Monday, May 29, 2023

Words

 Tim came home from church today and said that there had been a big accident. He wasn't sure what happened, but the police were detouring traffic through a store parking lot. He just couldn't understand how an accident would be so large that it shut down four lanes of traffic, but it did.

Tonight on facebook, there was a quiet post. A man driving a minivan was hit by a truck pulling a trailer this morning, right where Tim had been. The man's 8 year old daughter had been lifeflighted to Buffalo. 

Once there, his daughter was whisked into surgery for a severe head injuries. He gave a lot of details and it sounded very gruesome. 70 stitches. Her skull being held together by plates. It was quite a terrifying ordeal for him and his wife as they waited for the surgery to be done, and to find out the extent of the brain damage. 

He updated to say that miraculously, the part of the brain affected was responsible for taste and smell, that otherwise her brain function seemed normal. When she woke up, they were both overjoyed to hear her speaking coherently, and acting just like her normal self, just groggy from the anaethesia. 

As he watched his daughter sleeping in the hospital room, filled with gratitude and relief, he found that he could not get the truck driver's anguish out of his mind. 

He made a facebook post: 

'There was a big accident @62 and Jackson run. A truck with a trailer hit a brown Honda Odyssey. A little girl was sent to Buffalo NY helicopter. 

I was driving the van. The little girl is my daughter. I'm looking to reach out to the man driving the truck. The poor man felt horrible, and I want to assure him that she's doing really well and that it looks like she is going to be okay. She survived. Lots of stitches. Probably a scar, but she'll live. Everything else is details. We feel very blessed. 

All I know is that he's Jehovah's Witness, it was a couple around 55-65 years, NY plates. I want to exend some comfort and to let him know that there are no hard feelings. Accidents happen. We're all human. 

If you know this man, please message me privately. I'd like to give him my phone number." 


That's pretty powerful, isn't it? Made me feel much better about humanity. 

It made my own worries seem kind of inconsequential, but I've been struggling for a while, and today, reality came along and smacked me along side the head. I pondered the situation as I scrubbed grout at the rental. It's been building for some time and I could see my own part in it. I can get a lot of scrubbing done while I'm doing my soul searching. 

By the time that Tim ambled in. I knew what I wanted to say, and I said it. I didn't raise my voice. I owned my part in it. I also made it clear that he needed to own his part of it. 

He doesn't really have much to say. He's not a talker, and that makes things difficult. After I said my piece I went back to scrubbing.

Finally, in a quiet voice, he admitted that I was right. 

I looked at him, knowing full well that's all I was going to get out of him. I said, "You know, you expect everyone else to address their problems. You're pretty vocal about personal responsibility. Why are you exempt from that?" 

I scrubbed some more. 

He left to do some work over at the renovation. 

Marriage is two imperfect people. It just bothers me a lot sometimes that after 25 years, we still stumble. 

Did you ever just run into a random person that changes the whole complexion of your day? That happened today. I got to talking to a woman over some lawn furniture set out at the curb, and it was the most fascinating conversation. She and her husband winter in one place and summer here, so I didn't know her, But in an amazingly short period of time, we knew an awful lot about each other. We had people in common. questions asked and answers given, and 'huh!' and so on and so forth. We exchanged phone numbers and e-mails and she said, "You're extremely intelligent. I can tell that about you. You are a good person. I can tell that too." 

A random meeting, random words, but boy, today they felt like a blessing. Two strangers hugged on the curb and I headed to the car. 

I went back to continue working. Tim came back, and said, a little uncertainly, "Your sister wants to know if we want to come for supper. She's making sloppy joes." 

I did want to go. I just needed conversation. I just wanted to talk. 

It was a nice supper. The words flowed, and there was plenty of laughter. Her son and his wife and grandson were there too. He is retiring from the Army and they are in the process of moving to the farm up the road that they bought a few years back so it was nice to be a part of that excitement too. 

William was due back and we could only stay a couple hours. The car ride home was still quiet, but it seemed a lot easier to bear the silence with the echoes of laughter and talk still fresh in my ears. .



34 comments:

  1. I hope that the issue with Tim gets resolved soon. An atmosphere is no good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never an angry silence or a mean, cutting silence. He is just a quiet man, and a resolution can't happen without some amount of words.

      Delete
  2. A good day
    Hope problems get sorted..looks like you both are travelling in the right direction... Sending good wishes..

    That's a Cosmic Chuckle when you just meet someone and it all clicks into place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just such a random meeting. I mean really, she'd put some wicker furniture to the curb and I stopped to see if it had a sign.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes the best of marriages veer off onto a bumpy sideroad. I hope you hit smooth pavement again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Soon' would be nice. His solution was to fix two problem faucets. That's not what I wanted to fix, but it's his nature.

      Delete
  4. I'm afraid I am somewhat Tim like. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve. I am good to have around in an non personal crisis as I think logically, focus on what has to be done and how to make things work out. But if it is about emotions, I flounder. Logic doesn't work when emotion is involved. It is about how someone feels and it can be hard to be in their shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim has never been an emotional sort. He's steady on. I've pretty much adapted my nature to work around his nature. I think that dealing with his health issues has really rocked this marriage. Resolution will happen, I suppose, but it would happen a lot sooner if he would talk.

