Thursday, January 18, 2024

Here, There and Everywhere.

 Just to be clear, the baby isn't chugging balsamic vinegar on a daily (or even a weekly) basis. She gets lemons even less often than that. But she loves them and that is interesting. 

We went to Erie yesterday, for Tim's appointment. It was bitterly cold, 5 degrees. As we got closer and closer to lake Erie, the wind gusts became fierce. We watched both a semi truck with trailer (we feel that the load was either light, or it was running empty) and a truck pulling a camper veering wildly from side to side during wind gusts. We stayed back and did not dare to pass. 

We got there safely. 

On the way back home, we passed by a Troyer farm store. They were advertising potatoes at $15 for a 50# bag. I pointed that out to Tim right away. We were using up the last of our 50 pound bag from last fall, and we do love red potatoes. So Tim pulled in. Much to our surprise, the woman told us that the bags were now $10. Tim looked surprised but bought 100 pounds of potatoes without a blink. We have plenty to share with anyone who wants them. I have the ham, onion, celery mix simmering away in the crockpot. It will become potato soup, but Tim has asked for his favorite thing: pork chops with mashed potatoes, so that will be supper tonight. 

We stopped in at the Amish discount grocery on the way home. We didn't need a lot, but it is always good to check out what they have, just in case. They had little hams for $4.49. That is each, not per pound. I bought one to throw in the freezer. I also picked up some tomato paste, Tim picked up a couple boxes of cereal. I found William's favorite candy bars, 4 for a dollar. Tim picked up some chips and popcorn.  We walked out of there with a box of things for $20. 

One thing is that they have bins of make up. Some of it is the really pricey stuff. All of it marked as 99 cents each. I noticed that I was running low on foundation, and so, without any real hope, I glanced through the bins. I could not believe that I found my liquid foundation, and in the right shade too. 

I needed to use the restroom while I was there, and something that also intrigued me was the amount of makeup in that bathroom. They have a table covered with different kinds of make up. Right next to the sink, there is a bottle of facewash, presumably to scrub it all off before the girls go home after their shifts. 

So. That was our day. We got home safely, put our things away and had a quiet night in. 

It is much warmer today, 23 degrees F. It is a gray day and snowing. 

Tomorrow is my youngest daughter's 34th birthday. I'm looking forward to a phone chat with her and wish that I could be sitting down with her for a visit in person.

On a side note: so many in our little blogging circle are dealing with such big, big things. We have never met, but isn't it interesting that you can know people, and grieve for them too just by our interactions on the web? I'm sure that it is not just me. 

Virtual hugs for all of you. My best thoughts go to you. I am glad you are a part of my life. 


33 comments:

  1. It's always good to buy in bulk especially when the weather is bad. Best thoughts to you and Tim and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100 pounds of potatoes is way more than any sensible people need, but if someone wants five pounds of potatoes, we can give them away.

      Delete
  2. I joined a canning group on FB and those people can everything, including potatoes that they get on sale. So...
    I think I'd rather give some away.
    And they sell make-up at the Amish store? What's up with that?
    I hope that Tim's appointment went well.
    And yes, we do come to cherish and worry about our blog community people. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Amish store is just a collection of random stuff from other stores. They buy it in bulk. It's close to expiring or it's not selling. It is sold by the pallet, and the bidders have to take the whole pallet, even if there's a box of make up in there. The store is run by Amish, but the shoppers are mostly 'English'. The Mennonites run stores like that on the other side of the state where my son lives. I think when you are buying hermetically sealed food, food just doesn't become inedible by the date on the box. It's silly. I examine the food closely. If the package is not bad, it the seals are not broken, if there is no bulging, etc. I will buy it. Dried beans, pasta, crackers, seasonings.

      Strangely, Mattie, my Amish friend will not. Her husband doesn't like buying outdated food.

      Delete
    2. Lots of folks don’t know that food that is past its “Best by” or “Sell by” date is safe to eat — it just might not taste as good…. But it really depends what it is. Canned peaches don’t hold up well, for example, but I’ve eaten plenty of things that were just fine… Though I once found a couple of bulging cans of mandarin orange slices at the back of my mom’s pantry — definitely nobody was going to eat those!!

