It is not a professional Northsider Dave wall, and it is not complete. This started out as a 'junk bed' that I knew I meant to be a flower bed one day. Probably a couple years of dumping distressed clearance plants. Two forsythia, a hyacinth, an azalea, two lilacs, some lilies, spider wort, dianthus. Delphinium, coneflower, bee balm. I planted blue morning glries to climb a trellis. I have columbine seeds sprouting. An assortment of wild flowers outside the wall surrounding an old wheelbarrow full of annuals Mattie gave me.
For all of that, it looks pretty sparse, doesn't it? Poor thing has been run over with heavy equipment over and over. It's been trampled. Mowed over. That is kind of why I put the little wall there: to provide a visual for the man. Much more aesthetic than a sign that says "Stay the hell out!"
Anyway, the stuff that remains has shown that it has what it takes to be in my garden. Hopefully, after 20 bags of mulch, everything will begin to spread out and fill in.
The funny part is how pleased Tim is. After I put out 10 bags of mulch, it was his suggestion to buy 20 more bags. When I was done, he cast a critical eye and suggested we probably need to go out today and get at least five more bags. It is nice to have him on board.
We had quite a bit of rain yesterday, which has knocked a lot of the smoke down. We must have had some pretty strong winds. It laid down 24 tomatoes in cages. Today will be reconstruction there, along with hauling up more rock.
The protest was small. The air quality is quite a concern. An irony I have noticed is a lot of people ranting about Canada's culpability are angrily puffing their vapes or cigarettes as they bitch. Remember 'cognitive dissonance'? JD talked a lot about that in his book before he became the poster child for it.
And this sums up MAGA. Their motto is "I am sure there is a scapegoat around here somewhere."
You know, as it gets closer to midterms, expect the noise and misinformation to increase. If ever was a time to hold steady and not give way to despair and hopelessness. What is happening is NOT sustainable. It will fall. How quickly it falls depends a great deal on us.
(Well...that an the dying out of unreasonable minds and corruption of those who hold power.)
We can stonewall them.



We filled out the ballots yesterday, today we'll put them in the drop box. Washington does have vote by mail, but I no longer trust USPS with anything important. There's a drop box across from where we grocery shop, so it's not an odyssey. Your rock wall is very attractive, good job.
ReplyDeleteI think the very same. I will vote in person for that very reason. I can't believe we are here...but here we are.
DeleteEchoing Allison's statement on the wall, it looks really good, well done. Let us not forget this other common "MAGAism" "What are we outraged about today?"
ReplyDelete*sigh* as ever, Jim, you are spot on
DeleteGood entries. That's a fightin' garden plot! Ever since 47 put his friend in as P.O. head, who changed all the machines to his company's machines, I haven't trusted the P.O. They don't even trust themselves and moved many drop boxes inside! I'm voting early in person. I've used the voter office drop boxes before. This year, they're at every library too. I hope this bs will fall soon. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteMAGA is pulling out all the stops, for sure. I am really encouraged by Ohio, though.
DeleteWhen it took over a month to get my mailed check from Michigan to Texas to pay my premium for the long-term care insurance I have been paying on for 25 years, I no longer trust the USPS to handle anything important for me. Luckily the agent contacted me that the check had not been received and I was able to take care of it before cancellation. I knew as soon as tRump appointed his own guy for the USPS job there would be trouble.
ReplyDeleteI use the local dropbox and track my ballot, to be sure. And they send me a card of acknowledgement with an I voted sticker to peel off.
ReplyDeleteI hope your side and democracy wins.
ReplyDeleteYour little garden wall looks great, and built with purpose.
ReplyDeleteI find it disturbing that some Democrats vote for bad Republican policies. I can't imagine why.
The little garden that could!!! We have a few bushes that weathered those storms. I always figured they had spent their time growing some pretty substantial roots so that once they got their change they could go! Glad your husband is on board with them and your wall is terrific!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are practicing what you preach every Saturday - so proud of you. I am disappointed in myself that I can't hang out on street corners much anymore. This week I struggled from my car to buildings and back and wore a mask. GD him. (I blame him for it all).
I think your wall looks great, but that seems like an absolute ton of mulch. How thick is it? We don’t use that many bags to cover our yards, which admittedly are not huge. How far down will you have to go to reach soil if you want to plant anything else?
ReplyDeleteApart from your wall and plantings, all a bit deep for a brain which got half-cooked yesterday and is still recovering from Much Driving :) I have managed to escape the term cognitive dissonance my entire life until now (had to go look it up!!)
ReplyDeletestand firm, just like your wall!
ReplyDeleteI miss Northsider Dave's blogging