They lived in the heated garage over the winter but as the weather warmed, they spent more time outside. When I am doing outside work, they are stretched beside me, and when I pet them, they purr contentedly
Tiger Kitty went awol for about a week. I had just about given up hope when he reappeared, thin, nervous and hungry. I was so glad to see him and for once, he seemed very glad to see me, as opposed to his normal 'Meh...she doesn't seem like a bad sort' demeanor.
Much to my surprise, he darted inside as soon as I opened the door to get some catfood. I fed him inside, to see what he would do. He ate and disappeared. In the morning, he was waiting at the door to go out.
At night, he darts back inside. I am not sure where he hides away. I think he is afraid of something outside at night. But except for one small overturned plant, he behaves perfectly.
I would rather have them in at night, really. Possum is still not interested in the great indoors. If she comes in, she has had her fill after a couple minutes and heads for the door.
I have no idea what is out there, but we have made two escape places for her to hide.
Bears
ReplyDeleteThat does sound likely
DeleteI kind of don't think that. If a hungry bear was around, I would expect to see him in the garbage or the composter or even the garden. Black bear are by nature pretty lazy. They also have very poor vision. a cat could easily dart out of sight.
DeleteI am thinking that the most likely culprit is another feral cat. A coyote or a fox would give quite a chase, although if a cat ran up a tree they would be safe. It seems like that would be their first instinct. It would not be a happy thought to have one prowling so close to the house. Maybe a raccoon. Some sort of weasel maybe.
Cats do what they do and no one knows why, or at least most of us don’t.
ReplyDeleteThey sure don't do a lot of talking. They both are giving wide berth to the garage though.
DeleteI find cats endlessly fascinating.
ReplyDeleteWant a couple?
DeleteCats do as they please, always. I'm glad Tiger Kitty has you watching his back.
ReplyDeleteWell, they are here, and I feel some responsibility.
DeleteThe company of a cat is magical.
ReplyDeleteI love to watch an animal making a decision to trust you. There is something very moving about that. I was looking into a stray dog's eyes once, and I saw it happen. He was the best dog I ever had.
DeleteSounds like Tiger Kitty had a bad experience somewhere. I hope he takes heed in the future. For now he seems grateful for the food and safety with you.
ReplyDeleteHe was gone for nearly a week. I called and called. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him on the porch. He is staying close to the house and he darts inside at night.
DeleteI'm sure she appreciates the retreat!
ReplyDeleteThe ferals are small lithe cats. I hope that whatever has them afraid will be unable to access the safe places.
DeleteAt least they can trust on you for a bolt hole!
ReplyDeleteHopefully, Possum (the cat) understands its purpose.
DeleteClearly there's some critter out there that's got he spooked. Good for you for providing her a safe haven.
ReplyDeleteI would love to know what it is for sure, but it is interesting that they start getting nervous at dusk.
DeleteIt’s endlessly fascinating reading your cat stories.
ReplyDeleteEvery animal has there own story, don't they?
DeleteMy grandson just got himself a Siamese street cat in Mexico..He took it to a Vet for a check up and to get rid of all the fleas. He sent a photo of the cat on his lap while he is working on his computer. It looks very happy there so I don’t know how he will find it a home. I would like to take it but I think I am too old. He is coming back here in a month so maybe he will still have Carlita. My other daughter just sent a video of a bear climbing her tree to get at the food in her bird feeder. The bear sometimes sits on her porch. Glad your cat came back. Gigi
ReplyDeleteThey do love a bird feeder. And a garbage can. And a compost pile. Seriously though, they really have not been a problem here. They just seem to be ambling through.
DeleteThanks for being their friend. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteThe stinkers know a sucker when they see one.
DeleteThey are so lucky to have you looking after their best interests. Thanks to you and others like you, they have been saved a life of constant reproduction adding to the population of feral cats.We never really know the secret life of cats which choose to come and go.
ReplyDeleteT was a bit frustrating to get them neutered 2 x 2 only to have them disappear on me. But they are neutered now. All of them.
DeleteTiger Kitty returning home after a whole week away must have been such a relief. Watching a feral cat slowly choose indoor life is truly special. Whatever gave him a scare out there clearly made him appreciate your safety. Glad Possum has those hidden escape spots set up outside too.
ReplyDeleteI really worry about what has them worried!
ReplyDelete