My favorite Garrison Keillor.
This might be the year my own garden gets ahead of me.
I planted San Marzaos, Beefsteak and cherry tomatoes. Then my sister had some extra romas looking for a home.
I do love tomatoes.
I have 24 plants, and they are huge. Tim had to enclose them and run cross members to keep them from repeatedly falling over. I wired the cages to the boards. (Funny part? He is not a fan of to.atoes, although he does love tomato sauce.)
I am hopeful that once I am back from my son's house, I will see them showing signs of turning red. I can't wait.
One of my distressed delphinium put out the most beautiful bloom.
I will see you when I get back.





Enjoy yourself.
ReplyDeleteI used to love listening to tales from Lake Wobegon - he had such a lovely voice.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your time away.
All is well with your garden.
ReplyDeleteI love your abundant garden! Not so much the abuser K. though.
ReplyDeleteNo such thing as too many tomatoes!
ReplyDeleteWell...
I remember one year when my husband's father grew tomatoes and he kept bringing me bushels of them. I was canning them, making salsa, making tomato sauce, making ketchup (very good, by the way) and all the tomato things. My kitchen was a processing plant. I finally told him that if he brought me one more tomato I was going to ban him from the house!
24 tomato plants! You'll be busy but happy I'm sure. Have a wonderful trip and visit.
ReplyDeleteI love that video ... what a hoot!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your trip and gear up for your own tomato 🍅 season!
24 tomato plants?! Debby, you’re going to be swimming in tomatoes when you get back! 🍅 That’s so sweet of Tim to build those heavy-duty wooden frames for them, even if he only eats tomatoes in sauce form! Good luck keeping up with the harvest, and have a wonderful time visiting your son!
ReplyDeleteSo many things to do with tomatoes. I used to freeze them whole and when they start to thaw the skin slips right of them like when you scald them. It saves a lot of time and then I could make whatever on those long winter days in Ohio. Be careful and have a great trip, get lots of hugs although there is never enough when you get home and start remembering the wonderful trip.
ReplyDeleteTwenty-four plants across San Marzano, beefsteak, cherry and Roma varieties should make the ripening period interesting, because each type will be useful for something different rather than producing one identical glut. Tim's cross-members plus wiring the cages to the boards sounds like a much stronger solution than relying on individual tomato cages once the plants are carrying fruit. The contrast between all that tomato support and the single delphinium bloom is a nice reminder that a garden can be abundant and delicate at the same time.
ReplyDeleteThat's a lot of tomato plants, should be interesting by the time you return. Safe travels.
ReplyDeleteTwenty four tomato plants?! Holy cow!
ReplyDeleteYou certainly know how to grow tomatoes.IT WILL BE A WHILE BEFORE MINE RIPEN.
ReplyDeleteYour tomatoes look like mine - green. I feel like you do, when they turn red (and I know they will all turn red the same day, lol) we are going to be busy!!
ReplyDeleteWhoowee! Big ol' plants!
ReplyDeleteWe are letting our beans go to seed now, and pulling up some things. We are overloaded, and don't need to put up anything else, except grape juice and applesauce.
I used to.look forward to listening to those talks on the radio!
ReplyDeleteI have tomato envy (and garden assistant envy!!)
Have a good tripx
Beautiful! Both the tomatoes and the distressed delphinium! Hope you are enjoying your time with family.
ReplyDeleteThe garden update is enjoyable because the notes connect the individual plants with the changing rhythm of the season. A short before-and-after sequence for the beds would make the progress even easier to follow for readers planning their own garden.
ReplyDelete