Thursday, January 25, 2024

For Ruth W.

 Just a short one today (keep the cheering down in the back, folks!!!) 

For Ruth W in Maryland:

Pizza dough recipe for a thick crust or pan pizza.

1 1/2 cup warm water

1 pkg of yeast (a little over two tsp)

2 tsp salt

2 tsp sugar

(I have a kitchenaid mixer so I combine these things and give the yeast time to work and bubble).

I mixed in a good shake of basil and mixed it together. 

Next step:

4 cups flour

1/2 cup olive oil. 

(I added three cups of flour while the machine was beating it together. I drizzled the olive oil in as I added the last cup of flour)

Once it make a ball and pulls away from the sides of the mixer bowl, I take the lump of dough out and work it into a ball, drop it back in the mixer bowl and then (this is just me), I set the metal mixing bowl into a couple inches of warm water. I just use a bowl. I cover the mixer bowl with a kitchen towel and leave it be. 

In a half hour-45 minutes, the dough has doubled in size. Preset your oven to 400. I had a couple tablespoons of olive oil sizzling in my cast iron fry pan, I shut off the flame and stretched my dough with my hands. (Some people prefer to roll it out.) I settle the dough into the hot pan and work it up at the sides. I top it and then pop the whole thing into the oven and let it bake for 20 minutes (? I didn't time it. I pulled it out when the cheese looked right and the crust was browned. 

(Note: some people like to put the pan in the oven for maybe five minutes to give the dough a lead on the baking. I don't, but I read that some do.)

We checked in to changing CPAs. Turns out that is not something that should be done during tax season. 

Note to all who suggested using a computerized tax preparation 'app': Our problem is that there is a difference between maintenance and renovations and there are things that need to be prorated over the course of years. It was also complicated by the fact that we had income coming from two different states, both of which had different laws. So it's not so much the calculations so much as the tax laws, some of which change from one year to the next. 

So that's about it. Worked at the new build today. 



27 comments:

  1. Great sounding pizza. I keep thinking I can live without a standing mixer/thingie. But I love breads, and it seems to make the dough so much easier. Yep, you've got lots of work for your CPA, and they better get it right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I love is that it leaves your hands free. Mine has a dough hook and it makes bread making a breeze.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. We have been using ground turkey or chicken as our crust and it is pretty awesome. Highly recommend. Good luck with the build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you use a white sauce or a red? This is Debby, btw.

      Delete
  3. Yeah. . . . I have a bad story about those computerized tax preparers, too. Our pensions are "tricky" and the program doesn't recognize that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that there are so many little legal things. We are worried about changes that we are not aware of, which would wind up costing us big, or worse yet, get ourselves in a legal jam.

      Delete
  4. This is almost eerie. I made a pizza yesterday, sent a photo to my friend Diana and she asked if the crust was homemade. I said it was not, I got it from a can of dough you stretch out, but I'd love to make my own someday. I think this was a sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is not difficult. Do it!

      Delete
  5. Tax is a minefield. All the best with getting a new accountant when you can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and I don't see why it really should be so complicated.

      Delete
  6. I hope your tax affairs are resolved soon - these things hang over your head and cause stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually not stressed about it at all. If they screw up our taxes and we are audited, it is their case to resolve. The only way Tim or I could be charged is if we colluded to defraud the government. We don't. We give them the figures, they figure out all the depreciation and decide what is rehab and what is maintenance and things like that.

      Delete
  7. Your tax affairs are certainly complicated and for a professional to work out. It should not be too hard to find someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Andrew! Spoken like someone in a big city. We have three choices here. We can go out of town, but the question becomes what town? We know we have a move in our future.

      Delete
  8. I have done my own tax on the computer for years. I would prefer not to do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before we started our own business, so to speak, taxes were pretty straight forward.

      Delete
  9. Thank you SO much for the pizza dough recipe! I'd better buy some olive oil. I appreciate all the extra explanations as well, they will make it easier to have a good result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dough is pretty easy, once you have done it a few times.

      Delete
  10. My guy likes thin crust pizza which I find to be much harder to make as a homemade pizza- it just does not hold all that I want it to hold when it comes to ingredients. But we persevere! Homemade pizza is not that hard and it is delicious.
    Your tax situation IS a bitch. Darn, honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. Not really. It doesn't bother me (see the response to Jabblog above. It's just that I really, REALLY hate paying hundreds of dollars (and yes, it is that much...I believe we broke it down into three payments this year) for shoddy inefficiency. It is a pet peeve.

      Delete
  11. I'm confident that you guys will get the tax accountant situation resolved as you always seem so good at making things work, Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a bit of a heathen. After years of making my own pizza crusts, I bought one of those prepackaged ones where you only add half a cut of water, wait ten minutes and use. Nobody ever noticed the difference, including me. So now that is all I use since I can prep ingredients and dough all while the cast iron pan is heating up.

    I also don't precook the crust any but then I heat up my pan and cook the pizza at 450 degrees so the crust does a fair amount of cooking while I put the toppings on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Gasp!*

      LOL.

      It surprises me that after making it from scratch, you would find it easier to do packaged mixes. It's so simple. But then you're talking to a woman who goes through a few premade pie crusts, so who am I to judge?

      Delete
  13. 8 a.m. and now I want pizza 🍕! Thanks, folks!!
    Marcia in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say that like it is a bad thing...

      Delete
    2. LOL ... I ended up doctoring up a spinach and mushroom Lean Cuisine pizza 🍕 with onion, olives, red pepper flakes, pepperoni and more cheese! Delicious and not a bad thing at all!! Had it for my brunch!!
      Marcia in Colorado

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...