Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Chickening Out

 Today was a getting it done day...except I didn't get it all done yet. I spent the day individually packing and vacuum sealing 120 lbs of chicken breast. The lesson of the day was 'cheap freezer bags might be cheaper BUT when you have old eyes, sealing them can be tricky and it slows you down.' 3 hours later, I finally finished. All of it is in the freezer. 80 lbs of it will go east with me next week, and 40 lbs of it is for our own use.

Buying in bulk like that allows me to get boneless, skinless organic chicken breast for $1.75 a pound, an unheard of price, so it makes it well worth my time though. After it goes in the freezer, I can transport it to my son and daughter's house safely. It stays frozen solid for the trip and is unloaded from the ice chest straight into their freezer. Compared to $4.99 a pound for chicken there, this is a very nice savings for them.

I hope to be able to take a bushel or two of tomatoes to them as well. I will go a day early to help her can them.

Anyways, that is today. I have tomatoes to do here and they won't get done if I keep sitting here.



I live his calm measured way of speaking. I believe that we will see him as president one day.



For a bit of silliness:

Something very great: I have a couple meetings tomorrow. We are setting out to recreate last year's very successful Christmas toy giveaway. We have a donation of a minimum thousand new toys. Mind-boggling to me. We have two storage places offering free storage. One place is actually accepting the donations for us, starting in November. This means we do not have to go there every time someone has a donation. 

What is incredible is that this is happening with very little effort from me. I don't know if you remember last year, but I posted an idea on a community helping hand site: 'We live in a poor area. At the same time, we have people going through their children's things to get rid of toys to make room for what Santa is bringing. What if we could get those toys collected and allow people who are struggling a chance to pick out toys for their kids for free?'

And boom! That idea took off. The YMCA offered their gym as a venue. Volunteers stepped up. We collected one day, gave away the next. Even though this was all pulled together in a matter of one month, we literally had thousands of toys to give away. 

The best part was that everyone there felt like they were in the middle of a miracle. I can tell you that it made my own holiday season.

Here we are, not even close to the holidays and the community is reaching out to do it again. I get a little thrill of excitement remembering what a community pulled together in a month and imagining what could happen with 3 months of lead in time.

This post took several sessions, but supper was made (BBQ chicken), those tomatoes were skinned and are in a pot simmering away with the appropriate spices This batch of tomatoes will become spaghetti sauce. The house smells great.

I even got the kitchen cleaned. I am on fire today!

PS: Thanks to DB Stewart.

63 comments:

  1. I've been worrying about your neighbors who were worried about the measles - did anyone get sick?

    Also I think I had a box of those same freezer bags - ended up putting duct tape on the closing seams because they would NOT stay shut.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one got sick at their house. Interestingly though. A family close by heard of someone in the community with measles. The went there to expose themselves intentionally. The husband actually got quite ill with breathing complications. They had a young baby. As far as I know, the child was not affected.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know - I've been wondering. When I was a little girl I was taken to play with a cousin who had "German measles" (believed to be linked with birth defects if contracted by a pregnant person)because it was to safer for girls to get them early. Always contrary, I didn't get sick.

      Ceci

      Delete
  2. I think people underestimate measles. Just because it's a "kid's disease" doesn't make it not deadly. Glad to hear the Amish family is doing well. I guess food is cheaper in PA, we are paying 8.99 a pound for skinless chicken, and it's not organic. Have a lovely trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so pleased that you are doing the toy giveaway again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A thousand toys, AC! From one donor! Incredible.

