Monday, April 8, 2024

The Eclipse

 Oh, it was just the best time! Dylan and Brittani spent one night at our house. We had balsamic glazed pork, mashed potatoes, gravy and broccoli. My sister came and brought two loaves of bread and cooked up some parsnips for us, straight from their garden, to my stove, and straight to the table. Banana cake for dessert. 

(Note to self. My kitchen does not fit 11 people comfortably. The open concept in the new house will be a wonderful) But we had a good time, and we laughed together in that comfortable way of families. 

Ruby is 20 months old, and even though I saw her not too long ago, it boggled my mind to see how much more social she has become. She had hugs for everyone. She talks a bit, but one funny story. William brought down his marionette puppy from his bedroom upstairs. He walked the dog over to where Ruby sat on the floor, and made it dance around her and lick her cheek. Oh, how Ruby loved that. Ruby wanted that dog in the worst way and threw quite a tantrum about it. When her mother carried her upstairs, Ruby was roaring at the top of her lungs "UPPPPPPPYYYY!! UPPPPPPYYYY!!" I said, "Well. There's no mistaking that word." She was very tired. She had a long day, and it was past her bedtime. She went down with very little argument. 

Iris and I cuddled on the couch and watched Paddington Bear II, which was ridiculous, but she loved it. It was the great testosterone battle for William and his uncle. They both ate a pickled habanero to prove their manliness. (They do crap like this every single time they get together.)

Sunday afternoon, they headed out to Erie. They had a hotel room booked for two nights, and Iris was looking forward to the indoor pool. 

This morning, we all got up and headed to Erie to meet up with them. Their hotel was right next to a sports arena. It was one of the 'eclipse venues' around the city. My daughter Brianna and Don drove up in their car. William rode up with us in ours. We headed out about 9 am. We had heard so much about the terrible traffic, bumper to bumper traffic...but...nothing! It was like any other drive to Erie. It took us no longer than usual. 

With time to kill, we all went out to eat. Dylan treated us all, which was a nice surprise. We had a long leisurely lunch and then drove back to the hotel, parked in their lot and walked over to the venue. 

Ruby was totally befuddled by the astroturf. It was humped up in areas and she walked around studying the wrinkles, gabbling to herself, but throwing her little hands wide and saying, "Why? Why?" We had no answer. She was absolutely right. Grass would have been perfectly fine.

It was very cloudy, but the great thing is the clouds were scutting by quickly enough that even if the sun was obscured, it was not obscured for long. We were able to watch the sun slowly disappearing behind the moon. 


William and Iris were transfixed. As the spectacle reached totality, cloud cover briefly moved in. Iris shrilly screamed, "GET OUT OF THE WAY, CLOUDS!" which sent a titter of laughter through the folks seated nearby.

And it happened. As it got close, to totality, the music stopped, which was wonderful. Darkness fell, and everyone clapped. It stayed dark for nearly 4 minutes. Everyone quietly looked around. Lake Erie glowed red as if the sun was truly setting. It was a cool thing to see 300 people looking around in wonder, all of us in awe at what we were seeing. The temperature dropped noticeably and Iris requested her coat. William was snapping pictures, saying, "This is SO cool!" 

It was. 

And when it was done, we all could honestly say that it was a truly unforgettable moment, made all the more special by the fact that we were all together to witness it. 


I had so many little grandma moments. Can there ever be too many of those? 
I'm thinking no. 
Holding my hand as we walked, Iris said, "You are the best grandma in the world!" 
And she meant it with all her little 5 year old heart. 


Poor Dylan was in the throes of a major hayfever attack, so we decided to head home directly after the event instead of staying to visit with them. Ruby needed her nap, and Brittani was going to take Iris to the pool for an hour so that Dylan could have a nap right along with Ruby. 

The rest of us headed for home, despite all the warnings we had had about not doing that. 'Wait', we were advised. 'Give it a couple hours for the worst of the traffic to subside. Expect major delays!'

Again, nothing. It was an easy drive out of town. There was no more traffic than usual. It took no longer to get home than usual. Coming home in the car, William said, "I will never forget this day as long as I live!"I said, "I know that I will remember it forever." Grandpa said, "Me too." We all will remember the eclipse. Ruby will probably remember the astroturf. Memories all around. 

And when I got home, I carefully put the dandelion that Iris had picked for me between the pages of a thick old book. When it is dry, I will laminate it along with the note she wrote all by herself. 'I am so excited to see you.' 

It was just about perfect. 




56 comments:

  1. This sounds like the totally perfect best day ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was perfect! It was totality perfect. :)

      Delete
  2. We were in the 100% area. I was not that excited about the eclipse, but did have glasses and stepped outside. I was RIVETED! It was so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited. We would probably just watched it from home if it hadn't been a chance to be together. It was awesome. Mostly because Iris and William were so excited about it.

      Delete
  3. How very exciting - and how wonderful to have all of the grandchildren together - I do hope you also got some family snaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not allowed to post pictures of the girls on my blog. I respect that rule.

      Delete
  4. I think I heard the next eclipse will be in 2044. I will be 99 so think I will probably see it from above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A family matriarch here was very excited to see this eclipse. She had her glasses and a countdown. She died on Saturday. The family celebrated her by going to Erie en masse to see the eclipse together. I thought that was cool.

      Delete
  5. You know it is quite true. William will remember the eclipse for the rest of his life. Glad that all had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Iris will remember it too. She was very excited by it all. It was a good time. Well. Except for poor Dylan. Not sure what triggered him, but he was a mess. The allergy stuff was non-drowsy, but it didn't see to work that way.

      Delete
  6. Things are always better when shared as a family, what an event, the children made wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing things through the eyes of children can make anything seem strange and wonderful - even astroturf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so funny to watch her. She knew, right away that something was not usual about this. She really studied the phenomenon.

      Delete
  8. What a clever song choice Debby. You can't beat a bit of Bonnie on a Tuesday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a lot of music playing. The kids said that it was a regular 90s mix. I couldn't tell you. But it was fun.

      Delete
  9. Such a great family event as well as eclipse! Mine feels rather mundane, since I did a load of laundry during it! But the celestial event won't be forgotten here either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably how it would have played out here if the kids hadn't all decided we were doing it differently.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a great time! It's so cool to think that William will remember this event all his life. (And the other kids too, of course, to varying degrees!) I've never seen a solar eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were talking about the next solar eclipse, and how William and Iris and Ruby will be adults then. Maybe even with a child or two of their own. Tim said that we would be 87. He asked William if he was willing to drive him to see the next eclipse.

      Delete
  11. "Why? Why?"
    I swear- I feel like that all the time. I love children when they so perfectly grasp emotions and observations. Your grands are a delight and you're right- grandmother moments are the best.
    So glad you had such a great experience watching the eclipse. A day for all to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was really troubled by the astroturf. It was hilarious to watch her. As Dylan said, "She knows how things should be, and this is NOT how grass should be."

      Delete
  12. Lovely family time together..with an eclipse thrown in for good measure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. We didn't see your comet though. I expect it was too cloudy.

      Delete
  13. ... and when you think the sun will always shine, the moon takes it away. - Jason Walsmith of The Nadas

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9qGV0rLRqU

    Back when I was in college, an annular eclipse passed overhead and I never knew. I wasn't into watching or reading about news back then and was most likely in class. But on the same campus, Jason saw it and was inspired to write this song, one of my favorites.

    I pondered if there would be a lot of traffic on the roads as was predicted. I was struck by how normal it seemed around town. Even as I was watching the eclipse from my back deck, cars kept driving back and forth on the road at the bottom of the hill, totally unaware.

    I'm glad you had a good time and got to see it, even with a few clouds. I'm sure it is something everyone will always remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure we will. I have heard you talk about your group so many times, but I do have to say this is the first time that I've actually listened to them. The song was nice.

      The clouds scutted by so quickly that they really didn't detract from the experience at all although Iris did get a bit over come just at the point of totality. I think she thought she was going to miss it but her shout gave everyone a laugh.

