Sunday, January 28, 2024

Tiny Dancer


My oldest grandaughter is taking ballet lessons. She's wanted to for a while now. She started to want that once she was enrolled in gymnastics which she also wanted. Her parents had paid for a block of lessons, and so they encouraged her to finish out the prepaid lessons in gymnastics before she moved on to something new.

But by the time she finished gymnastics, we were all waiting for her baby sister to arrive. I discovered instructional videos geared to children. Those videos taught basic positions and postures. I loved watching her watching them with an intentness. She would study the videos, study her feet, correct it, and at the end, do a short dance to music with the instructor. 

I left mom with the link. If she found herself needing a short break for baby care, this would provide a good distraction for her oldest. 

Then there were two, and while a baby can be taken to a gym and not cause disruption, a crying baby at a dance studio might be a problem. Her father was involved in a massive project for his work and was traveling more than usual, and so ballet was delayed once again. She played soccer for a year, an activity that allowed for the squalling of a baby sister if required. 

This year, finally, at five, she has gotten her wish. She is finally doing ballet, and she loves it. I was talking to her on the phone and she told me that that very day, she had her ballet picture taken. She told me that she wore make-up. REAL makeup. Stuff on her eyes, stuff on her cheeks, and LIPSTICK!

I expressed great shock that all this had happened since I saw her last. Her reply was great. Matter-of-factly, she replied, "Yes. I'm not your little girl anymore."

Her mother sent me her picture and it took my breath away.

Sometimes when little girls have their pictures taken for these things, they look like little girls playing dress up. This little girl did not. Her mother was reluctant to have her wearing make-up and had applied it with a light hand. Her long blond hair was pinned up and she stood there in her tutu, arms raised above her head.

Maybe it was the expression on her face, the sweet confidence of an assured child. I don't know. It's hard to explain, but the camera caught it: she did not look like a child playing dressup. She looked like a ballerina playing that she was a child once again. 

It was shocking to me. I wish that I could explain it better, but that picture will be treasured. 



16 comments:

  1. That's nice that she got to take ballet lessons and that she's enjoying it so much. I remember taking my middle daughter to ballet lessons, she was not a fan:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will go through so many stages, won't they? It is hard to imagine what children/grandchildren will be like when they are grown. I just want them to have peace, love, joy throughout their life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet she felt like a million dollars too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it when my granddaughter took dance, including ballet, and I got to attend recitals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter used to show my dad her ballet moves. He used to tell her that she was only doing it to remind him of what he could no longer go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely get this, Debby. You wrote it so well. "...she did not look like a child playing dressup. She looked like a ballerina playing that she was a child once again."
    Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Children are such a pleasure. I hope she dances her way through life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having waited so long, she will really appreciate her lessons. Lovely memory!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How precious! I had five children in seven years and I know they thought they suffered because I was limited in how many things they could participate in. My oldest daughter did take ballet lessons and loved it. Unfortunately it interfered with even more activities the older she became. I hope your granddaughter enjoys her dancing experience and that you are able to attend a recital!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grandma's pride knows no bounds, and it seems like it is justified.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww there’s something so precious about those little ballerinas! I have photos like that of our eldest daughter.. and I just loved watching all the little 2-3 year olds dancing at practice! I’m so glad your granddaughter got her wish! Who knows- broadway could have a new star in the making! (My daughter didn’t get that far!😄)Xo, Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a middle school teacher you could always pick out the dancers. They carried themselves with confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Speaking as a grandmother to a tiny dancer who is now a teenage dancer, it's a lot of fun. I'm so happy your little granddaughter's dream has come true at last.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My youngest daughter competed in Scottish Country dancing and their group always came in second because the first place group had one boy in it. All the rest of the groups only had girls. I took ballet but I was not the right physique for ballet and the teacher always called me a silly goose. I did love being in the recitals and dressing up though. I bet your granddaughter will love it too. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you attached the Elton video at the end because just seeing the title of your post had that song echoing in my head while reading it.

    Both of our girls started out in dance when young. Good lord it got expensive quickly and all the recitals (day long events) got old fast. Fortunately, the teacher was someone who played favorites and my girls quickly realized they, being newcomers, weren't going to be stars and moved onto other pursuits. Hopefully your granddaughter's outfit doesn't teach that way and all the costumes are cheaper.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...