Thursday, May 18, 2023

Correct me if I'm wrong.

 Interestingly enough, Tim trusted me with a gallon of paint and a paint brush today, less than a week after I managed to drop a gallon bucket of paint on a hardwood floor. Of course, today there was no hardwood floor to drop it on, which probably gave him a great deal of comfort. We were working on the renovation today. I painted while he and a neighbor finished up the last few pieces of hardie board siding. 

It felt nice to work on something besides cleaning the rental, which is one project away from being completely done. I just did not feel like scrubbing grout with a toothbrush today, and jumped at the chance to work outside. 

Tim's off tonight to have a sleep study done. He was pretty tired when he left, so I"m sitting up in the dark waiting for him to call and tell me that he got there safely. I really kind of don't think he needs that study since he's pretty much gotten back to a normal sleep pattern, which makes me feel better. His doctor really pushed for it saying that they can get quite a bit of information from it. Tim agreed. 

William had his spring band concert tonight. He's in sixth grade and seeing him up on stage with all the other kids, he just looked so small. There were two kids who looked like grown men! We're waiting though. I know that his height bothers him and last week, a girl walked behind him on the way home from school making fun of his size. I keep telling him that genetically speaking, he should be a quite a tall kid. In fact he has grown a couple inches since Christmas, which was discovered when he put on his suit pants which were just a wee bit short.  I felt bad that I hadn't thought to have him try them on before the concert. 

We have just been busy, a little busier than I want to be, but I keep telling myself that once the new build starts, we'll be busier yet.

Know how I can tell when I've got too much happening in my life? Tonight I noticed that two key wound clocks and one weight driven clock have stopped. 

Well. I'm headed to bed. Tim just called. His appontment was for 12 PM according to the information packet we received in the mail. 12 PM is midnight, the end of night. 12:01 begins AM. Likewise, 12 noon is the end of morning. One minute after noon becomes afternoon PM. That's the way I''ve always understood it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

Turns out, they expected him there at noon. Ugh.

21 comments:

  1. Yeh, it's confusing. The instructions should have given an example. Yep, 12:01 AM is one minute after midnight, similar to "gosh, I was up last night until 2 AM in the morning, looking at the dark." 12:00 PM is noon. 12:00 AM is midnight. Hope they can still do the study. Didn't know they did sleep studies at Noon, which would be a nap study. Most sleep studies start around 9PM or 10PM. Hope they find out things. I swore I never went to sleep during mine, but they said I did and didn't breath 1/4 of the time: not good for heart, lungs, brain, or any body part. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could spend hours weeding Debby but I absolutely hate painting. Horses for courses I suppose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They should have said 'noon'. Silly people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think hospital or medical speak is something different. I am always directed to 'portals' now that gives room for imagination to someone who has always been a space fiend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a "sleep" study before and it wasn't fun. By the time they connected all the wires and other things, sleep was extremely hard to come by as I was terrified of getting tangled up in all that crap and had to sleep in abnormal positions. I came home absolutely exhausted after my "sleep" study.

    Midnight is always 12 am. Who does sleep studies starting at 12 pm, i.e. noon? That just doesn't seem right.

    My brother had something that was then called delayed growth syndrome. His bones were two or three years behind his actual growth. So he was a foot shorter than all the other boys in high school. But he is probably the only one I know who grew a foot in college! Now he is 6'2" and one would never know that he was a shrimp in school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rather think here in the UK it would have been 12 noon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is an interesting discussion point but 12pm is generally accepted as midday as every other minute of that hour is technically post meridian - however
    "At exactly 12 noon, the Sun is at its highest point in the sky and directly over the meridian. It is therefore neither 'ante' (am) nor 'post' (pm) meridiem. At 12 midnight it also neither am nor pm." - https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/noon-12-am-or-12-pm#:~:text=The%2012%2Dhour%20clock%20divides,sun%20has%20crossed%20the%20meridian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just because most people do not sleep at noon, I would have thought that the 12:00 pm meant midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer military time (I'm ex-Army!) then there's no confusion. Please tell William there's always time to grow. My son was 5'10" and wore size 12 shoes when he left for college. Four years later he was 6'7" and size 16 shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The way you think of it is what makes sense to me, but no!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son left for the Army when he was 17 and very short, when he came home about six months later he had grown about a foot. He came home an Army Ranger and from there spent 23 years in the Army and made a name for himself as a damn good Ranger. He came home on leave to graduate high school at 18 and then fly out to do what Rangers do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, that's a surprise ending to your post. I'm not sure what kind of sleep test is done at noon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 12 pm is noon but they should just say "12 noon" so there is no mistake. Did they do the test anyway? or does he have to reschedule?
    My son, Matt, always wanted to be taller when he was in high school as he played sports. All of my sons grew during their college years and all 4 are now 6 feet or taller. Tell William to be patient! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can understand the confusion, but 12pm is noon. It changes at exactly 12, not 12:01. This is where a 24-hour clock would be better. There would be no mistaking either 12 or 0. I think we’re officially on 24 hour time but no one uses it in regular conversation. Anyway, they really should have specified 12 noon to avoid the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can understand the confusion and much prefer the 24 hour clock for that reason. I'm sure it's also why we use the words noon and midnight. As your other commenters have already said, 12 pm is noon. Hope it didn't mess up Tim's sleep study too much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They should have reinforced the time using noon or midnight. I've always understood 12:00 pm to be noon and 12:00 am to be midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I stand corrected then. I have always seen midnight as 2400, the close of the day. 1200 hours as the end of morning. Since it was a sleep study. It made sense to us both.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No need to correct you as you are spot on with the time as far as I am concerned. Hope the concert and sleep study went well. Tell William to hang in there. Kyle hit his growth spurt in 7th grade and you can even tell he was the little guy in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no! I hope Tim is able to take the test anyway. Or reschedule without too much trouble.

    We in the library often remark on how the sixth and seventh grade boys look so young compared to the girls, who seem much more mature. That could be because middle school boys are goofballs in general.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Our friend in Illinois' son, Rob was very short throughout grade school and middle school. Our son was one of the tall boys. Art told Keola that he will probably stop growing like he did. In fact the coach during his grade school wanted Art on the football team... until he stopped growing. Our friend told Rob that he would probably a late bloomer like himself. And sure enough. When Rob was graduating high school, he was taller than Keola and he grew even taller in college.
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Surely 12 cannot be either am or pm as the 'a' stands for ante meaning before while 'p' stands for post, meaning after. Exactly on 12 can be neither before nor after.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Feeding the Masses.

 Donna W. talked about potato soup over on her blog , I still have about 30 lbs of potatoes that I need to use, and I thought that would be...