Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Enjoyable Day

Last night, disappointingly, I found myself unable to sleep. I think that the more time that I spend away from people, the more anxious I feel about being around them, if it makes any sense. When I went to bed last night, I didn't think I was fretting, but I found myself wondering if I should have volunteered at all. I mean, you can't call me an expert water person. Shoot. I can't even swim! What if the people there were all experts? What if I looked silly and ineffectual? What if they were resentful of having an old fart with a bad knee along for the ride. What if...

And on and on those thoughts ran. No matter how many times I told myself, "Listen up, asshole, you won't know if you don't try. You enjoyed kayaking," and that part is true. I did. I loved it. I've been wanting to go again, but William isn't interested. Tim won't go. My sister works too long of hours. I just don't have the confidence to head off on my own. 

I spent a large part of the beginning of the night fretting and sleepless. Then...wouldn't you know it?  I woke up about 4 am, sneezing and congested. I got up and took an allergy tablet, shut the window, and waited for the symptoms to ease back. Just before 5, they did. 

So...first thing this morning, I was up, and I was not ready to be up. I was as nervous as any kid on the first day of school. 

Tim dropped me off at the meet-up place, and we all signed our waivers, and I noticed right away that everyone else seemed to have their partners. Piper asked me to partner up, which made everything much better. For the first thing, she's an expert on the river. She and her partner own a business on the river that rents out canoes and kayaks, and she knows everything there is to know about the weather, the river, the dam output...she's got it all down to a fine art. 

Once we were out on the water, the magic set in. The quiet, and the chance to observe the details of the river...frogs and fish, and whole herds of water bugs passing by us and mindboggling speed. The fact that Piper and I have people in common was a big help too, and we talked easily and comfortably. She commented that I was a 'power stroker' (a strong paddler), which she didn't expect. I told her that I was not an experienced canoer and was glad to team up with someone who could offer up tips and advice. She said cheerfully that I needed to be on the water more. I could not disagree with that. 

We pulled a lot of water chestnut. setting it in the base of the canoe between us. We gathered so much of it, that at the end of it, when we came back to shore, people were helping me uncover my feet so that I could get out. We had 25 bags all together. 

Piper was glad for the help. She lives close to where we were working, and she said that she often comes out in the evening to pull it, but a couple hours working alone was nothing compared to what we managed to do as a group. She said, "I can only work a little bit after work," and I told her that if she ever wanted someone to join her, that I'd be glad to pitch in during the evenings. She said that she'd take me up on that, and I hope that she does. It would be a good way to gain skill and confidence. 

I walked home carrying my muck boots and admiring the day. The beans I had going in the crockpot turned out very well. I also took a good nap. 

Last night, an interesting thing happened. I was cutting up beans and I happened to look out the kitchen door and a new cat was staring at me from the mudroom door. Most of the ferals will watch you closely, but when you look at them, they get nervous and look away, usually move away. But this cat just stared. 
Intrigued, I went to the door to call it. It ran. 

This morning, I saw a lost cat: 


Boy. He is an image of the 'new' cat at my house. I sent a message to the person, but they haven't gotten back to me, so I cannot say whether it IS the same cat. Perhaps they found theirs. I don't know. He came back for supper tonight, though, and it would be great if he had a home. 


33 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was nice to have a day that was just something different and new with new people to meet and talk to. One of the older women in the group had bicycled cross country not once, but twice.

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear that (despite your disturbed night) you had a good day. Getting out in nature as well as meeting someone that you can find common interests with is a wonderful thing.
    I hope Tim had a good day too. I had to look up the interwebs to find what you meant by receptacles. We call them power points. Another difference between US and Aus english.
    I had thought that tortoiseshell cats were always female. I hope you can get in touch with their owner and that they care more than Mangey's owners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that to be true of calico cats, but not tortoiseshells. That's interesting and might be a fact. I call all cats 'he' until something happens that proves they are NOT. Like giving birth in the garage.

      Delete
  3. It is very anxiety inducing, putting yourself out there. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I had to go through with it. I'd set it up to be there.

      Delete
  4. Well, that sounded like a really enjoyable day. I'm glad you had lots to chat about and your nerves soon vanished. Bet you slept well last night.

    It sounds like you are on the Stray Cat Highway - Ynyswen was like that. Cat after cat after cat. Some didn't stop long. Some stopped a few weeks then decided they were loners after all. Some passed through but whenever one of our cats died, the vacancy was ALWAYS filled and we always had 9 cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9 cats. Oh dear. Tim would die. I have to say though, he really does seam to get a kick out of the kittens. Maybe I should take a page from John Gray's book and just refer to them as 'the quadruplets'.

