Tuesday, September 22, 2026

That Other Tim


 If you can spare a good thought, this is Tim. Not my husband Tim but my cousin Father Tim. (Oh we do have fun with this...) After 540+ days on the transplant list, the last 117 of them spent in the hospital, he was awakened this morning to the news of a possible heart. 

After a long day, it was decided that the heart was a healthy one and that he was a good match. Surgery started just before 7PM. 

It will be a long night for him, his wife and family and the surgeons. 

While we all wait, filled with hope, we cannot forget there is a grieving family who has made an incredibly generous gift. Remember them, too.

Tim's faithful sidekick Wilson was bouncing with excitement at this morning's news.


64 comments:

  1. So hoping for a good outcome. Recovery is rugged but I bet he'll think it's worth it. And how typical of you to remember the donor and their family who made this huge gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that this is always something that really hits home to all transplant recipients: that someone died so that they could live.

      Delete
    2. We must reframe this one! Someone was dying anyway, and that's sad, but they also left a beautiful gift behind. -Kate

      Delete
  2. I hope all goes well and that he makes a rapid recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are closing him up now and he is stable.

      Delete
  3. All good wishes for favorable, remarkable outcomes for your cousin, family, and medical team. And enduring gratitude for the donor and family, too.
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just copy what Boud said---- every word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This mindfulness is not the exception to the rule. There is such an awareness of that other family.

      Delete
  5. Don't float away, Wilson. I hope the surgery has an excellent outcome so Father Tim can go on Fathering for years. Before my mother's funeral, a nun walked in and signed the guest book. My siblings and I had no idea who she was. I sidled over and was then able to tell them, It's Jim's sister the Sister. Jim was our late brother-in-law.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. A heart transplant?? It certainly doesn't get bigger or more serious than this. Don't know him, but I know you and I pray he makes it Debby. I can't wait for an update. πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, hoping for the biggest positive, that it all goes well and recovery isn't too demanding. As you say, thankful thoughts to the family who lost someone and yet still reached out to help someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an authorized organ donor. so many people die while waiting on that list. If anything I have can change the life of another, I give it.

      Delete
  8. Wishing the best of luck to Fr Tim, and sending up much gratitude to the donor family for their generosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I think everyone who loves Tim feels profound gratitude right now.

      Delete
  9. I hope everything goes smoothly for him. What an incredible gift the donor family has made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine the pain that comes with making a decision like that. I can also not imagine denying someone a chance at life.

      Delete
  10. Hope all goes well for the Other Tim. A friend had the same procedure and kept a friendship with his donor's family.

    I wonder where the Wilson started? Another friend has a Wilson...but that one is an empty coconut shell!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was in the Tom Hanks movie, Castaway.

      Delete
    2. Also the brand of the basketball, as I recall. Was so sad when Wilson was lost after drifting away from the raft. I cried.

      Delete
  11. Best of luck. Oddly enough, we watched an old episode of DOC last evening. It involved a transplant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Father Tim has a wife? How?

    Best wishes for a good outcome and complete healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is an Episcopal priest. The Americsn anglican. It was where I belonged.

      Delete
  13. Fingers crossed and let us know. It is almost or is, routine surgery now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Crazy how far we have come...and now anti science is trying to undo many of those advances.

      Delete
  14. Yes of course I will hope for all the best and every good outcome. May the donor's family find some peace knowing that a heart that beat in a person they loved will sustain another life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that my Aunt, as Tim's mother, is filled with profound gratitude at the pain filled sacrifice of the donor's mother.

      Delete
  15. I hope everything went well for your cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmmm ... Fr. Tim ... shades of a place called Mitford! Jan Karon's series and I have read them all!
    It sounds like the surgery has been successful and, hopefully, healing will be worry-free!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great thanks for the donor and their family, giving so others can live. And prayers and good wishes to Fr Tom for a healthy recovery and outcome. What a special and hopeful time.
    My friend's grandson went on the heart transplant list a few weeks after his birth. It was such a struggle for her family during the year he waited. You just cannot pray for the death of another child. You can only pray for your child to live. It was a hard time. I tried to reassure her that no one was praying for a death. Death happens. And from the other side, when my sister in-law died unexpectedly it was such a comfort to our family that she was able to be a donor to many others.
    By the way, Baby Mikey is now known as Super Mikey and started kindergarten this year. Best Wishes Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear that the surgery was successful and Father Tim is stable. Hope recovery goes smoothly and he will finally be able to get out of the hospital. Much thanks to the organ donor and their family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read a book about a heart transplant patient suddenly having many traits, and cravings for foods and drinks, that the donor had, and for the donor's family, whom she met, this was a bittersweet and healing outcome. I'm glad to hear Tim is doing well, and to think how much more he'll enjoy his daily life with a properly working heart. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I read about that a long time ago.

      Delete
  20. Sending hopeful wishes for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Prayers for Father Tim and all his family plus the donor family and donor who so generously and kindly offered his/her heart.
    Hope the news today is good news.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As good as can be expected, as far as we known.

      Delete
  22. Best of luck to Father Tim, what a long ordeal. Here's hoping for good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a long ordeal indeed. Tim's older brother had the same condition. He died.

      Delete
  23. Prayer of healing and peace for ALL those connected to this event. πŸ™πŸΌ

    ReplyDelete
  24. So grateful for people who donate organs, blood, and tissue...and for those who practice medicine! Here's hoping for a good outcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, everything seems to be going as expected.

      Delete
  25. I know several transplant recipients - here is to the gift keeping him going! (a girl that I grew up with recently had her 25 year "new heart" birthday - she has since even had a baby - how amazing is that?)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sending the very best wishes to the other Tim! πŸ’— And btw- I’m sorry for being absent in comments section, but I’ve been faithfully reading your posts😊
    Happy Autumn!πŸ‚ xo, Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, Rigmor. I am glad you are out there. No comment needed.

      Delete
  27. And also - I’m sorry grateful for every person who is a donor. I’m hoping everyone checks that off on their driver’s license! I mean.. why not? It would be an honor to know my misfortune/death could save one or many other lives. -Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly my question...why wouldn't anyone designate that?

      Delete
  28. Sending good vibes to other Tim and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been waiting to hear. I hate to bug. They all have their hands full.

      Delete
  29. Keeping watch here, Debby! Hoping for fantastic outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I am a little concerned that I haven't seen any more updates, but I am sure they are exhausted after a sleepless night, and they have more important things atm.

      Delete
  30. Praying for Cousin Father Tim!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

That Other Tim

 If you can spare a good thought, this is Tim. Not my husband Tim but my cousin Father Tim. (Oh we do have fun with this...) After 540+ days...