Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Putting things where they belong

 Monday, the tree got taken down. William helped me, and we packed away the ornaments. He heard the story of each of the ornaments once again, who they came from, when I got them, why they are special to his grandpa, or to me, or to both of us. A Christmas ornament means nothing unless the backstory is known. 

After the ornaments were taken down, we took the crystal garland that looks like ice droplets down. Then the bubble lights came down and he heard the story of how his grandpa so loved bubble lights when he was a child, but his family was too poor to waste money on things like that. I told him William how I had found the bubble light candelabra and how grandpa had come in cold and frozen from hunting to a hot bowl of soup, and how he just watched the bubble lights and drank his soup while remembering how badly he had wanted them when he was a child. That touched me so much that I found two strands of them for the tree. They are one of his grandpa's favorite things. 

Then the regular lights came down and were carefully coiled up. The circular tree skirt was folded in half, and a coil of lights placed between the two layers. It was folded into quarters, and another coil of lights was placed between the layers. One more fold, and the last coil of lights went between that layer. The tree skirt was now a nice little slice of pie shaped package.

We hauled the boxes of things up to the second floor landing. Under the banjo clock there is an old camelback trunk. It perfectly holds all the decorations. The top tray perfectly holds all the cards, gift bags, gift boxes, wrapping paper and ribbons. Once the lid is shut, Christmas is done for the year. The only thing left was to haul the tree to the third floor to be stored for another year. 

We began vacuuming and moving the furniture back to where it belongs. I had brought down an antique rocker from the spare bedroom we are using now for extra seating during the holidays. As we were hauling it back up the stairs, I asked William if he'd like a rocker for his room. I was surprised when he got quite enthusiastic about it. We carried it into his room and I set it down. 

"I know right where I want this to be!" he said, and he slid it over in front of his fireplace with the gas insert. He stood there studying the effect. "I wish I had a little table." 

I had a little table. Two, as a matter of fact. He picked the one he liked. He said, "I want a cushion for the back. I sugested he run down to the library and fetch one of the throw pillows from in there. He scampered off and returned. I gave him an afghan to put on the back, and he put his pillow in place. He sat down and began to rock gently. 

I had other things to do so I headed off, but when I came back a half hour later, he was still in his rocking chair in front of his fireplace, drawing a picture. He looked up at me as I passed his door. "I like this. It's like I have my own private livingroom too."


17 comments:

  1. Ah, that sounds quite lovely for him, lucky boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful stories. Glad that William can have his own living room. I don't know what bubble lights are but I'll look them up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The love between you and William shines through all of your stories with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely and William is at home. What a wonderful feeling:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely that William has such a wonderful space to call his own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How good to provide William with the space he chooses. Does he always live with you? He certainly seems very happy and settled there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious story. I find that as I grow older, I have more and more of a yearning to tell my grandchildren stories of where their grandparents came from and what we did and where we lived. It seems primal.
    The image of William in his rocking chair just makes my heart swell. You are giving him what he needs and so much of that is love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another similarity with Tim. I too loved to watch the bubble lights when I was young. Earlier this year I sorted through mom's Christmas decorations looking for them but they were all gone. I'm assuming because they were originals, they had gone kaput a long time ago. But this is inspiring me to look online for some reproductions for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, bless his heart - what a lucky Grandma you are to have that sweet boy living with you. Of course luck runs heavily in his favor, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ours quite bubbling. My father, the engineer, was especially disappointed. They were never replaced; "Are you aware of the cost!?!" generally preceded that question, though I'm sure some delightful
    answers were obtained.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome experience to give a grandson. He learned to design something for himself. He has his stamp of approval on his room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This whole post pleases me so much, the best part is William getting his own chair and table by his fire.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like William has picked up on the value of the simple things in life! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish I had been able to have those precious moments like that with my Grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What precious memories you are passing on to William. You have such a wonderful close relationship and I loved hearing about packing away Christmas so carefully. I can just see him in his rocker, with the Afghan throw and cushion, happy in his Own Place. He is a lucky boy.

    I never made a proper Christmas Tree skirt - I just use a length of crazy quilting using bright shiny fabrics and embroidered, which I throw across the front of the tree stand to hide it. Note to self: make a tree skirt for the next Christmas tree . . .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great writing. You turned a banal event into a great anecdote that was very interesting to read. We’ll done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh gosh! You've made life so beautiful for William. You are a guardian angel.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Caretaking

Well, Mangey came back today. I let him in the house to feed him. I figure that I'll do that for a few days until he gets comfortable, a...