      Delete
  4. Volunteer stuff is very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have shivers! The Christmas Miracle, Part 2! How wonderful. I remember when you posted your idea, the initial positive response and then the whirlwind that turned into something as good as Santa could make himself! And that everyone is so looking forward to experiencing it again! All because Debby (that's you!) had a kind thought and put it out into the universe!!!!!
    And a pat on the back for the frozen chicken and the canning of tomato sauce. It's time that we are grabbing all our produce and trying to save as much as possible toward the winter. Have a great trip to your son and daughter's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the chicken did not get frozen until I got it all packaged. So many people so excited about this. Last year was SO stressful because I did not know what would happen. It all worked put so perfectly that this year, I am just excited. Plus I have a wonderful copartner. Between the two of us. I think we will have it all covered

      Delete
  6. So nice to read about the chicken breasts heading out (and the tomatoes simmering on the stove) and I did like that Pete Buttigieg meme very much. Oh I can't wait for those mid-terms... I pray for lots of smart voters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember The Christmas drive last year, it was exciting to even read about it, I can't even imagine what it is like to be a part of it. Do you take money donations also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have never had money donations, actually. I bought 6 things today for it. I also found 4 gifts for the Amish Christmas that I am pretty excited about.

      Delete
  8. Gosh, well done with freezing all that chicken breast, the tomato sauce and all your other plans too. I am still struggling with inflamed bits which make doing anything for long impossible. I wish that Trump's sidekicks would stop putting themselves and their jobs first and put the country first, as the man is clearly a fruit loop with some form of dementia. 1000 toys donated already. Amazing. See what you started!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you have been struggling. Tim is having a pretty bad time with his feet. I finally convinced him to give it a rest. My advice to you is the same. I have another pot of tomatoes going right now. They are just stewed with garlic, peppers, onions and basil. I will have another batch to do tomorrow. Those ones are for my son and daughter-in law when I go out.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful news about the Christmas toys donations and how well it is working for this year. It will make Christmas so special for so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the least of all, me and the enthusiastic woman who stepped right up to help.

      Delete
  10. Busy bee. I did not realise that women in America stored and canned so much food for the winter. A real eye opener. Lovely idea collecting all the toys that children have outgrown and passing them down to other children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, Thelma, I don't know how prevalent this is. A lot of people do, but I know an awful lot of women who do not. I didn't can when I was working. I froze stuff. Now that I am retired, I have gotten into dehydrating and canning as well as freezing.

      Delete
  11. I love a good community story and yours is great, a simple idea, helps everyone, parents around your town will be cheered to read it's happening again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted the information when I got home. People are very enthusiastic.

      Delete
  12. I was just thinking about your Christmas miracle a few days ago! I'm so glad it's going to happen again. You should be so proud of yourself for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, it gives the community a chance to be a part of something big and kind, and think it is important.

      Delete
  13. You got the ball rolling and now it has become a bigger ball with more involved. Good for you.
    That's a lot of chicken. You must have a huge freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have two freezers. They are both crammed right now, but a lot will be headed east next week.

      Delete
  14. I love the gunpowder meme.
    I remember your toy drive last year, stressful and successful. Is your area really that poor? There may be poor people but your state doesn't sound poor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13% of school kids live poverty here. Even more are living in households that struggle. So many kids qualify for free lunch here that the schools discontinued payment. Everyone gets free lunch. The thing is that many folks may be above the poverty level, you have many people barely making ends meet. Honestly, Tim and I used to be those people.

      Delete
  15. What a productive day, packing 120 pounds of chicken is quite the accomplishment, and what a great deal for your kids! But the story about the community toy giveaway really touched me, it's wonderful how such a small idea ended up helping so many people, and that you're doing it again with even more lead time this year. Enjoy that spaghetti sauce, it sounds like your house must smell amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, it can be duplicated virtually anywhere. The spaghetti sauce was great. I have another pot of tomatoes going. My sister canned 70 pints of ketchup today. She has all the stewed tomatoes she needs for the year. She said she doesn't want to look at another tomato for a while.

      Delete
  16. You're a hard working woman and you can get very cheap chicken. Non-organic chicken here is $9/lb. When it's on sale I buy more and freeze it.

    Well done on the toy drive. It allows people to do something good for someone else, the best gift.

    And the bath bombs? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I think I an working hard, I look around and find someone who makes me look like a slacker!

