The rest of it just went into a pot and after cooking down, I used my immersion blender to give a quick whisk. VĂ²ila! 12 pints of tomato sauce.
Tim made a great discovery over the weekend. He stopped in at Albert-Down-The-Road's perpetual garage sale. There was a newish upright freezer for $150. We have a chest freezer that is probably 35 years old that runs perfectly, but it is inconvenient to dig through, and sometimes things get lost, requiring prolonged digging through frozen stuffs while standing on my head..
We will use the upright for meat storage and the chest for vegetables. In the great sorting, we think we have come up with the perfect organizational system: large Aldi shopping bags! We used crates but the plastic did not stand up to the cold.
The most exciting thing? Today I am picking up six chickens.
I have a nice picture but blogger is not 'taking' it.

Moronic for sure.
ReplyDeleteYeah...
DeleteI assume these are living chickens you're picking up to keep in a coop, as opposed to eating chickens for your freezer...?
ReplyDeleteLive. I am nervous about the cats, but the seem to have good instincts. They flock together and set up a noisy fuss. The cats run.
DeleteI have that problem with photos and blogger too sometimes. It won't load videos at all for me.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the chickens. Daughter near by has 16-17 some of which are roosters that granddaughter #1 refuses to part with.
Six is 4 more than I actually wanted, but they are friendly.
DeleteIt will be exciting having chickens round the place. Hopefully not because of predators.
ReplyDeleteThey have good instincts. If they get scared, the run for the coop. We put up a temporary run for th because they are 3 month old, but it is my hope to free range them and coop them at night.
DeleteThat's a great video (love her voice!) but this deranged despot has still got me depressed as hell. I loved reading about your maters Debby, growing up on our family farm we did all our canning and jelly making and tomato saucing every August. Hot sweaty work and I miss every minute of it.
ReplyDeleteThere is just something about it that makes feel optimistic.
DeleteGood for you with the tomatoes! It has now begun! And we have several garage freezers too. One has entire ducks in them. I mean, feathers and all. Future taxidermy projects? I don't even ask.
ReplyDeletePlease tell your new ladies hello from me. Just the thought of that cheers me up.
We had a squirrel for quite a while. I get it.
DeleteLove the chooks - what breed are they? Very sophisitcated. Mum and Dad have moved into "the Resort" but they let him keep his chickens there.
ReplyDeleteI do not know. I will snap a few pictures for my niece and get back to you. Two are silkies, I think.
DeleteThe Marsh family have beautiful voices. They do satire so well.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear more about your chickens. The more I learn about chickens, the more I wish I could keep them.
So far, these seem very sociable, especially the two speckled ones.
Deleteyes..moronic.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen the latest cartoon video about the Lake Ontario sign?
There are so many. Can you send me a link?
DeleteDemonflyingfox is on fb
DeleteI used to want chickens, but it's never been feasible given all the rescues we've taken in.
ReplyDeleteI would be a liar if I said I wasn't worried. Last time a cat broke in. This time, though, the chickens are much older.
DeleteGreat job on the tomatoes!!! No one around here has decent tomatoes. We are getting one or two a day - so tiny I can fit two in my hand. I did freeze 2-3 gallon bags of whole tomatoes to make sauce over the whole summer. It just isn't a tomato year here.
ReplyDeleteGreat deal on the upright. I started with a chest freezer twenty years ago and upgraded to an upright for the same reason. My oldest son took the chest and used it for several years, it moved to my middle son for several years. He is getting an upright for his new house and that chest freezer, still chugging, is moving to the oldest's house. I was almost thinking of taking it back to store more vegetables since I really don't trust any food source except my own. . . It's getting scary.
CHICKENS!
Thanks for reminding me of that, Miss Merry. I was amazed when you said that last year! I meant to try it and this year is a perfect year for it. I think those chest freezers last forever. I just need to learn how to organize stuff in them.
DeleteMy grandmother had a chest freeze that was huge, and she was very short. I always wondered how she got stuff of the bottom of it. Congratulations on more chickens.
ReplyDeleteIt is a pita for sure.
DeleteThe newer freezer will probably be more economical to run as well.
ReplyDeleteThe chickens will be fun, hopefully.
It is day 2, and we seem to be fine. They are fun.
DeleteOh good, it let me comment this time. I tried earlier and no luck. You will get to use your lovely chicken house now, the chickens will be stylin'.
ReplyDeleteYummy tomato sauce and pasta sauce coming up in your house this winter!
They seem to like it very much. At the first sign of trouble, they run for it in one big chicken cluster.
DeleteLoved the song. That Marsh family is so clever and talented too.
ReplyDeleteIt was very clever. And they harmonize beautifully.
DeleteMy daughter has a 40 year old freezer that still works. My son-in-law wanted to buy another one, but my daughter refused. It’s a freezer we bought when we lived there 20 years ago. New appliances don’t survive long these days. Sigh…
ReplyDeleteYou know, they did. My parents had appliances that lasted all through our childhoods and well into our adulthood. The first fridge they ever bought in the 50s was replaced as excited grandchildren watched.
DeleteWhen we sold our house many years ago, all the old appliances still worked fine including my ancient chest freezer. The buyers were stretched buying the house and were thrilled that good appliances came with.
ReplyDelete...and they might even be running still!
DeleteYay for freezers! So glad you've got that storage to help you have your bounty for the future meals. Chickens do look lovely!
ReplyDeleteThey really are cute.
DeleteAww, chickens. They will amuse the cats!
ReplyDeleteWell, so far they have given two of the five coronaries by squawking loudly and flapping their wings. The cats run for their lives.
DeleteLove the Marsh Family. Congratulations on the chicken additions to your family. We can't have you standing with your head in the chest freezer. What if you passed out and ended up inside of it? We wouldn't know where you had gone! lol
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
That was so well done, wasn't it? Not just the words, but the performance as well. The harmonies were great.
DeleteI obviously approve of this parody song, but tbh, I bet Alanis Morrissette would also approve (or perhaps she's involved, ha).
ReplyDeleteI am going to bet that they had get permission to use her music, and I am going to also bet she was completely on board with the parody.
DeleteThe speckled ones might be Marans. We had Silkies. Then because you always ended up with too many cockerels (until in the pot), we ended up with a Silkie cross - looked like Light SUssex. Gosh that was evil! Enjoy your fresh eggs.
ReplyDeleteGreat bargain with the freezer. I have to say, my new fridge-freezer is SO much better than my elderly one which had been limping on for a while, if I am honest.
If I had to guess. I would say the speckled ones are Plymouth Rocks. I am completely mystified by the black ones with the black beaks, maybe Australorps? My niece is the authority.
ReplyDeleteShe says the speckled ones are Barred Plymouth Rocks and the solid black ones with black combs, feet, and beaks are called Ayem Cemanis. Jury still out on the ones with feathered feet, white pinion feathers and white throat.
DeleteBy the way, I love the video and passing it on to my teacher buddies here in Illinois. I just can’t understand people who actually voted for that guy with small hands who keeps trying to act big.
ReplyDelete