Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Tuesday

Painted at the old house today. Got another load of stuff out. Cleaned. Loaded up an old homemade bookshelf. I had plans for it. I wanted it in the basement to hold my canned stuff. It is parked right next to the freezers. 

It has to be a hundred years old:


Ignore the dust. We had a busy day, did not get home until 6. I had tomatoes to be picked, processed and put into jars for stewed tomatoes
 I am pleased to say that I got it all done and am waiting for the "ping'. (1 down, 7 to go.)

Anyways, what I love about that shelf is that it is made out of a shipping crate. You can see the "use no hooks' on the back. The rest of it is painted. The door is gone. But look at the top of it. The man who made it took the time to 'pretty it up' for whoever he was making it for. Me, being me, imagined a happy little story about a happy little couple in a happy little house about a hundred years ago. I imagine him proudly giving it to her, and her believing she had married the cleverest man in the world. 

How can you get rid of something with a story like that?

(2nd jar pinged)

I also found a very excellent find today. My oldest granddaughter sews little things for herself by hand  but she dearly wanted a sewing machine. She bought herself a child's sewing machine from her own money, but it never did work properly. I read up on it (3rd jar pinged) and my daughter in law and I discussed simply getting her a regular adult sewing machine. The concern was spending a lot of money on an 8 year old's hobby, but today on marketplace. $30! Even if she loses interest, the machine can be sold without losing money.


I could not wait to tell them (4th jar pinged) and her grandma there has offered to teach her to sew. 

Today was my son"s 40th birthday. I sent him a review:

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Great kid. 
Would birth again.

No reply. Poor guy evidently did not find it as funny as I did. His real gift was a bottle of blended bourbon/maple syrup (it actually is quite smooth and I don't even like bourbon) and  pancake makings. He is the master breakfast dad. 

Today was my youngest granddaughter's first full day of preschool. She decided at the last minute she wanted to stay with mom, but she didn't cry. At the end of the day, she was all smiles. She loved it, much to everyone's relief.

5th jar pinged while I was breaking up at cat fight. 

Tomorrow, it is supposed to rain. I am glad for that. It gives me a day off from working on the old house, which is good. I have peppers to chop for the freezer. I imagine we will have another round of tomatoes to pick. Tomorrow night we will have to cover everything. Unbelievably, there are frost warnings.


6th and 7th jars pinged.

Trump claimed today that two burly firemen dragged him from the rubble on 9/11. I remember that day. He called WWOR on his penthouse line

https://youtu.be/aPvemZHnd0s?is=suKje94yYPdlg4wM

The man is crazy. 

In Canada, fancy plaques are going up on public toilets, designating them as trump monuments.

I am waiting on one remaining jar to seal. It is after midnight. Hopefully it will ping without me.


37 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The decorative top of the shelf unit probably came from another piece of furniture, sensibly repurposed.
    I was amused by the message to your son, but maybe sons don't want to think about such things.
    #47 distraction attempts aren't very distracting anymore. That was a funny act by Canadians, one even made of timber and quite classy.
    Ping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one last jar did ping in the dark, alone and uncelebrated. I hope some people remembered to spray paint their signs gold.

      Delete
  3. Yes it was a funny birthday card but perhaps not appreciated by the person receiving it. Just heard that 'he who cannot be named' was called the retarded ape in the White House. That is cruel to apes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samuel Jackson says people have gone too far in comparing Donald Trump to Satan. He may be awful, but Satan isn't that bad.

      Delete
  4. Tell your son to lighten up.
    If a jar doesn't ping, it goes straight into the refrigerator. At least at my house.
    You are a hard-working woman, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. I just let him be him. I have a strong streak of sloth in me too. I just can't let him out right now.

      Delete
  5. Do those jars ever pong? I hope you are having a ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the ping. But your comment is still funny! My canning jars are made by Ball.

      I freeze most of my stuff, but a woman I know cans almost everything. When the garden is in high gear and she is picking, pickling or processing something every day, she calls this active time 'going balls to the wall'.

