Monday, April 29, 2024

Looking Back

 This morning started a bit differently. We had a funeral to go to. Tim knew him as a teenager. I knew him from working with him. He was such a funny guy. Always good humored. Quick to shake off any irritation. I always admire people like that. I used to eat lunch with him and his girlfriend when I worked nights.

His girlfriend was one of those rough people who seemed to have spent her whole life doing battle with some damn body. She was quick to take offense, and to be honest, she said things that I didn't understand at all. Her son had moved away to take a job. There's something I could relate to, having a son on the other side of the state. A daughter in Afghanistan. But what I couldn't relate to was when she said, "Well, I hope he fails. I hope he falls flat on his face and gets his ass back here where he belongs."  That shocked me, that any mother would say such a thing. I mean, I missed my kids terribly, but I raised them to be independent, and I expected that they would make their own lives and do their own thing. I wished them well, and they have done well, which makes me feel as if I wasn't a total failure as a mother. 

But I digress.

There were other things too, and it quickly became obvious that we would never be good friends. By the end of it, I found her pretty selfish. She could also be pretty mean. I wound up working a different shift and that brought that acquaintance to a quiet close. 

Today, at the funeral home, I noticed something. She sat by herself. Only one of her sons attended, and while he sat next to her, he did not touch her. He did not look at her. The dearly departed's first wife and his kids and grands and brothers and nephews and I don't know who all sat all together. 

But the girlfriend sat alone. Her son next to her but not with her, if you can understand what I mean.

Tim and I sat in the back, and just before the service began, her face just crumpled, and she cried quietly. Alone. 

And it was the alone that got me. 

I am not everyone's cup of tea. Sometimes it seems as if I might not be anyone's cup of tea. I just seem to operate differently than most people in this world, and I don't know what it is exactly that makes me so different or why I am what I am.  Last year was kind of scary with Tim's issues and suddenly, I got this feeling that it could just as easily have been me sitting up there all by myself. 

I watched her crying and I couldn't not do it. I went up and sat next to her and held her hand. She cried even harder and said, "Thank you." I whispered back, "I just couldn't stand to see you alone." She said, "This is awful." 

That was it really. 

The family spoke during his eulogy. Told funny stories about him. When someone said something about his favorite food, the reply came back in unison: 'Fried bologna sandwiches'. And his girlfriend wept and whispered, "I've still got his bologna in the refrigerator." 

She did not fit in, either, and that was plain to see, and it appeared that there were some pretty hard feelings about something. I have no idea what, and I didn't much care. That's somebody else's drama. I know the girlfriend is a hard person. 

After the service, I walked back to Tim. He was visiting with some people. We walked out of the funeral home, and surprisingly, Tim did not want to rush back down to go to work. He wanted to go to a restaurant a couple blocks away for lunch, and so we did, and when we finished, Tim said, "I want to take a drive down to Sheffield" and so we did. He drove along saying, "We lived here (pointing) and we walked to school every morning." It was quite a distance and kids these days would be bused. He drove up to where his old high school had been. He was the last class to graduate from the old school. He told me what that old building was like. He drove past his old friends' houses, and reminisced. 

We came home then, and changed into work clothes and we got in the car and headed for the new build. We stopped in at that tent sale where we got the ceramic tile for the bathroom yesterday. They had some small windows that Tim was interested in to put in at each end of the attic for ventilation. No one knew the pricing when we stopped in on Sunday. Tim stopped in today, the guy came out, took a look, and said, "$25 each." We bought all four, and put them in the car. 

I got the insulation done. I cut the 2 x 10s into 36 inch lengths for the 12 stair treads and he got those blasted stairs built. We worked quietly together, each thinking our own thoughts. 

And that was today. 

And then we came home. 

Late Edit: Tim is watching some movie called Keoma that has the most godawful soundtrack I've ever heard in my life. I am not a trained musician, but holy cow, this is BAAAAAADDD. My ears are bleeding. I advise you all to find it and come back here right away to agree with me. 

22 comments:

  1. What a compassionate gesture to a woman who was suffering in her grief! She obviously wasn't as warm and caring as you are. Yes funerals do give us a sense of our own mortality, and going and reviewing some places from the past is a way of stitching yesterday to today. Good job on the windows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very nice what you did Debby, going to sit with her but it SOUNDS like something you would do. How sad about her and her son, I can't imagine. My mom meant everything to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you did at the funeral was very thoughtful and kind. Yes, she was a difficult person, but she still has suffered a great loss, the death of a partner, something we all dread. Funerals are hard enough with a supporting family, and dreadful without. Thank you for your kindness to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many families are disfunctional and the worst comes out when there's a bereavement. Good on you for trying to make someone feel better about the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes after the loss of a mate someone says the simplest few words and a hug, and it means more than the person that thinks he need to make a long flowery speech. After losing my husband of 50 years it still makes me feel warm inside when I hear something nice about him. My pastor told me if I could find a man half as good as my Ron I would have a very good man. Still looking at 79. Thank you for giving the woman support, it has to hurt to be alone and morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good kind gesture Debby, will always be felt. There are moments of pure grief in life and a gesture of compassion will always sweeten the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A hug can often be just what's needed.
    My family is also very dysfunctional so I can relate to that whole aloneness situation. Without P in my life, it would be very empty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a kind and compassionate person you are, Debby. You will have helped that poor woman more than you realise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were kind to her. Not everyone is to our taste, but they are still humans and no doubt she was grieving.
    I do like the bargains you find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that woman. She thinks her anger keeps her safe but what it does, is isolate her. She pushes everyone away because she doesn't want to be hurt, not understanding that being alone brings it's own pain. My father was the same way, safe in his castle, behind the walls, safe, or so he thought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that Pixie has it exactly. You were so kind to follow your instinct to offer her a bit of grace along with your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just read a blog post on another blog about those who go around life and can't find any happiness or joy in just about everything. The girlfriend sounds like such a person. I don't understand why they are the way they are nor do I know if it is nature or nurture. I'm just glad I was born/brought up that way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you gave her comfort, Debby. Who knows her past and what made her the way she is? Obviously, your friend found someone in her to love so he would have been glad to see you help her.
    You and Tim find all the bargains!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sure your kindness to that difficult woman will come back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was really kind of you, to go sit with her. It's interesting how some people seem made to do battle with the world, even to such a degree that it causes them harm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so hard to deal with some people. I do understand that people can't help what they are, what WE are, but it is still hard. Anyway, congrats on being who you are and being compassionate toward the lady.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A hard day, but ended well. So sorry for Tim. The girlfriend, well...but she was hurting, and how sad that the others didn't care. There must have been something pretty bad there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for comforting her. You have a big heart.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pixie is right..a hard outside as she is afraid inside.
    Very sad

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

The Social Whirl

 Last night, we went to a baseball game to watch one of Tim's grandsons play. He's pretty young for the game, but even at his age, y...