Sunday, January 1, 2023

It has always been thus

Ring Out, Wild Bells

Ring out, wild bells to the wild sky
The flying cloud, the frosty light
The year is dying in the night'
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die..

Ring out the old, ring in the new
Ring happy bells across the snow, 
The year is going, let him go.
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

Ring out the grief that saps the mind
For those that here, we see no more;
Ring out the feud of rich and poor, 
Ring to redress to all mankind.

Ring out a slowly dying cause
And ancient forms of party strife,
Ring in the nobler modes of life
With sweeter manners, purer laws

Ring out the want, the care, the sin
The faithless coldness of the times, 
Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes
But ring the fuller minstrel in

Ring out false pride in place and blood,
The civic slander and the spite
Ring in the love of truth and light.
Ring in the common love of good.

Ring out old shapes of foul disease, 
Rng out the narrowing lust of gold;
Ring out the thousand wars of old
Ring in the thousand years of peace. 

Ring in the valiant man and free
The larger heart, the kindier hand
Ring out the darkness of the land
Ring in the Christ that is to be. 

Alfred wrote these words in 1850, on a stormy night when the bells rang wildly in the fierce wind. Other recountings doubt that even the wild wind could make a heavy church bell ring. I don't know, but it makes a wonderful picture in my mind.  What struck me most though is the timeliness of these words even 173 years later. 

I read that it used to be that church bells rung at midnight, but they were muffled in the beginning to toll in mourning for the passing of old year. At the stroke of midnight, the muffling was removed and the tolling turned to happy peals to ring out across the country side to ring in the new year. What a pretty custom. 




31 comments:

  1. When I was a boy, I was a Protestant in a very Catholic area, and their bells really creeped me out. There is one church in town that still does bells, but they ring hymns that I know, so I am good with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Why do you think they creeped you out?

      Delete
  2. I like the custom you've mentioned in your last paragraph and not one I've heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, Debby. Happy New Year! We have LOUD, incredible, every expensive, illegal fireworks here to blast in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Tennyson's bells were metaphorical. Bells don't hang loose where wind can ring them. nice image though. I can't tolerate real church bells, too many undertones, overtones, really painful sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm a musician,. Several instruments including voice.

      Delete
    2. I am not a musician at all. I imagine that accounts for why they don't annoy me. Do bagpipes annoy you for the same reason?

      Delete
  5. I grew up in a small country church in Ohio. We always had a new years' service and rang the bell at midnight. There were 4 churches in the little town, and all had bell towers and rang the bell at midnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Ellie, I did not think about it. William was lighting sparklers. I noticed that there were not a lot of fireworks. The church bells didn't ring either. It was pretty quiet.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven"t see you hitting my spam folder regularly' it I will keep my eyes open.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. I rarely delete a comment. It was on my spam folder. So was Jenn"s. I generally find my own comments there, ones that were already published. Weirdest thing.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for checking. Now and then I write, the comment posts, then later it vanishes. Must be blogger at it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I check my spam regularly. I would have found you. Don't ever bestie to call stuff to my attention

      Delete
    2. *hesitate. Gosh I do hate autocorrect

      Delete
  9. A poem that still resonates today, sadly, but it is hopeful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The comments about comments reminded me that I'd not looked in the spam for many days - 13 lurking there including some of my own that had already been published - and one from you - so odd.
    But thanks for the reminder and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Sweeter manners, purer laws" - we could certainly do with more of that. I know that the bells of York Minster are always rung at midnight on New Year's Eve, but I don't think it's a general custom these days. Unless you're talking about the chimes of Big Ben, which is what most people in England think of when they hear the phrase "ringing in the New Year".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the 1800s, It seems to have been quite a rite with a special way to ring the bells. Nobody does ceremony quite like the English. Sad that it has fallen from favor.

      Delete
  12. "Ring Out, Solstice Bells." Jethro Tull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I'd forgotten that one. Your musical knowledge always amazes me.

      Delete
  13. There were lots of fireworks here at midnight. Woke me up in fact!
    It is amazing (and sad) that the poem still applies to our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the first thing that I thought as I read it....so applicable to what is happening now. Does anything ever really change?

      Delete
  14. I love bells of any kind, whether playing tunes or change ringing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too, but not close up. I like how they sound from a distance.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Caretaking

Well, Mangey came back today. I let him in the house to feed him. I figure that I'll do that for a few days until he gets comfortable, a...