Sunday, May 21, 2023

Speed Painting

 Well, live and learn. 12 noon is 12PM. 12 midnight is 12AM. And now that I know this amazing factoid, you can bet the ranch that I will never need that information again. 

It's been a busy week. We painted the new siding at the renovation. It really does look very nice, a soft gray to go with the dark gray cedar shakes on the second floor and the even darker gray shingles on the roof. It took two days to complete. Friday, we got up, determined to get the job done since it was supposed to rain all day Saturday. Except that as we worked, it got windier. It got cooler. It got darker. 

I said, "Are you sure about the rain? Because, boy, it does look like rain." 

He said uneasily, "Better check your phone." I retrieved it from the car and looked. No rain called for. We went back to work. 

Dick, our neighbor came out, and said, "Boy. It sure does look like rain." 

We agreed, and kept on painting, albeit a bit faster. 

The paint was drying very quickly because of the wind, which was encouraging. We moved the scaffolding to the last side of the house. By the time I carried my supplies around to that side of the house, Tim was on the scaffolding painting at a furious pace. I painted from a step ladder, painting the middle section, he painted the upper section. I had completed the lowest parts the day before trying to use up my gallon of paint. 

I said, "I think it's spritzing rain." Tim had just finished his part. "We better stop right here." I was so close to being done though! I made a bold decision, and finished it. It never rained more than that bit of drizzle. Hurrah!

We hung new blinds in the rental. I've still got the bathroom grouting to do. 

Tim met with the excavator and the concrete contractor yesterday. Work on the new house begins next week. The contractor begins digging. When he's done, the concrete for the basement floor will be poured. The walls will be put in after that. While he is there, Tim's also having them pour concrete for the garage floor. 

I heard a strangled yelp from the office. "What's the matter?" I asked. "It's your birthday!" he answered. 

LOL. We've been busy. Thank goodness for facebook.



47 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! You need a celebration after all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! That happened to me years ago when I had a university exam on my birthday. I found I had a lot of post that day but still didn't realise that it was my birthday till I opened the first card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't forget. I guess we're both at a funny stage of our lives. We really cannot think of one thing that we want or need. We usually just celebrate by having a quiet supper out. I figured we would go out that evening. I did not know that he forgot.

      Delete
  3. Wahay!! Happy birthday 🎉🎂 start on the new build is as good a present as you could imagine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, you have AM and PM backwards still. 😀

    Noon is PM. Midnight is AM. Maybe I or others said it backwards on the previous post. It’s very easy to do. 🤓

    I know. Let us leave it to Google.

    “ The 12-hour clock divides the 24-hour day into two periods. am stands for the Latin ante meridiem, translating to "before midday". This is the time before the sun has crossed the meridian. pm stands for post meridiem or "after midday" – after the sun has crossed the meridian.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crrrrrap! I knew what I meant! This might be senility setting in.

      Delete
    2. Hey AC, take a look again at the top; Debby DID put it up there correctly. Don't worry about your brain Debby; AC just needed more coffee. Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    3. No. AC was right. Can't believe I did that.

      Delete
  5. Yes, as Anvilcloud said, you're still backwards on your AM and PM: 12 p.m. is noon; 12 a.m. is midnight.

    Happy birthday! Glad you got the painting done successfully. I was sure you were going to say it rained on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AC is correct.

    Happy birthday, Debby!! I never forget mine. Even if I do nothing more than sit home all day by choice, it's still my special day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Looks like I got dementia for my birthday.

      Delete
  7. Had you forgotten too? Honey, y'all work HARD for your money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I did not forget. I just figured that we would go out for supper.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Can I assume my cute little piggie is posted?

      Delete
  9. Boy do you guys keep busy! Happy Birthday Debby, I hope you managed to find the time to do something to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point it will all end. I'm hoping it happens before I die. :)

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday Debby. Hope you got taken out somewhere special that didn't involve a paintbrush and a gallon of paint!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to a nice little restaurant we both like.

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday, Debby. Get the paint out of your hair and have a piece of pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter some how finangled the delivery of a cheesecake.

      Delete
  12. The weather never seems to cooperate on my schedule.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! I'm glad the weather cooperated. I hate leaving a job nearly finished. That's why I took a 2 day yard/flowerbed project and turned it into a one long (backbreaking) afternoon one. I can be stupidly stubborn! Hope you get a chance to celebrate eventually!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did. I got wine coolers. Tim got a new chainsaw. Claims that he needs a spare.

      Delete
  14. Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Deb-by - Happy birthday to you!
    Hip Hip...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to you, Debby! What an exciting way to spend your birthday! Sounds like you are happy, tho! and that's what counts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be exciting to get the new build underway. It's been a dream for such a long time.

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness! So busy you forgot the birthdayl!😂Happy birthday to you!! And congratulations on getting the painting done, what a relief that must be! I’ve been painting our porch this spring and it’s just never ending… but I’m ready to paint the spindles on the staircase railing now, just 18 of them! I’ve already been over the 70 spindles on the porch railing (3 times!! After washing them first!😵‍💫😂). Now onto the veggie garden and the flower beds… while trying to remember it should all be for fun! Have a relaxing birthday evening🤗Hugs, Ricki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't forget my birthday. Poor Tim did. He felt terrible. But he'll get a chance to redeem himself. Tomorrow is our 25th anniversary.

      Delete
  17. Happy, Happy Birthday, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor Tim. Hope you had a happy birthday regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice day. Dinner out. I got a very cool antique egg timer for a dollar. More about that later.

      Delete
  19. Happy birthday, and good job getting that big painting job done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a big project ticked off the to do list!

      Delete
  20. You guys really keep yourselves busy. You're so busy you forget your birthday. Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Uh, the notes seem that maybe a correction occurred before I got here. (I work weekends...) Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It was right in my head, and it may have been right the first time I typed it. Proof reading (admittedly a poor job) I corrected am and pm to AM and PM. At some point I reversed it again. I fixed it. I did not want every one to think I got dementia for my birthday.

      Delete
  22. Happy birthday! Good job on the painting - and great teamwork. Your story reminds me (a bit) of the kids book "big dog little dog", where one of them paints part of the house green and the other one paints part of the house red... but I assume you and Tim were using the same colour :) have a great rest of the day, Cat from Paris.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Weary

I am sure that everyone has seen the video of the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. I lived in Baltimore for a couple years while my...