Sunday, September 20, 2026

Nothing but giggles



The worst guard dog in the world:
(But what a good boy!)


This week has been full on.

I have done 5 batches of tomatoes. Today I am going to make ketchup, and then we are going to call it good. I have never made ketchup before but the crazy lady across the road made 70 pints of the stuff last week. (Note that the crazy lady scross the road is my sister.) She had a bushel of tomatoes on her porch and begged me to take them, saying she was about sick of looking at tomatoes, having canned them in about every incarnation you could think of. 

I did not need those tomatoes. I have a crazy glut of them over here, and I am getting a bit sick of looking at them myself, but then I got the idea that if I took Anna's bushel and processed those, it would move me one step closer to about sick of looking at them. I am heading to my son's house next week. That is the perfect opportunity to foist my excess tomatoes off on my daughter in law so that she can get sick of looking at them too. 

Tomatoes. The gift that keeps on giving.

Anyways, when I went to get the tomatoes off my sister's porch, her husband sent me off with a jar of homemade ketchup. My husband had some at lunch time and loved the stuff. I have a juicer and so many tomatoes that I had no real excuse not to make a batch of it for him. But after that, I am done, well and truly. 

With tomatoes, anyhow.

It has gotten cool enough that I can start dehydrating. As the garden starts winding down, I pick the little dribs and drabs of the end of season stuff and dehydrating. All those dried vegetables go into a glass jar. Whenever I make vegetable soup, I just scoop out a couple scoops.

We finished the last birthday celebration Friday night. My oldest has turned 45. That celebration marked the last of the September birthdays, 4 in 3 weeks. 

In between that we are working on the old house. It will be sided in October. Once that is done, we will just close it up for the winter and resume work next spring. We are putting in replacement windows in the attic. Those 4 windows are the only windows that have not been replaced. The house has 26 windows, so that is a big deal. 

Saturday was a nice day. We protested (it is changing, people!) and then Tim needed to mow the lawn at the old house. I needed to go to the library to look up a death registration. So he headed off in the car, and I headed off on foot. A couple walking their dog recognized me as one of the people on the corner and we all offered encouraging words. 

After the library, I began the walk to the old house where Tim was. They must have been selling out a home business. They had new sweatshirts on sale for $5, 5 for $20. I only found 3 that would work, sad, but it was a good find to put away for Christmas. I was also pleased to find a large, heavy wok for $3. We like stir fries here and I have always used a big skillet. I will swap them out. 

I walked on carrying my wok and the folded sweatshirts and met a friendly dog and his human. She commented on my load, and I told her about the yardsale. I commented on her beautiful yard and she invited me in her gate to talk plants. She was moaning about an invasive ground cover which gets a pretty white flower. I said I would take that off her hands to plant along the banks on both sides of the walk leading to my basement door. 

A deal was struck, and I headed off walking with my wok, 3 sweatshirts, and a handful of starts for my ground cover.

I finally made it to the house. Tim was wondering where I'd gotten to. 

We needed to stop at a couple stores. Wouldn't you know, there were bargains there, as well. 25# bags of Miracle Grow potting soil for $3 (down from $9.48) and seed starting medium marked down from $5 to $1.87. The back of the Subaru began fill up. 

We had a satisfactory day indeed, and I came home to process another batch of darn tomatoes.





35 comments:

  1. Cute. Isn't there a food pantry that could give the tomatoes to those in need? Or ketchup? Nice funnies and nice neighborly stories. You've got a good party of the world in your neighborhood! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, actually. I know we have a one in Titusville. I should find out.

      Delete
  2. Ketchup? You have an incredible amount of energy. What a nice neighborhood to walk through. I think the ground cover you picked up is gout weed, sometimes called Bishops Weed. Here in NH it is invasive. Daughter has it and has tried to rid herself of it for years - mostly unsuccessfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually called houttuynia cordata, common name hootenanny plant. I probably will hate myself in a year or two.

      Delete
  3. I made ketchup one year. Glen's father had grown what I call a "farmer's garden." He used all the stuff. Pesticides, fertilizer...
    Still, I could not refuse his huge gifts of tomatoes. It reached the point where I told him that if he showed up in my house with one more tomato, I was not going to let him in. He loved that.
    The ketchup was really good, by the way.
    We have FIVE family birthdays between next Saturday and the following Tuesday. I kid you not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never expected to partying like this in our dotage, did we?

      Delete
  4. That IS a satisfactory day! I can't imagine dealing with that many tomatoes. I guess this is one huge reason why I don't grow food! Dave might get a kick out of trying to make ketchup, though.

    It's cool that your protesting has made you more visible to people who share your political views. It's community-building, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I planted these plants because usually, I can count on in answer to yesterday's comment, this is surely not a onsomething going wrong. Except this year, it didn't!

      It is nice to see trucks driving for businesses waving or tooting their horns. People are generally supportive. Yes. There are jerks. But we are really picking up momentum.

      In answer to your comment on the last post, the toy drive is definitely not a one woman project. It was maybe a one woman idea last year, but it was definitely a community project. Once the community saw how beautifully it worked, they were eager to do it again. I have a good partner. Our old volunteers are returning. We have new folks stepping up. As more and more people are involved, I see it as morphing into a true community led community fed and community run project.

      Delete
  5. Tomatoes and bargains: you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one successful shopping day! I can't wait to see the vine and flowers next season.
    Gosh, you must have had all the tomatoes in your neck of the woods! Everyone here just talks about how disappointing our tomato season as been, in quantity, size and flavor. You sound as sick of them as I am of cucumbers. Now that the vines have died, I miss them. Luckily I have 47 pints of pickles to keep their memory all winter.
    Thank you for showing up! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry, if we lived anywhere close I would have swapped you tomatoes for cucumbers.

      Delete
  7. I have a crazy sibling too. ;)
    (Literally laughed aloud at that first meme.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange thing about crazy siblings...if anyone asks them, they will say that we're the crazy ones. A sure sign that they have gone off the deep end!

      Delete
  8. That's a whole lot of tomatoes. I think I'd have stopped in single digits.
    Your protest is definitely taking root, and having an effect. It's also showing you your allies in the community that you might not have known. I get such joy when something I've posted and campaigned for comes to pass. Like the defeat of the Clarity Act. And the multiple defeats of voting attacks. And curtailment of ICE, that one in my State. It all counts. Go you! Go us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone is seeing the momentum change. It is pretty amazing to be a part of that. I cannot tell you how often I wondered what Joanne would jabe to say about all of this. I also loved that protesters have surrounded the Kennedy center. So much to celebrate. No. We are not out of the woods yet but we are beginning to see the worst of it winding down.

      Delete
  9. Certainly a successful day!!
    I'm envious of those tomatoes!...and the canning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were here,I would put your willing hands to work. I would also share the fruit of our labors.

      Delete
  10. When we used to have a big garden at the end of the year, I gathered everything that could be used in soup and canned them together, that was years ago. When we had pot roast on Sunday, I saved all the juices and leftover meat, and the next day made a big pot of veggie soup. It was a really easy meal and my husband loved soup. I only like chili or bean soups.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those memes, especially the machines as smart as people. Which people indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny memes! You are so good at finding bargains, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, Ellen, it has become a bit of a joke between us. If we need something, it is going to turn up and be a bargain to boot. Those attic windows? $10 each.

      Delete
  13. Other things to do with tomatoes - very slow roast with garlic and then moosh and reduce - makes the most delicious tomato paste (absoluely divine with hors d'oevre), relish and pickles - and you can dehydrate them also. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are not big pickle eaters, tbh. I will dehydrate some. Some people can 'finished products'. You take a jar of her shelf and there is supper. That is handy, I suppose, but I am more a fan of 'ingredients'. If a recipe calls for a can of beans or tomatoes or whatever, I can go ahead the stuff off the shelf. I have three jars of pickles still on the shelf from last year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I admire the way you process so much of your produce into food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Oprah Winfrey at Christmas! "You get tomatoes, and you get tomatoes! Tomatoes for everybody!!!!"

      Delete
  16. If your sister is the crazy lady across the road, then how does your sister refer to you? Are you her crazy lady across the road? How did you end up with a plethora of tomatoes? We had a tomato shortage this year. I love the scurvy meme.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite sure she does! Junie, I am going to say that I have no idea what happened with those tomatoes. Honest to Pete. I topped my raised beds off with a good layer of manure and kept them covered this winter. In the spring, I had plants that I started. My sister had extras that I took because I felt sorry for them. I expected, as usual that something would go wrong, because something always seems to happen. This is the year that nothing did. The take away from this year? 1) Nobody needs that many tomato plants. 2) I need to make sure those bad boys get pruned. I missed pruning because that was the month the car got stolen. Next year, I will definitely plan the spaces differently. But what a super year this was!

      Delete
    2. All I can say now is Congratulations on all those lovely tomatoes!

      Delete
  17. This did give me giggles! From the tomatoes to to being allergic to coffee--(AWK!) Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When we lived in Seattle, it was zucchini. People would bring them to work, leave them in the coffee areas, begging people to take them. It's not warm/sunny enough for tomatoes, but zucchini was happy there. I didn't know catsup could be made at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a veritable font of useless information!

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

A new low.

The Y has stepped up once again, allowing us to hold the Christmas Toy Giveaway in their gym. They approved our dates. Drop-off is Dec 11th,...