      Delete
  5. My husband has two speeds, silence or lectures, neither are very pleasant. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim has one speed: Quiet. Sometimes that silence is an issue.

      Delete
  6. Wow. What an amazing post, Debby. You hit some very hard topics right on the head.
    My husband and I rarely, if ever, do what you might call "fighting". But sometimes I think we just do not have the skills to work things through which is time-wasting and hurtful. I think we are both afraid of roiling the waters and of course, in any relationship the waters are going to be roiled at some point.
    We all work ourselves through these things though, don't we?
    As for the father of the little girl who was so dreadfully injured- he is an example of a truly loving person. I am so very glad that his daughter appears to be fine and I hope that the man driving the truck did indeed get in touch with him.
    Isn't it funny how we can have such powerful encounters with people we don't know? I have had that experience many times and it is always life-changing in at least some small way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will survive. (cue Gloria Gayner) it just drags on longer than it needs to.

      Delete
  7. I have to admit that I don't like talking about emotions. Not immediately when something has happened anyway. The truth is I can't talk about them because I haven't had time to figure out how I'm feeling. Things that annoy or please me intensely in the moment often fade away to insignificance in time, while other things which I hardly notice at the time go on to have great significance. It's just the way I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad the little girl will be OK Debby. Like you say our own problems are so insignificant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Dave. Something like that puts things into perspective.

      Delete
  9. That's quite a story, about the accident. It's remarkable when people who have been through such an experience can be so forgiving and caring about the other driver involved. The world needs more of that kind of thoughtfulness.

    I'm sure it's frustrating for a talker to live with someone who's not a talker. I think John's comment above is quite revealing. I'll talk about emotional issues if I have to, but Dave doesn't like to talk about them at all. (In truth, I think he never learned how. His family doesn't talk emotions either.) I'm sure when Tim goes away and works on faucets or whatever, he's thinking about all those issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it though? He posted a picture of the little girl today, in her hospital bed. Her injuries are so very shocking, but the plucky little thing was smiling and giving the thumbs up.

      I think with Tim that if he's fixing something, he thinks he's addressing the issues. Men. A strange and pecuiliar creature.

      Delete
  10. I remember going to counseling once and being told that we had to learn how to fight (or argue rather) in a positive way - but it is so easy to slide into non-constructive ways. (Redacted a whole heap of "you don't really need to know this and I don't need to put it out there").
    I do love moments when you meet with people, old and new, who revitalize the you that you know you are. Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our problem has always been that Tim doesn't let on there is a problem. I've been going along, and suddenly discover that my husband has strong feelings and has been keeping them to himself.

      Delete
  11. Sometimes life gets difficult and stressful. Everybody has to own some part of the challenge. Two steps ahead , one step back. Life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words, Red. I think divorce happens when people cannot see their own part in things.

      Delete
  12. I think in my 15 or more years of blogging I've never read a post like this one: a most revealing and extraordinary one. I was married for about 20 years. We never, so far as I can recall, ever had an argument. To all around us we had the perfect marriage. By the time the children left home there was nothing to be saved. I wish. you both strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be okay. It's just that sometimes when one is being quiet, he's not being exactly honest. That's where we are at.

      Delete
  13. After 46 years of marriage we are still learning. Tim strikes me as the type who won't speak until he's worked it all out in his head. Not helpful.
    Your story about the woman on the curb reminds me that we are never truly alone and this is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its just that sometimes I find myself starved for conversation. Tim is a quiet man. I've always known this.

      Delete
  14. I'm so relieved that the little girl is going to be OK and amazed by what her father wrote. I don't know if I could do that although it would help that the daughter will recover with minimal lasting effects. About the marriage, I don't know what to say except that we've all been there. Some won't admit it, preferring to pretend that everything is "perfect" or "fine." The roller coaster of life definitely includes all relationships though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. We can only hang on tight.

      Delete
  15. I survived a traumatic brain injury. It's amazing what doctors can do to relieve swelling in the brain and retain function. That little girl will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really was amazed at the pictures. Her injuries are a bit shocking, but the spunky little thing is smiling and giving a thumbs up to everyone. It IS amazing what can be done.

      Delete
  16. I grew up on a dairy farm in southern Ohio, my husband lived a city life all his life. We had nothing in common but found love bonded us together and that just got better as the years went by, 50 years before he passed away. He got teased a lot since he married the farmer's daughter, that was when all the jokes were popular about the farmer's daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that Tim loves me. It's a rough patch, and we've navigated them successfully before. Sometimes the silence is deafening.

      Delete
  17. I think you love each other a lot. The new house is a dream come true. I am so happy that it is started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that his health scare has changed things up a bit. I expect it's probably a pretty common thing.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Encouragement.

 You know, a profound thing happened this morning, before I even got out of bed. We have a pretty nice relationship with our tenants. 3 of t...