      Delete
  5. Very brave to go and be so useful to your local river, it's so easy to give in to personal fear. I hope the kitty finds it's family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love if they all went to nice homes.

      Delete
  6. I completely understand why you were fretting. You wouldn't be normal embarking on something like that for the first time and not being unsure of yourself.
    Well, if you are going to be a cat lady, at least you are married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have children and that's important if you're JD Vance.

      Delete
  7. That was a good outing on the water.. enjoyable and useful.
    That cat definitely has his eye on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually the picture of the lost cat, Isn't that the most startling gaze? That's what stopped me about the stray at my house, was just that unblinkig stare.

      Delete
  8. I think any of us would have felt the same trepidation about getting into a kayak, after a long absence. It's a specific kind of fitness and agility. I say bravo for facing your fears! Cats, the never-ending flow. We are feeding one, she's not a stray, she has "owners" but loves to roam. Our whole subdivision looks out for her, and we post updates and sightings of her on Facebook. She does not want to be an indoor cat. She's been vetted, spayed and chipped at least. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of our tenants had a cat show up on her front porch the first year she moved in. She named him Henry, and set up a feeding place for him. He was always sprawled on the front porch looking fat and well fed. Then came fall, and he came up missing. She felt terrible, and thought maybe she should have brought him inside (she had a cat and a dog of her own). Much to her surprise, he showed up in the spring, alive and well, and no worse for wear. She did some investigation and discovered that Henry had other names. He actually belonged to a very nice family two streets over. When it got cold, he simply returned to the joys of hearth and home, wintered in comfort, and returned to his gallivanting ways in the spring. He'd done it for years.

      Delete
    2. It's so funny how cats can have secret lives, and many people who care for them. When we leave for a 2 week vacation this month, we are having a friend stay at the house so she can feed out little wanderer, even though she will find food elsewhere. Years ago, we fed a stray and had heated huts and such for her, and we did that for about 9 years. She wasn't feral but didn't want anything to do with inside. Then one winter, we had a polar vortex, managed to get her in the house, where she lived with us for 6 years until she passed. I imagine she was old and tired of fighting to keep warm.

      Delete
  9. Your volunteering day sounded most worthwhile.
    I, too, had wondered what receptacles were.
    Your cat visitor is very handsome - I hope his owners claim him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For years, my parents volunteered at an organization that would pick river in our state to clean up and they would spend a week going down various stretches of the river hauling in all sorts of trash. It became quite the competition between canoes to see who could bring in the most or largest piece of trash over the course of the day. It sounds like your water chestnut experience was similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are doing a river clean up as well in a couple of weeks. I just don't have the free time to devote during the day though. It's a much bigger enterprise.

      Delete
  11. I always want to kick myself when I worry and worry about something and then find out I shouldn't have been worrying at all. I'm glad you had such a good day and enjoyed the water, Debby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my nature. It seems to have gotten worse as I get older. Not going to work every day, and interacting primarily with Tim day in and day out has made my life very small. I realized what was happening over the summer, and joined my book club for that reason (and oh how I fretted about that). I've decided that I need to have an adventure or to try my hand at something new whenever I can. I have a felting class next week. I've always wanted to learn how to do that.

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness! Steve Reed just wrote about having insomnia last night and my husband had a terrible night of not-sleeping. I told him about yours and Steve's sleeplessness last night and he laughed and said, "Okay. Now I don't feel so alone."
    Funny.
    I am SO glad your day on the water turned out so well. Good for you for going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. There are a herd of us, that's for sure.

      Delete
  13. WE can't stop ourselves from worrying sometimes. You faced the issued and learned something in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

      Delete
  14. You had a fine experience on the water, and you continue to be a cat magnet. That one reminds me of my first semi feral cats when I was a teen; they were mixes like that but smaller. Our Lacey still turns her head away when I look at here and talk to her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm always nervous about doing new things too but I'm so glad that you did it. I'm in the process of relearning how to ride a bike. I rode when I was a kid but as soon as I got my car when I was seventeen, I didn't ride again, except for about one week in my forties:) I'm getting there and the nice thing is I don't care what I look like on my comfortable, old lady bike.
    Did you get any water chestnuts to cook with? And now you have someone to kayak with which is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is great to hear that anxiety didn't win and you went out on the water. Sounds like a wonderful time and I hope you do it again soon, Debby.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you persevered to the good time (I should let that be a lesson to me) And, kind to try and find the cat's home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds like such fun. And a good deed too. And those beans! You sure put them to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Way to go, pulling so much water chestnut! I'm glad you found a partner and had a good day out. Any word on the cat? Has he been back?

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

ARGH.

It has been a frustrating few days. My computer has been infected with something.  I haven't had access to Facebook for several days, fo...