      Delete
  6. You sure keep busier than me, Debby.
    Waiting for the ping is like waiting for my comment to publish! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, 'he who shall not be named' has brain rot due to Alzheimer's! So, yes ... it is insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just amazes me that people are still trying to make excuses for his blabber.

      Delete
  8. I taught my granddaughter to sew at about 8 yrs.old on my machine. She now can sew whatever she wants at 25. She goes to a store and finds the close out rack and buys the biggest size of something she likes at a big discount, takes it home, cuts it down and then make it her size that fits perfect. She graduated from an agriculture college and needed welding pants, she went to a thrift store and found a man's large pair, took them home and made herself a pair of well-fitting pants. She can weld, hunt, cook and is a real farm girl. She can field dress a deer and cook anything she kills on a hunt. You are so wise starting your granddaughter early while she has the interest in things. I am proud of your granddaughter for wanting to learn to sew. It will serve her for life. I told my girl if you run over your finger the needle will probably go through, stop and lift it out of your finger , it will hurt but makes you very careful after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this is her 'thing' her other grandma, who lives minutes away will be her teacher.

      Delete
  9. Too funny what you said to your son! 😅 My God, Trumps such a corrupt, deranged asshole! Don't liars have any limits?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those rump monuments, hope they are fake gold who said we don’t have a great sense of humour. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do! we all need to push hard and laugh loud. The situation is totally ridiculous.

      Delete
  11. Like the idea of a Simple Singer - that's what I should have got years ago.
    Hadn't heard about the monuments - clever idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed so hard when I saw some of the pictures.

      Delete
  12. Pinging jars are one of the happiest sounds in the world! I am so angry about his lies. So angry. Stolen valor.
    What a great deal on the sewing machine! I see lots of adventures in sewing lessons. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves crafts, so I can see her really getting in to this.

      Delete
  13. I love the birthday review. I need to remember that for one of my kids.
    Hope the last ping happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did. in the quiet darkness, the last ping happened.

      Delete
  14. 100 years doesn't seem as old as it used to !
    I like Ellie's comment about running your finger over with the needle - you just pull it out and be more careful... though from personal experience I had to go to A and E because the needle tip was jammed in good into my nailbed and I needed a local anaesthetic before we could pull it out..!
    I waited until my daughter was 9 and could sit at the table and reach the floor pedal, before I let her use my machine all by herself, before that we had one person on the pedal, on person on the cloth... but if you have a smaller table... I am sure your granddaughter can be autonomous earlier! Good job on helping her, lots of fun to be had.... Cathy (greetings from Paris)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. I can't help her out with this one. Her other grandma will be the teacher. I think she won't be autonomous for quite some time.

      Delete
  15. My grandmother used to put a playpen around her sewing machine to keep the children out while she was sewing! I pretty much taught myself to sew with Mum advising what went wrong - pretty much how my kids have learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think that simply having access to a sewing machine will allow her to learn as she grows. My mother had one. We were not allowed to touch it.

      Delete
  16. When my granddaughter started college, she was amazed that her new friends did not know how to sew a button on or hem a pair of jeans. She asks didn't their mom or gram teach them these things. My daughter made sure her two kids learned every household chore as they grew. They are both thankful now but were very upset when she was insisting they learn these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All kids should have a chance to learn to be self sufficient.

      Delete
  17. Score on the sewing machine! I would have laughed at your text, for what it's worth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the birthday review text. I might borrow the idea for my son's next birthday, when he turns 45. How can it be possible that our children are so old and we are so young?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  19. How long will you keep the old house?

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mum taught me to sew using her machine when I was about 8. I remember going to needlework class when I started high school and I was the only one in the class who could thread a machine. I hope she enjoys her own machine.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Update

 The 'other' Tim is off the ventilator. His wife Noreen says that he sleeps a lot, but she managed to get a picture of him awake whi...