Jabblog has been on my mind. 2 weeks without a post is unlike her. You are missed, Janice.
A possum just might be my spirit animal.
Sad truth: we still have a road atlas in our car. If Google maps ever fails us, we have outdated road information for all 50 states.
ARGHHHHHH, Matey!

Phantom the feral cat has begun to come to the door and meow when he is hungry. He also makes eye contact when I talk to him.
I am heading east a day early with my tomatoes and onions and cucumbers and peppers and chicken and summer squash and a sewing machine and an armload of clothes for my girls. The weather has changed so dramatically that my vines are dying. I am going to pick all those remaining tomatoes tomorrow afternoon. It is strange that it is all winding down, but the last two days have been long sleeve weather. Septem-brrrrrrrr!
I used my 'new' wok for the first time today. I like my wok a wot. I made a passable chicken stir fry, although I did get a bit carried away with the ginger slices. It will take a bit of experimenting to find the best recipes.
Trump's ban on CNN, MS NOW, and Politico backfired on him. The television networks took turns doing the video and audio for trump coverage. The film and audio was shared with all the networks. In a show of network solidarity, CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX are refusing to provide television press coverage. Trump did a ribbon cutting. No one could hear him without the microphones provided by the television networks.
I believe he is at the FO stage.
I did such a stupid, stupid thing. I will tell you what I did to make you all feel much better about yourselves. It was one of those busy days. I got home from errands with a list of things that needed doing. It was one of those scattered days. Long story short, I got my stuff from the car, headed for the house and jumped right into checking boxes.
The next morning I had an early meeting. I got into the car and turned the key. Nothing. I dashed back into the house where Tim was eating breakfast. "The battery is dead in the Subaru!" I grabbed the fob for the Honda and flew back out the door.
Tim put the battery charger on the car, and when that didn't work, he figured that it must be the starter, ordered one from RockAuto and jumped into his truck to do his own work. It was just a busy stretch of days. The following day, Tim went out to take a second look at the car, and I was surprised to hear it start. I went to the door and said, "You fixed it!"
(To be fair, he has a long history of fixing stuff)
He stood looking at me oddly.
"What?" I asked.
"You didn't put the car in park before turning off the key."
When the part showed up today, I very quietly and very humbly handled the return.
There...don't you all feel better about yourselves? If you can top that story, I sure wish you would.





I have little episodes where i don't put the car in park but nothing that fools me that much YET.
ReplyDeleteWell, I was was fooled because I was in a rush to get stuff into the refrigerator.
DeleteI am sure I could top your story, but I am so tired that all I can remember is the feeling when my husband shows me the simple reason something has gone wrong - and it was something I did or didn't do. I totally understand that feeling. I am pretty sure I always put the car in park because my driveway has an incline.
ReplyDeleteHave a safe trip and enjoy your grandchildren!!! I know everyone will be grateful for the chicken and produce. And everything else!
Celebrating that 70th birthday kind of hard, aren't we? 🤴
DeleteI locked the key in the car when I was at my aunt and uncles. Luckily. He got in through the trunk and then the back seat! I don't even remember how he miraculously pulled that off but he was a car mechanic--lol! I was mortified! Back then I couldn't use fibro fog or old age as an excuse--lol! I know the feeling.
ReplyDeleteWe had a car that had a malfunctioning lock. Tim had a habit of leaving his keys in the car. A very skinny grandson saved the day.
DeleteNot a fan of the Ed Sheeran thing top of your page, he is a good bloke. Hope he comes home to Suffolk soon.
ReplyDeleteSame here. He is a well known good guy and has got caught up in a mess not of his making.
DeleteI think everyone understands that this decision was forced upon him by Bob Kraft, the billionaire who owned Gillette Stadium. He made a demand. Caught in the middle Sheeran made a bad choice. He apologized in Philadelphia. He has donated 2 billion dollars to Gaza Relief. He is a perfectly good person and a gentle soul and it is a shame he got caught up in this.
DeleteI also have been worried about Janice, each day checking. It maybe her computer not working. I love memes, some though can be self important but many make me laugh out loud. Enjoy your trip and remember to put the car in 'park'?
ReplyDeleteI just really think the world can use a little laughter right now. As to Jon Pavlovitz, he is an important voice speaking out against what is happening in our nation. He did not vilify Ed Sheeran. He was making the point that a lot of people will condemn the people speaking out. Bob kraft did that and tried to silence the message. When push came to shove, Ed Sheeran did step up, and the dog pile of celebrities virtue signaling about it all is a bit sickening. the man has apologized, and I think it came from his heart. The proper response to that is grace. What Pavlovitz is speaking about is those who respond as Sheeran initially did, but when faced with the criticism simply double down on their stance. We are seeing that here. I have seen it happen on this blog.
DeleteMy Nissan Altima dings at me if I try to turn off the car while in Drive. My fob is getting picky, even with a fresh battery. You are retired. It's ok to slow down just a bit. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteThe Subaru predates all this fancy technology. It has a key, even, not a fob. Now that I am senile, I guess I need all this newfangled stuff!
DeleteI have one of those elderly basic cars with just a steering wheel, gear box, brakes and 4 wheels and life is easier that way! The only high-fangled bit about it is I can use my key to lock or unlock from a few feet away.
ReplyDeleteSafe journey. You will be very welcome with all those goodies.
The Subaru is one of those elderly cars. I have never done that before. My brain had jumped ahead to what I needed to do next.. I still cannot believe I did that!
DeleteYes, where is Janice? She has taken unannounced breaks before but not for such a long period.
ReplyDeleteI hope you seasoned the wok you wike a wot.
A US blogger from the noughties was a very nice person online but was suspicious about chemtrails (Interesting that spell check is happy with that word).
