school. 

I threw the sheets in the dryer and I got supper while trying to sort out the phone situation. I was escalated twice, and was told that someone would have to call me back. "Do you have an approximate time?" I asked, because the phone call would have to come via the landline. "One hour," she assured me. "4:45 eastern time."

I slapped supper on the table and got the dishes done. 

That phone call never came. 

Of course. 

About 8 PM, I remembered that I still had beds to make. I got the sheets from the dryer, and headed upstairs. 

Somehow magically, my phone began to work.

It felt like we were spinning our wheels for most of the day (Rejoice...I didn't even trouble you with the truck problem!) but somehow, at the end of it, we managed to get a decent amount of stuff accomplished. 

'A bitsa day.' That sounds much better than what I was calling it in my head. 

I am sure I'll feel better after I get that shower. 

~Morgan Freeman's voice~ "But she did NOT in fact feel better after her shower."

I found a tick on my person in the shower. We've been warned it will be a bad year for them. I know better. I was so distracted by the downed trees that I marched across the field into the woods without repellant. Didn't even think about it. 

Also: Serious weather threat on Wednesday, calling for severe thunder and lightning. 

No drinking or raccoons, but I am considering my options. 



32 comments:

  1. I think Morgan Freeman might have the answer. Surely fighting a raccoon couldn't be worse than the day you had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO drinking or raccoons? That would have ended the day so well! I just KNEW you were going to get to evening and realize the bed was still unmade. I try and force myself to make the bed as soon as it's stripped, but on occasion that isn't part of the plan and I hate that realization that Something has to be Sorted before you can sleep . . .

    LOVE that old property. What a shame about those trees though. They must be the shallow-rooted sort if they are falling down all over the place.

    I hope the severe weather drowns a few ticks . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, see, I have this idea. Each bed has one set of sheets. Each week, I strip the beds, throw everything in the washer, dry it, and put it back on the bed. It is how I avoid folding fitted sheets.

      Those trees are shallow rooted, and the ground is soft in the spring with all the melt off. Our property borders on a wetland/swamp, which has increased in size due to some very busy beavers.

      Delete
  3. I often indulge and have an hot toddy or two when there is a gale forecast. It's good to sleep through them instead of being awake in a house that feels like it's a ship on a stormy sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our house does not rock in the wind, but I am considering taking up heavy drinking. :)

      Delete
  4. I think you are both doing too much, especially after Tim's clash with illness. I am sort of glad not to live in America with all the weather you experience over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will get no argument from me on that point. It is a major sticking point, something constantly regnotiated between us. Tim is a worker. As we bought houses, fixed them up and resold or rented them, our financial situation improved. I would like to take life a bit slower. I have a lot of things that I would like to do. He bought this house five years ago. I did not want him to do it, but it was $15.000 and about to be condemned, so the owners were anxious to unload it quickly. I drew a line. I was working full time, and leaving work, coming home, and working on a renovation. The weekends were eaten up by renovations. Plus we had two more unexpected renovatoins tossed in that mix. I finally began putting my foot down. How much is enough? What's the point of having a comfortable life if you don't get to live a comfortable life? My trip to England last year was a solo trip because Tim wouldn't commit to a time. He had the renovation timeline set up. I had enough. I went by myself. This recent health thing has slowed him down. He tires a lot more easily. If I did not go with him, he'd go alone and work his ass off. So I go. I don't like it, and strangely enough, I don't think that he's enjoying it either. I think he's ready to be done, and I'll be glad when we are.

      Delete
  5. I think we sometimes surprise ourselves by how well we cope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tick was just about the final straw.

      Delete
  6. That’s a full day. Feels like about a week’s worth of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a full day.. Unfortunately, the to-do list is now longer, so I feel like we really didn't make any progress.

      Delete
  7. Well, no one can say you're not busy! I laughed at the whole Morgan Freeman thing. At least your phone is working again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly do not understand how in the world y'all manage to do the work you're doing. It just sounds so brutal! I think it's time for you to plan another trip if you haven't already.
    A tornado may have touched down where those trees were, taking them out and passing by the camper. Is that a possibility?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a possibility. The good news? We went back today with tick spray. The major tangle of trees is not on our property. We have a half dozen down. Damn tick bite is turning into a bullseye.

      Delete
    2. A tick bite that turns into a bullseye can be indicative of Lyme disease. Please be careful.

      Delete
    3. Yes. I'm watching it carefully. I'll know whether it is growing in 24 hours, I'd say.

      Delete
    4. Damn ticks. But I'm glad the trees that fell were not YOUR trees.

      Delete
  9. "Slow down, you move too fast..." That's the first thing I thought of when I read your post. Now I have that song stuck in my head! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not working this weekend. One of us damn well means it.

      Delete
  10. You wore me out with your day just reading your post! I bet it would have been a wild time in that camper had you stayed there as Tim wanted to! We have another round of very severe storms tonight with our place in the bullseye. I'm not looking forward to it. I just stocked up on tick repellant the other day because I saw some in the discount rack between aisles at the drugstore. Mushroom season is fast approaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate bugs in the house and I hate bugs on me. It is a major "thing' with me. I imagine it would have been alarming.

      Delete
  11. If you need something doing, get a busy person to do it. Something a work colleague told me when I was snowed under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do. Not. Ask. Me. To. Do. One. More. Thing.

      Delete
  12. What a day! I can see why getting hammered and battling a raccoon was on the table. Hang in there, good luck and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the best thing that you can say about a day is that it is done!

      Delete
  13. I'm about sick of severe weather threats. They've pretty much been weekly the past three months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Every single time I watch the weather, I think of you, Bob and Ed.

      Delete
  14. That was a day! I am tired just reading it. So sorry about it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just one of those days that for everything you accomplish, a new task pops up.

      Delete
    2. Frustrating..when you know you have done so much

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

More about Fashion (a topic I know little about).

 While we are on the subject of fashion, I have to tell  you, when I read about this, I thought for sure that it was one of those bogus news...