      Delete
  3. I'm apologizing in advance for the snow and cold weather we will be sending your way later this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your daughter. I hope all is well with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a discouraging time, but compared to the trials of others n blogland, I need to shut up.

      Delete
  5. You seem to have had a good day of frugal bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same reaction to your mention of makeup as Ms. Moon -- I never imagined makeup in an Amish store! So interesting to read your explanation. The potatoes sound like a bargain too.

    Thanks for your comment on my post, BTW. I would never delete it! I understand and agree with all that you're saying -- in fact I didn't mean to sound like I was "picking apart" Biden. I'm just frustrated that his successes don't seem to be understood or appreciated. He certainly has my vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not want to sound like 'she who must not be named'. I really wrestled with it. 'To post or not to post - that is the question.'

      Delete
  7. Whew! Glad that little girl isn't downing vinegar like a soda pop! Sounds like a lovely adventure. There's such a store north of me. I should check it out, because one friend comes back with oodles of good deals. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter in law is a nurse. There has never been a more sensible mama than that girl.

      Delete
  8. How do you keep the potatoes from going bad before you use them? I have trouble getting through a 5 lb bag!
    Happy Birthday to your daughter! My daughter is 34 also and I am glad that she only lives about 25 minutes away now compared to the 3 hours away she used to be.
    Hope is going well with Tim's health! I care so much about my blog friends and think of all of you often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim loves potatoes. We have a 50 bag upstairs. The only time we run heat is if company is staying over. So it is cold but not dry. The second bag of potatoes is at the top of the basement stairs landing. They hold.

      Delete
  9. Goodness, that's a lot of taters! Same question...how do you keep them from going bad? I have a cold cupboard which is rarely opened, and they still start to get eyes. I only buy 5 pound bags, and this week is Green Giant's Yukon potatoes! Yes, we have a community of friends here in blogland. We get to know each other pretty well over time. And we care for each other's well being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat potatoes 4 or 5 times a week, in all their incarnations: mashed, baked, fried, in soups or stews and cottage pies. So the first thing is to use them. That last 50 lb bag lasted 2 months.

      Delete
  10. Soldier on everyone. There is no alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to go to that store! What bargains you got. Our best bet here is Aldi's.
    You can freeze potatoes, you know, if they are cooked first. I sometimes freeze fried potatoes just to have on hand. And you can freeze potato soup too. Or can it, if you do so before your puree it.

    Hugs to all those having a hard time right now. It does help to have people in blogland who read and care about each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? I forgot that. If they start to 'turn', I can do that.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a good haul l! I love mashed potatoes too 😋 Bright and sunny here today, and still below freezing.. with even colder weather coming up.. no rest until around Tuesday! We’ve got lots of good though, and wood stove heat is just so much better than just the mini splits in my opinion… stay warm and cozy.. xo, Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are cozy and well carbed. I got my wool socks. Don't have to go outside if I don't wanna. Life is good!

      Delete
  13. You're a very kind , thoughtful and caring person to those people who are in need.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday to your youngest. Hope you guys get to have a nice visit. That is very interesting about the Amish store. I had no idea but we don't anything like that near us. A virtual hug to you as well and I am definitely glad that you are a part of my life. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great buy on those potatoes! We have some Amish stores around us too. You do need to check dates carefully. They also sell dented cans at a discount, but those really scare me. The hams sure were a buy! I know even if it is listed as last date - I can always throw them in the freezer! Happy Birthday to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got some bargains. I was surprised at the makeup on offer in the Amish store - wouldn't have thought that was "their thing", but perhaps they get a good deal on it and its there for that reason. You'll be able to set up a still now and make Vodka from all those spuds!

    I have been grounded without a car for 3 days and will be so glad to get it back today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good bargains, well done both.
    Hope Tim's results are ok

    We may not, most of us, actually meet.
    But we are getting to know each other and virtual support is valuable

    ReplyDelete
  18. I recall pulling a car (on a trailer) with a UHaul in a snowstorm. It was a very long trip. Somehow, I made it despite Sue seeing swerving in the car she was driving behind. We passed cars that didn't make it in ditches. It was harrowing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. $10 for a 50# bag of potatoes? Seriously? I think it's about $4 for a 5 pound bag over here at the commissary. I think. You had a really good day!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...