I suppose I have many stupid moments but I am still haunted by not being able to find reverse in the manual Peugeot we hired in England. You have to lift a ring below the handgrip with finger one and two. To be fair, Ray couldn't work it out until he accidently noticed the ring. The damn French have always tried to trip up foreign drivers with their cars.
A cat tip I recently learnt was ensure you blink often when making eye contact. That tells them that they don't see you as a threat because you feel safe enough to blink.
Have a nice and safe trip.
I have heard of the 'slow blink'. If a cat does it it means he trusts you. Let me say that Phantom does no such thing.
DeleteThe wok I wike a wot was well seasoned, coming to me second hand. It is heavy carbon steel, big, and requires two hands to lift. I have learned the trick of heating it first, until a drop of water evaporates immediately. Then add the oil. It really does work a treat.
Bought a new jeep several years ago. Didn't bother checking out interior buttons,bells,whistles before taking it out to go visit a friend. How complicated can it be, right? Got dark, time to leave, all interior lights were turned on, full blast. Manual was, of course, at home. Drove eight miles, on back roads, practically blinded, like a deer caught in interior headlights. Not my finest moment.
ReplyDeleteThe first time I drove the Subaru to my son's, I had to call home to find out how to turn off the wipers.
DeleteBloggers go, and I don’t even realize it until they come back. “Oh, you were gone!?”
ReplyDeleteI there are some blogs I check daily because the writer generally posts daily. Yours is one of them. Janice's is another.
DeleteI've done the same thing with my car. I've realized that as I've gotten older than I'm never the first and I won't be the last:)
ReplyDeleteI love those last two memes, nobody raised an eyebrow, too funny!
Your car will be loaded when you head out to visit your grandkids. Have a wonderful trip.
My daughter in law did ask if I would be able to fit it all in. It will be a fun trip.
DeleteI totaled by minivan by driving through a puddle years ago during a bad storm. I didn't think the puddle was very deep but it was and the van stalled and the water seeped in over my feet. Of course, I panicked!
ReplyDeleteHave a safe trip, Debby!
Eek. I would have been right to help you panic!
DeleteThank goodness my Prius doesn't seem to care that much if I don't put it in park before turning it off. I'd be freaking out continuously if it didn't because I often do the same thing. Or- because it's a Prius and is very quiet, it's not unusual for me to get out of the car after putting it in park and forgetting to turn it off. It always gives me a few short, polite beeps to call me back and finish the job.
ReplyDeleteStrangely, this is something I worry about. So far it hasn't happened but...
DeleteOK one time a little while ago I stopped at a gas station to fill up. But for the life of me could not open the gas cap. Tried prying it. No go. So no fill up. Then I went to the post office, came out, checked the cap and would still not open. So went directly to my auto shop, and explained the problem. They tapped the gas cap and it popped open! Apparently for some reason I had absently locked the car before trying to gas up. Locked car = locked gas cap. Boy was my face red. 😳 Kris in Ohio
ReplyDeleteOh dear. I hope I never have a car with a locking gas cap!
DeleteI paid $800 to have a new fan put in my gas fireplace without checking to see that there was power to it. One of my grandsons turned a wall switch off and it was so far from the fireplace that I didn't think it was connected. To be fair, the fireplace repair people didn't check either! I felt very stupid...and poor.
ReplyDeleteOuch. This made me feel better Margaret!
DeleteOh, this made me laugh! Been there too, just too busy to think straight.
ReplyDeleteYou are taking so much goidness with you to your son. Safe travels!
I knew you wrote about your wrong day pick up just to make me feel better about myself!
DeleteI refuse to laugh at your (relatable) gaffe, but I will always laugh at a well-deserved comeuppance for that expired cantaloupe.
ReplyDeleteThe expired cantaloupe is a new one, and it made me laugh. Today's stupid thing. I was in the shower when the water stopped. Turned out that a branch had fallen on a line and caught fire, which wound up setting the pole on fire. We have no power. So I went out and picked tomatoes and to take with me. My sister had some peppers for them so I scooted over there. Heading towards the garden, I said, the electric fence is off, right?
DeleteYeah. Along with every other electric thing, dummy!
When we were newlyweds, I ran my car out of gas in our driveway twice. The first time, my Mr Fix-it nearly took the car apart. The 2nd time, he checked the gas gauge. It's never happened again in the following 53 years!
ReplyDeleteMy husband had the tendency to run a car clear down to E. I hated that.
DeleteRegarding RFK and his search to "get to the bottom of Chemtrails", this clown has done a lot of really stupid stuff, but this may be the most hilarious yet. He really does need a lesson in Middle School science. Ms McGrath's explanation is a case in point. Only way contrails are gonna go away is to ground all jet aircraft that operate at high altitude, military, business, and airlines. Spoken as a former corporate pilot who has proudly left thousands of miles of contrails behind me over the years. Chuckle. :)
ReplyDeleteIt amazes me the number of conspiracy theories that have come out of a very simply explained phenomenon. But yes. Let's spend tax dollars on something stupid. Hell. We have money to burn.
DeleteWe keep an atlas in our car too.
ReplyDeleteWant to wear eye patches and go plunder someething?
DeletePartly because I don't drive very often, I sometimes forget to put the car in park when I use a rental. So I've been there, but I've usually realized it right away! (You would have too under normal circumstances, I'm sure.)
ReplyDeleteI keep trying to console myself with that thought, but I a really not sure I believe me!
DeleteI do not feel better about myself because that would mean I look down on you because of a simple mistake. I have also done the exact same thing myself. I am concerned about Janice. I hope your travels go well. If anyone is mean to you, at least you will tomatoes to throw at them. Or the sewing machine as a last resort.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie