Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Going With The Flow

We woke up to a steady snow. We don't have to worry about accumulations however. The temperatures are hovering at freezing right now, but in about an hour, we are supposed to start getting some pretty heavy winds which will last for the rest of the day, 20-30 mph, with gusts up to 50 mph. (That's nothing compared to the 106 mph measured wind gusts happening in Florida. Hang on to your hat, Mary Moon and check in when you can) Those wind gusts are supposed to being in a day's worth of warmer temperatures and some very heavy rain. However, for right now, it is dead quiet, with the snow falling. 

It's kind of cool to be sitting here at the computer, sipping my hot coffee and watching the trees out the front window. I am just beginning to see the branches catching the first air movement, giving hints of what is on the way. 

It doesn't matter to me, really. I just go with the flow. I don't have anything pressing to do outside. A load of laundry in the washer. A pot of what will turn into chicken vegetable soup in the crock pot. If the power goes off, I'll just put it in a pot and slap it on the gas stove. If the power stays on, I'll vacuum. If it goes off, I'll dust and sweep and mop the kitchen floor. There is always something, isn't there? Maybe I'll even take down that Christmas tree!

I also have a book. It's one of those books that you read with your phone nearby, so that you can google things like 'the Peterloo conspiracy or the Cato Street massacre. I like history, and fitting a county's history into the larger history of the world's history is endlessly fascinating to me. The author does a good job at that. I was ridiculously tickled that when I read the words 'Tolpuddle martyrs', I knew exactly what they were referring to, having watched 16 seasons of the Antiques Roadtrip. (Yay, me!) 

So, let it blow. I'm well prepared to hole up for the day if it comes down to it. By Wednesday, this should be done, which is good news. I'm away on a break for a few days. I was trying to remember the last time that I went off. I can't. I'm overdue some grandma time. 


33 comments:

  1. Oh goodie - grandma time has come around again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma is sure looking forward to the time.

      Delete
  2. Not sure if I will be going out today as we are having some snow. It is unsure how much but I am ready to read, too! Best way to spend a snowy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I didn't get back to my book, although I did get the Christmas tree down!

      Delete
  3. ....slap it on the gas stove. My kind of cooking. I can almost smell it from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're invited for supper, bring your wife and maybe a puppy or two.

      Delete
  4. Kids have a snow day today for the storm that didn't eventuate overnight. But we are expecting quite the weather tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our storm was a bit of a fizzle, and I'm not at all sorry about that!

      Delete
  5. We are in the middle. My grandchildren to the west had school cancelled today for snow. My grandchildren to the east had delays due to ice. I am in the strip where it is raining and above freezing. Very disappointing for the grandchildren I put on the bus. Enjoy your coffee and book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I can hear the muttered, "NOT FAIR!" from here!

      Delete
  6. You sound well prepared. 'Oh, the weather outside is frightful . . .'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like it might have saved the biggest scares for other places. We are fine.

      Delete
  7. I am just south of Tampa, and we have heavy winds right now, but the real rain and storms are suppose to hit us tonight, lots of rain and flooding they say. I live in a house that is on the highest elevation in Ruskin, in fact they built the cemetery a block behind us in the late 1800's because of the high elevation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please check in tomorrow morning, Ellie. Be safe.

      Delete
  8. We're good, Debby, but it was a little hairy there for awhile. I honestly got a bit concerned. We were lucky. Some miles west of here had some major devastation due to tornadoes. My kids are all fine, too. No power for some of them, though.
    I hope your storm is as gentle with you as ours was with us. We did get some very heavy gusts but they passed quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to hear from you, Mary. You are the first person I thought of.

      Delete
  9. I always say the best part of retirement is that I do not have to brush the snow off my car. The second best is not driving in it. I made soup for lunch and we are staying in, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your 'planning' has every eventuality covered. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as usual, what I have discovered is when I am prepared for the worst, the worst does not happen.

      Delete
  11. Enjoy the Gramma time. You don't want to miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't. That is a fact. I looked back at my blog. I have not been to their house for almost exactly six months.

      Delete
  12. We’re also waiting for 2-3 inches of rain, and high winds… after the about 14” of snow we got this weekend!🤷‍♀️So far it’s just rain, so we shall wait and see how right the forecast is….Hoping the weather is good for you when you travel to see your grands!🥰 xo, Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind was nothing, really. The transition from snow to rain caused some icy slush problems. It is still raining.

      Delete
  13. Several bloggers have mentioned having a lot of snow. My daughter in Chicago said it didn't last long and had melted, but that was a day or two ago. I need to ask her about today.

    You are such a strong, calm person, Debbie. I imagine you're the person people turn to in a crisis. I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really try to be, but today I lost my temper. I yelled. I am ashamed of myself.

      Delete
  14. I am now inside after having dug out our driveway and sidewalks. After many years of being wrong, we got exactly what they were predicting, 12 to 16 inches of snow and 40 mph winds. Fortunately the snow was really wet so driving and whiteouts weren't much of an issue.

    I'm planning on perhaps working on a painting project today while the world and streets get themselves sorted out. Maybe tomorrow I'll stock up my inside wood pile for the next round supposed to hammer us sometime on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are telling us to expect high winds, but we don't have any snow in the forecast after tomorrow. Wind doesn't need shoveling. The few inches we got yesterday melted off by the end of the day when the warmer winds brought in rain.

      Delete
  15. It's a nice feeling to know you can just hole up and pass some quiet time. That's how I felt when we went to the beach a few weeks ago and it was blustery outside -- "I have nowhere to be, so who cares?!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful thing about the retirement angle...I have that feeling EVERY day.

      Delete
  16. I'm sorry for all of the anonymous comments. They were of course, me. My phone doesn't show blogger recognizing me, after all this time. But when I click 'sign in', it takes me to all the information as if I am already signed in, completely bypassing the sign in stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby ... Have you downloaded DuckDuckGo? I did that and now it blocks me from signing in on some of the blogs I read so I have to sign comments now! This is Marcia LaRue in CO

      Delete
    2. I don't have any games on my phone at all. I can't sign in. The page doesn't even come up.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...