      Delete
  17. It's great to hear happy news of people working together for the good of others. Thanks, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need to feel like we are part of something good! Especially now.

      Delete
  18. Your idea for gathering the toys was a great one. How wonderful that it was successful and your community will do it again. I want President Pete, too. Good for you, accomplishing so much.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am suitably impressed! Well done you - and well done to your community for leaning in to a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the part I love...that everyone else is so excited!

      Delete
  20. Well done on toys and chicken and demonstrations and everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chicken breasts, not organic, on sale at $4.99 this week in Toronto. How about asking local supermarkets for donations of grocery gift cards to give to the really needy single mothers. I was hoping Pete would run for president. Women love him but American men, not all of them, seem to be so afraid of gay men. You seem to be all ready for the bad times to come. At least you will eat well. Did Tigger come back yet. Maybe he got locked in somewhere. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people have suggested we had clothes and the like. I am purposely keeping the scope of this narrow. Our community has people going through their kids' toys. At the same time there are people who would love to be able to have those toys for their own children's Christmas. There are other agencies (multiple) giving away holiday gift baskets and gift cards. There are thrift stores where clothing can be bought very inexpensively. (I bought a Michael Kors boys coat for 50 cents last month. Perfect condition. I never knew he made kids clothes). Adding clothes requires inspection, washing, sizing. There are other places doing this. Our idea is to allow parents to come, look and pick out toys for their children. Other agencies offer toys, but make the selections themselves. We do it differently.

      Delete
  22. Ps: the chicken breasts are sold directly from the processor. No middle man. They deliver to a local meat shop here. If I bought them from the meat store, the price would be higher. To buy directly, they need a minimum 120 lb order. Do you have access to a wholesaler?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Buttigieg has impressed me every time I've seen him speak (on TV), and I too thought he'd be president one day, and hope he will. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will trigger some, I imagine but he has that same calm sensible manner of speaking as Obama does.

      Delete
  24. Debby, could you please bag and seal some of your energy and send it along to me? I’ll spring for postage!
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're so energetic and focused. Chicken, to store toys, you're indefatigable. I'm glad the toy logistics have been simplified this year, that's a great help. And yes, stay with your focus, toys, just toys. That's probably why it's working, it's simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trick is to do what isn't being done by someone else.

      Delete
  26. It is sad that we don't have proper larders and stock them well any more..but thankfully more are getting back to it...and starting out on it!
    Good news on the toy front xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pantry has spilled over to two freezers and a shelf of canned goods in the basement. I have always kept a bit of a stock pile for weather emergencies, but I do have to say that we have gotten a bit beyond that at this point.it is one of those things that people do in uncertain days.

      Delete
  27. I don't know what I did to deserve your thanks but thank you is one of my favourite sentences, so I will take it and tell you this: your resilience, ingenuity, and hopefulness inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...Richard E and Odduz could not be responding to the likes of me. You made good points.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, but honestly, I only skimmed the long one...as soon as the tone felt patronizing and superior, I thought nope....

      Delete
  28. That's a fantastic price for the chicken. Gregg and I were just talking about stocking up the freezer and pantry (more than we do already) because with fuel prices climbing like they are, this winter is likely to be a rough one for prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite honestly, Jennifer, we have about 6 months of food. Not intentionally. It is a combination of frozen, canned and dehydrated, and shelf stable stuff. Once hunting season is over, we will be good for a year.

      Delete
  29. Busy times at your house! I would love to get chicken for that price, amazing.
    You definitely were on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's so great that the toy swap has taken on a life of its own. I hope that means it will continue for years and years, independent of any single individual.

    ReplyDelete
  31. First time reading your blog and there you go and mention Pete Buttigieg for president .. instantly makes me a lifelong follower! Yes, definitely Obama's brother from another mother! Could America be ready for him? Hope springs eternal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm not Anonymous, just forgot to hit the correct #@$%! button again!

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Jabblog!

 I want to thank Bex for word on Janice. You can read her post here.  https://river-driftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ Look for the October 3...