Sunday, January 21, 2024

All's Well that Ends Well.

 Tim had the craziest idea: He wanted to go to the reservation yesterday. I dragged my feet. We had William and it was cold, cold, cold! But he was determined. I did not understand why. He wanted to go to the Salamanca Antique Mall. He wanted to get cheap gas (on the reservation, gas is selling at $2.63 a gallon). Nothing that couldn't be done when the weather was a bit more accommodating. 

But he wasn't being put off and he was prodding everyone to get ready to head off. Snow wasn't coming until 11:30. He thought we could get there before things got ugly and then leave when things started tapering off. I told him that I thought he was crazy. 

But we went, which does not say much about my sanity either.

William was anxious to go. Tim had promised him an early birthday present: One of the dealers sells polished gem stones, and tubes of gold flake, and for whatever reason, he wanted one of those little tubes in the very worst kind of way, so he joined his voice with Tim's. 

I got ready to go and we headed out. 

It was a nice morning. We stopped for a sandwich, and then hit the antique mall. 

These are from Germany. Prewar, probably from the 1920s. Elastolin. I'm not sure why they caught my eye, but they did, and they were so darn cute.


They just reminded me of something on the edge of my mind. Maybe a story book I loved as a young child. Don't know. But I studied them so long that one of the workers passing by asked me if I wanted him to unlock the cabinet. 

I hesitated at my own foolishness. I mean, it surely wasn't anything that I couldn't live without. But...

"Yes," I said. "I want those little ducklings and the rabbit in there." He took them up front for me. 


William got his gold and a small bottle of silver as well. 

Tim even joined the party and got himself a civil war lead bullet. 

We drove back home with our 'smalls', and were happy. We had filled up with gas and even had a couple gas cans in the trunk. I hate when he does this. Coming out of Bradford, there is a big hill. Right off, there was a bit of a slide, and the car fishtailed, which scared the bejeebers out of me. Tim was unbothered, and simply slowed the car down to a steady crawl. "If we can make this hill, we are home free," he said. 

"IF??? IF???" said I. 

But we made the hill, and as we traveled along the ridge back home, snow squalls began, and there were times that we knew that there was a car in front of us, but we could not see it. That is something that scares the mess out of me too. Tim just drove along slowly and steadily. 


As we were passing by the reservoir, I received a message from Cara. She'd sent a funny meme to Tim. 



She didn't know how fitting her little joke was!

But all's well that ends well. We got home safely and William spent a couple of hours pretending he was rich. We'd bought a rack of spareribs for supper, and I got them baking in the oven. (If ever was a good day to use the oven, this was it.)

Tim ducked out to deliver William back home and to show my daughter and son in law how to oil and bleed the water boiler, something that rarely needs to be done, but is important to know how to do in weather like this and is a good fall maintenance chore.

He came back in and we spent the rest of the gray evening following the football game, eating spareribs and baked potatoes and reading about our 'finds' at the antique mall. 

We switched on a couple episodes of Antiques Road Trip, and it tickled me to see Angus Ashworth and David Harper driving along in a little Kharmann Ghia. My first car was a 1969 Kharmann Ghia, like the one below. (although mine never gleamed like that, I'm sorry to say). The question begged an answer: who on earth would pass off a Kharmann Ghia as an antique car, though????!!! (Answer came courtesy of simple math. Once again I understood why math was not my favorite subject.)


Just for entertainment: 


38 comments:

  1. At first glance, I thought those were little statues of The Simpsons because of their golden color. But I enlarged the pic and saw them more clearly - cute! Where will you put them?
    I have always hated driving in weather like that and have avoided it whenever possible. Glad you made it home safely, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avoiding it is the sensible thing. I have always been pretty confident of my winter driving abilities and Tim's too, but I always worry about the other drivers.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...
    This outing reminds me a little bit of the dream you had where the garage was on fire and Tim left, telling you to keep an eye on it. WHY WASN'T HE AS WORRIED AS YOU?
    I get it.
    I always wanted a Karmann Ghia. Always. Still do. Glen says I really don't. And as you know- that means he really doesn't.
    Sigh.
    What a clever contraption to make music that guy has made!
    I love your little duckies and rabbit. They bring you joy. Of course you had to get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you priced them???? I do think they are cute, but not at those prices! Glen's right.

      Delete
    2. When it comes to cars, Glen is always right.

      Delete
  3. At least you have experience of driving in such awful conditions. Just one small scattering of snow here drives all sense out of people's heads. Even so, I would have been alongside you in the white knuckle department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that I'm a baby about weather. I once drove to my son's house through a snowstorm that was so bad that I was passing cars and trucks that had spun off the road, probably 20 accidents. I kept on going, (I knew that the storm was heading west, so what lay behind was bound to be worse than what lay ahead) but my heart was in my throat the whole trip. But it is another thing altogether to have a beloved child in the car with you. That adds a whole 'nuther dimension of fear to the scenario.

      Delete
  4. So glad you all got home and had that lovely dinner. Did you look up any info on your duckies and rabbit. I don't know Elastolin, but imagine it some rubbery/plastic pre-war substance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just right. In the build up to the second world war, the industry produced figures of the Nazi regime. Toy production ceased altogether during the war.

      Delete
  5. Gulp on that winter driving tip! As for those knickknacks...you're going to have to dust those yknow. Just saying. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about a dome for those ducks!!
    A good trip even if nerve-racking at times.
    We have just driven back through the strongest storm this year...and it is ramping up outside now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The figures are quite small. I can hold them all in one hand and run them under the faucet and place them on a towel to dry. I read about Isha. Take care of yourselves. It sounds like a doozy.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful music making machine that is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know about driving in conditions like that when you don't have to. I wouldn't be permitted, I can tell you. I do live with a cautious woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AC, what I have noticed in this past year of challenges with Tim is that this quiet person will do what he wants, regardless. I probably have less say than I have had in the history of our marriage. It can be frightening sometimes. Saturday was one of those days.

      Delete
  9. You had quite a nice day out, it seems, in spite of a little road slide.
    I love odd musical instruments like the one you showed.
    In the 70s I drove hundreds of different cars, sadly not a Karma Ghia. They were quite rare here but clearly part of a large enough market to make right hand drive models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine just how long it took to build that machine???

      Delete
  10. My dream car was a Karman Ghia - semi automatic and (gosh forbid) orange. Starting when I was 15, I used to go to the dealership and get the brochures for the new models. I still have around someplace here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, mine was 7 years old when I bought it. It was not new. It was also a standard transmission.

      Delete
  11. I was on tenterhooks reading about your journey to the reservation when bad weather was forecast. MEN!! I'm glad you all came home with a little treat though - AND made it up that hill. Amazed you can get the Antiques Road Trip programmes over there. We watch them too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love them, and surprisingly, Tim has become quite a fan, as well. I think that you said you appeared on another show, 'Flog It'. I intend to look it up when I'm done with this series. Refresh my mind. What was your episode?

      I don't think it would have been quite so harrowing to me if we hadn't had our grandson in the backseat. I argued with him about it, but he was not about to listen. After we got home, he did say that the trip was probably ill advised.

      Delete
  12. You live dangerously! Glad you made it home. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life on the edge alright. I'm not a thrill seeker.

      Delete
  13. I would be like a child in a candy store if I visited that antique mall. Nice finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the funny thing, Dave? I see things and I think, "Whoo...wouldn't Northsider be all over this?" There is everything you can imagine there. Hundreds of dealers.

      Delete
  14. You live on a different planet to us. Half that amount of snow would have brought the UK to a standstill. I have the same sort of problem when I see the tractors I remember from my childhood now in vintage displays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to be at a standstill. Honestly, I did. Tim is just not a standstill kind of guy. I had an uncle who restored old model As and Ts, and he was very good at it. People came from everywhere to buy these cars. I grew up in the late 60s, early 70s and I remember looking at those old cars and being fascinated by their 'old'. It was a humbling experience to realize that old Kharmann Ghia I had is now the same age as the old cars my uncle worked on back then!

      Delete
  15. Hello Debby from a new blog visitor who thanks you for sharing a comment on my recent blog post about a change in my blog focus this year to exclude most family members. I appreciated that you shared your own experience with family as it was also family who "complained" and so I took steps to mollify them for the same reasons. Thankfully, there had never been any scary comments or anything, only supportive and complimentary ones in all the years family photos (and names) had been included. But as you noted to keep the peace, changes were made. Actually, I never seem to run out of topics, so all will be OK.

    Your new acquisitions were lovely and glad you all had a wonderful shopping experience and made it back home safely to a wonderful dinner. I would like to include you blog name on my sidebar list, so I can find it easily and revisit, unless you have any objections. Please DO let me know in a comment on through email. I look forward to future visits and meeting a new blog friend as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice. How very kind. Yes. I recognized your situation. I look forward to getting to know you as well. Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  16. My dad had a Kharmann Ghia, a red one. Not sure of the year. It was not a particularly comfortable car but I spent a lot of time in it! Those little ducklings remind me of Beatrix Potter. Having grown up in Florida I don't know much about driving in snow and probably don't fully appreciate the hazards! (I did drive in New Jersey for a year and a half and miraculously didn't die.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are ever grateful for that last factoid! You know I did consider Beatrix Potter. Maybe that is it. But I find myself going back even further to the Little Golden Books, the ones that my parents used to buy us for 19 cents each. There is definitely a memory associated with those figures and I'd love to know what it is. They are familiar to me for some reason. I recognized them right away.

      Delete
  17. I've driven through some real nasty winter weather, and while I'm confident in my driving abilities and getting home, I don't leave if there is approaching weather. As the saying goes, I'm not so much worried about my driving but those around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably 3 winters back, a friend was driving on a snowy day. He rounded a curve and was hit head on by a truckload of people from Texas who had slid into his lane. Their inexperience got 4 people seriously, seriously hurt. It is miraculous no one died. You can be the best winter driver there is, but you never know the skills of the drivers you meet.

      Delete
  18. I'm so glad I watched that YouTube clip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing. Can you imagine having the imagination to build that?

      Delete
  19. They are a Swedish techno folk group. Wander off to have a read about Wintergatan.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Getting Things Done

 Today was a banner day in a lot of ways.  We have a roof that was partially replaced on a rental. The bad side required immediate attention...