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful day. Time to be treasured.
    I remember the last total eclipse we had here - I think 1999? - it happened during the day when I was at work so I only got to share it with my colleagues, looking out of the office window. Not half as much fun as your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. You know someone came up with some bs about how the eclipse had cost employers like 700 million (billion?) dollars in productivity. Just like America: A rare natural phenomenon is measured by profits lost. I despair for this world.

      Delete
  15. How perfect! I had to laugh about Ruby. From the mouths of babies. We were glad to see the eclipse too, even if not total here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her confusion was just hilarious. Fake grass was something she could not wrap her head around!

      Delete
  16. I'm glad you had such a lovely day. I enjoyed watching with neighbors and we had such a nice visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a nice visit too. It was not crowded at all where we were. A pleasant day. Warm. The picture was taken by William.

      Delete
  17. What a lovely day and wonderful memories for the grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you had a good shared experience. It didn’t go total here but was still nice to see again. /AC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching the world go dark, and seeing the reflected sun far out across Lake Erie glow red was amazing.

      Delete
  19. Something none of you will forget. I like the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad it turned out to be a wonderful experience for you! Ours was the same... the weather couldn't have been more perfect! I decided to brave traffic (which ended up being negligible) to drive home immediately after the eclipse since there were storms predicted. It was a good call since we've already had almost 5" of rain and have more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you go to see it! I wondered how your day went.

      Delete
  21. My mom was -- shall we say -- voluptuous; and her mother was 4'10" and tiny. My son called her Little Grandma, and my mom Soft Grandma. Which has nothing to do with what your Iris said to you, but made me remember it. "Out of the mouths of babes" and all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's funny. Iris was fascinated that my chest has wrinkles from a life of working in the sun in tank tops. She commented on it. Someone chided her. I said, "Well...it's true and it doesn't hurt my feelings at all!'

      Delete
  22. My mother was "Grandma Wrinkle" which was, shall we say, fairly descriptive. She thought it hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris has yet to come up with a nickname for me. I know that her other grandma is 'silly grandma'. I suppose if she recognizes anything about me at all, it's that I can pack one hell of a pineapple bag. I collect things that will interest her and when I go to her place, she gets to unpack all those treasures. She looks forward to it.

      Delete
  23. Thank you for sharing your near perfect day. You are lucky in your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A great way to celebrate the eclipse by having a family get together.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like you had a wonderful day with your family! We ended up watching after all- husband’s friend had extra glasses, so we watched from our porch, and it was very cool! Beautiful weather, but no gardening got done😅But there’s always tomorrow,right? I got some flower beds cleaned up today..I’ m learning to go with the flow! My aim is to have a ‘retirement garden’- perennials with as little work needed as possible! (Famous last words…?😂) - Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. You let me know how that works out for you! My plans are just about the same. I am starting over from scratch. I have ideas....lots and lots of ideas....

      Delete
  26. You don't need lots of money to have a rich life do you? It's days like you had yesterday that are the most special and above all the most memorable - hold that little Granddaughters hand tightly, blink and they're grown up and gone out into the world - so pleased you had such a special day Anne Shropshire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. I think that you have hit on the thing right there. Grandparents come into the game knowing just how quickly those children grow up, having already experienced it with their own children. We do treasure those babies. William is a teenager now, and I miss 'little William'. But that's what they do, isn't it? They come into our lives and our lives revolve around them...and then they go spinning off into their own orbits.

      Delete
  27. So glad you made a big deal out of the eclipse and celebrated your family at the same time. It’s been nice to hear that so many families did just that. We had clouds here and it was a non event. But I’m packing for a college reunion this weekend that will be full of memories, laughs, and hugs. Can’t beat making memories with old friends!
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG, Debby! I am so very happy for you all. You are so lucky to have been able to experience it. Art was disappointed he couldn't see another eclipse. He'd wanted to go to Indiana.
    And yes, you are the best grandma ever. What a wonderful, loving memory.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Looking Back

 This morning started a bit differently. We had a funeral to go to. Tim knew him as a teenager. I knew him from working with him. He was suc...