Sunday, May 14, 2023

An Hour at the Thrift Store.

 The less said about yesterday, the better. Tim slipped away while I was talking to Cara on the phone to finish the painting. It's going to be a long time before he trusts me with a paint brush again. 

The day started out with a flurry of messages from the kids wishing me a Happy Mother's day. I had a leisurely morning to myself. William was picked up to spend the day with his mom, something that he was looking quite forward to. Tim went off to church. 

After Tim got home from church, we went to Goodwill. He was looking for a belt. I didn't really need anything. $23 later....

Tim found his belt right off and he was much pleased with it. It was a good sturdy working man brand. I was just ambling, looking, seeing what they had.

I had a large crock pot when the kids were home. I needed it. When it fizzled, I simply replaced it with a small pot. For Tim and I it was really all we need. Except the small pot is not big enough for a roast with vegetables on the side, etc, so I've been missing my big crock pot. This is a Cuisinart 6 quart multicooker. It was in perfect condition. It sells for about $100 new. It was on the shelf for $4.99. In the cart it went. 

Amazingly, I also found a Laura Ashley nightgown with the store tags. It was selling for $4.99. I was pretty happy with that find and happier yet to find that there were TWO of them. Both of them came home with me. 

I felt like quite the luckiest person in the world, but the day was not done. I saw a pair of Adidas sneakers. They showed no sign of being worn. The thing was, they were marked as a size 7. William wears a size 4. Studying the shoe, I did not see how it could possibly be a size 7. "I do think these will fit him,:" I said to Tim. Because of the tag, he doubted me.  At $5.99, they went into the cart too. I figured worse case scenario, I would simply bring them back. 

We went out for lunch, and then picked up a few groceries and came home. 

I matched a pair of William's shoes up with the size 7 shoes we had picked up. They were a perfect match. When he got home from his day, he tried them on and they fit perfectly. I'm going to guess that somehow the shoe was mismarked with the wrong size, but it was lucky find for us. 

Bad days always end, don't they?


31 comments:

  1. Your goodwill has much better prices than ours does. I've quit going to it, $5 for a water glass put me right off. The prices just keep getting higher and in some cases are the same prices as brand new.

    Thankfully bad days do end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if those glasses were consider special for whatever reason? Our glasses are much cheaper.

      Delete
  2. Definitely a memorable day this time

    ReplyDelete
  3. A much better day Debby. How do 'thrift' shops work? Not charity I suppose so where do their goods come from. I watch someone called Jenna Phipps who does thrift shopping and the stores seem very large.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodwill is a charity. Their goal is to provide jobs and job training to people who might be considered people who might not be good candidates for work. Their things are received by donation and resold.

      Delete
  4. Good grabs! I found a Foreman grill for $3 at a Goodwill. I didn't know CuisineArt made crock pots: I thought only Crock could make Crock Pots. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a crock pot. It is a multicooker that has a slow cooker setting.

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a good day, but browsing around a thrift store would be very hard on me. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a pretty low brow kind of gal, AC. TBH, if I need something, I always stop in at a thrift store to see if they have it. I have a pretty good track record of finding what I need. Not all the time, but a lot of the time. I considered it not only thrifty, but a very important part of recycling.

      Delete
  6. I would have been absolutely thrilled with that thrift trip!
    Our Goodwills, like Pixie's, have gotten ridiculous in their pricing. I have no idea what's going on there but they're going to overprice themselves out of business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy late mother's day and glad it ended on a good note. I keep a box in my washroom and when I come across something I know I don't need I put it in the box, when the box is full, I take it to a thrift store. I usually end up buying something I (need).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I set a basket at the bottom of the stairs and do the same thing.

      Delete
  8. I love resale shops. You had a good eye for bargains that day! Glad you enjoyed your Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it actually. That hardly ever happens.

      Delete
  9. I love a good thrift store day! Good for you for following your instincts on the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't believe THAT. The shoe tag in the sneaker read size 7. A manufacturer's error.

      Delete
  10. I need to get off my high horse and visit the thrift store, what a great deal on that big crock cooker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is ApacheDug, why do I keep getting signed out here??

      Delete
    2. Testing, testing... yes! Enable third party cookies in browser settings :^)

      Delete
    3. And yes, I was quite pleased with that pot. I made a boiled dinner today that turned out great.

      Delete
  11. Sounds a very fruitful day to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And nothing got dumped on the floor! Yay me!

      Delete
  12. I think you're very handy with a paintbrush. It's the tin Tim needs to be concerned about.
    A good haul from the thrift shop.
    Is William in a better frame of mind, now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was right as rain as soon as he got a good night's sleep. Oy. He is a stinker when he's tired. No more luxurious stay up late Friday nights!

      Delete
  13. One bad day is more than enough in any week - glad that you had good finds at the thrift store, esp. that slow cooker.

    Having once had an expensive brand new tin of paint roll out of the car and burst open on the lane when we were unloading stock at a Unit in an Antiques mall we used to have, I can sympathise. My goodness it goes EVERYWHERE. This was bright blue too and is still there on the road . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have certainly left your mark, haven't you? After the big cleanup, there was a whitish 'haze' left on the floor. I scrubbed and scrubbed at that yesterday. It took forever, but it is gone, and now that the floors are finished, you cannot tell.

      Delete
  14. That is a great price! Happy Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Caretaking

Well, Mangey came back today. I let him in the house to feed him. I figure that I'll do that for a few days until he gets comfortable, a...