Friday, July 24, 2026

My Space

I have been hard at work clearing the little flower bed by the greenhouse, and I did get that done. It was a tangle of brambles. shrubs, weeds and some vines tying it all together. 

Then I was inspired to clear all the growth back from my greenhouse.

Thrilled with the results of that hard work, I decided to pull out all the ductwork and the furnace Tim stuck in my greenhouse a couple years back. That poor green house was floor to rafter.

(This situation was only temporary.)

Did you know a furnace weighs 250 pounds? And that hornets build nests in them when they sit for a couple years? Just two things I learned about furnaces.

So I hauled it all to Tim's garage, about 30 yards away. 

(It is only temporary.)


And it looked so very nice once I was able to get inside. So I got a broom, a bucket of soapy water, and some window cleaner. 



 


You know what is missing? Plants. 

My project right now will be propagating. Later on, seed collection. Next year, the goal will be a small heater so that I can start my plants out there. We already have one in the garage waiting.

37 comments:

  1. Wait, how did you move that furnace if it weighed 250 lbs and was full of hornets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'walked it' out of the green house. There suddenly was a hornet. And then another, etc. In the excitement the furnace was dropped on its side. The hornet nest fell out of the top of the furnace from the force of the impact. I prudently decided a break was in order. After a while, I just went to the garage and got a dolly. It took me six separate attempts to move it the 30 yards into the garage.

      Delete
    2. just what my kids call "mumpower"...but take care!!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I was very careful. I pulled it just a few feet at a time.

      Delete
  2. Love it! It’s such a nice song space. I would add a good chair and a little table
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. The workbench has a small step stool I can sit on tucked beneath it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be in good shape. Do you have a marathon planned? Or maybe the Appalachian Trail in record-breaking time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am slow and steady and when my mind is made up, I have superpowers. But if you ever see me running, you need to be running too. The good news? I am generally the slowest, so, whatever is chasing us will get me first.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful space! I know you must be so happy to have done that hard work and get this result.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, the classic 'temporary' garage overflow! 😆 Dragging a 250lb furnace is no joke, but getting your greenhouse back makes all that sweat (and dodging hornets) worth it. Can't wait to see it filled with all your newly propagated plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO much funnier than the classic 'temporary' greenhouse over flow, trust me.

      Delete
  7. Number one small greenhouse in your state, well it will be once heated and has plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always so amazed at your energy, Debby. It will be fun to see what you'll be growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I took some columbine seeds that I collected last year and planted a seed tray. It will also be a dandy place for drying herbs.

      Delete
  9. a well deserved sense. of achievement is allowed !xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearly busted my arm patting myself on the back!

      Delete
  10. That greenhouse is good enough to live in. Your own Tiny House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice space but it is pretty warm in there, even with open windows.

      Delete
  11. Jealous! A greenhouse here is in my hopes, especially since spring here is so cold and our yard is unbelievably windy (about 5 wind tunnels) and fall frosts come early. I could also use some of your energy and ambition too. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very sturdy building and the best part? It is made from reclaimed left over building supplies from other projects. The floor is a chunk of left over deck from the previous owners. The lumber was left over from Tim's garage, the window in the back from our old house, the poly carbonate panels left over from a friend's greenhouse and sold at a yard sale. Seriously, the whole project was less than a couple hundred out of pocket.

      Delete
  12. That greenhouse is beautiful but I would be tempted to turn it into a pottery studio. It looks so peaceful with lots of windows and wooden floors. I would just want to sit out there.
    Tim's stuff tends to spread out, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. V-e-r-y nice she shed!!! Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Be still my heart! What a welcoming, bright space (now that the hornet furnace is out. Wow!). It may be warm now, but spring and fall - oooooooh!
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A polycarbonate roof lets in quite a bit of light. It is a cheerful place. I have started working on a Christmas gift.

      Delete
  15. Well that lead to some changes .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your greenhouse is fabulous!!! Your weather must be less humid with all this outdoor activity. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh yes. 70s and low 80s and much, much less humid. We haven't had to run the air conditioner for days. We screened the basement door and that air flow has made the house much cooler. The air circulates through the cooler basement and up the stairs.

      Delete
  17. You are amazing, woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is amazing how much you can get done when the air outside doesn't seem like a blast furnace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great space! I would LOVE a greenhouse. Sadly, since we rent, I'm not about to build one unless the landlord wants to pay for it. (Doubtful.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great! I can't wait to see it filled with plants.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Fair

 The fair has been an interesting experience. I went there expecting to change no MAGA minds, but what I notice is that they are loudest whe...