Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Getting Down With Our Bad Selves.

 Tim and I stopped into Lowe's to look for coordinating tile for the bathroom. The $10 bathroom floor turned out to be short 6 tiles. We did not find matching tile, so we began to look at coordinating tiles to do the border that Ed and Ellen D suggested.

But...

Then we got side-tracked. Tim saw some porcelain tiles that he thought would look good for the tub/shower surround and they were nice. Very high gloss, with the slightest of gray veining running through them, like marble. They were marked down to an unbelievable $8. a box. They were designed for floor OR wall use, and we pondered using them for the floor, because the sandstone 'tan' colored tile that we already had wouldn't match.  I worried about whether or not the tiles would be a hazard when wet. Tim was still calculating on his phone when I walked around the corner. They had floor tile, 12 x 12, but they were a perfect match for the stuff Tim wanted around the bathtub. Also on clearance, marked down to 61 cents a tile. 

"There we go," Tim said. 

I thought on it. "We could use the other tile in the pantry. It would be more than enough for that." 

And just like that, our problem was solved. We got a hand cart and loaded up five boxes of tile for the surround and 3 boxes of floor tile, which, all in, cost $93. So far, our bathroom has cost us just under $600. The only thing left to buy are the shower and tub fixtures. We have everything else. 

That's when we made our mistake. We just wanted to price stackable washer/dryer sets. That's all. Just look...


Now, what makes this set special is that the controls for the dryer (which is always on top) are in the center of the unit. In all the other sets we looked at, the dryer sits on top, and the controls are above the door, like any normal dryer controls. The problem is that, when the units are stacked, I could barely reach the controls. Additionally, I would not be able to see them without a step stool. So, I really liked this set up for that one reason. So did Tim. There were four color choices. I liked the red. Tim did not, but he let me win that one. Maybe with brightly colored appliances, laundry will be more fun. Like a party, maybe. What do you think? Stay tuned. I'll let you know. 

Like I said, we were just looking. We had no intentions on buying. But, damn if there was not a sale. $500 off, but they had to be purchased by May 8th. The decision was made to buy them.

While we were waiting. I happened to notice a refrigerator. 

It was marked down from $1300 to $608. When that happens, you're looking for damage. I looked it over and found it: a scratch down at the bottom. What I liked about this fridge was that it was a plain. No digital displays, no smart features. Just your basic, large, side by side with an ice and water dispenser in the door. Stainless steel and black. Easy to match the other appliances to down the road. 

What could I do? 

I called Tim over, and he looked it over. I said, "It's got a scratch, but it is so small..." 
"Does it?" he said, surprised.
I pointed it out.
"I didn't even notice," he said.

So. He walked back over to the woman entering our washer and dryer sale into the computer and said, "Hey, when you get done there, can you add that fridge in?" 

Yeesh.

We walked out of there feeling like two very naughty children. 

Two very excited naughty children.

39 comments:

  1. I love a bargain especially it is something you really need. Love the red washer set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is like being in a toyshop, the pair of you. Hope everything fits well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the one thing that we know for dead certain. The wash tower is narrower that the traditional stackables and will leave enough room in the cubby for a narrow shelf for laundry necessaries. The fridge is no problem.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like the perfect shopping trip. I love the red washer-dryer combination and what a sensible idea, to have the controls placed centrally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is something that I honestly never even gave a thought to until we were began looking at the units. It was the first thing that I noticed, that I was too short to see the dryer controls.

      Delete
  4. Oh that is sooo my kind of shopping trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've never done such a thing in our lives. Not for ourselves. For a rental, yes.

      Delete
  5. I want to make a pun something like how Lowe can you go, but it doesn't seem to work. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'How Low will Lowe's go' they go is more like it.

      Delete
  6. I call it perfect alignment! Right time, right place, right stuff, right price! And you must pounce on it, lest you miss out! My Hubs and I operate the same way. LOVE LOVE the stackables, and the controls in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really are not ready for appliances yet, but the fridge is on wheels and we'll put the washtower on a dolly and move them as we need to.

      Delete
  7. Well, at least it's not burning a hole - and with those savings you can dream how to spend the leftovers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We budget carefully. We know how much we can spend on the house. We didn't need a lot of building supplies this month, so we spent the money elsewhere, I guess.

      Delete
  8. Ooooh boy, expensive stop! But worth it. I would love to have a red washer! The pieces are coming together for you. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gleaming metallic red. I think that it is pretty sharp.

      Delete
  9. I understand how older people can be excited by such great bargains. Unless my memory is defective, your laundry appliances will be behind closed doors anyway. It was a bargains galore day for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try very hard not be troubled by your 'older people' comment. Your memory is not defective. There will be doors.

      Delete
  10. It's great that you find such good bargains, Debby. My sister has a stacking washer and dryer and she loves them. Much more room in her laundry room now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we knew that ours were going to have to stack. Tim did NOT want them in the basement, and it is a small house. This is the only real solution.

      Delete
  11. Yes! It WILL be a party to do the laundry! A veritable Fiesta of laundry-doing! I would love a red washer and dryer.
    The god of bargains was looking down on you yesterday!
    And I always look for scratch and dent appliances. They're going to get scratched and dented anyway over the years so who cares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that - a veritable fiesta! Whoot!

      Really, that's kind of the way we look at appliance shopping. The wierd thing though, is sometimes these scratch and dent appliances are so minorly damaged that it almost is ridiculous. We once bought a washer for my daughter. It was supposedly damaged, but we never did find the damage. Even the cashier was intrigued.

      Delete
  12. Jeez! You and Tim are good at spending money. However, within this shopping tale there is a strong vein of admirable frugality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home construction is not for the weak of heart.

      Delete
  13. It is amazing how fast money goes during a remodel/new build project when you often times don't have the luxury of waiting for sales. It looks like your timing is perfect.

    I hope your LG appliance treats you well. I've gotten burned twice by LG where a repair part is needed but not stocked in the U.S. so there is a three month waiting period for it to arrive. As a result, I have sworn off LG for the rest of my life. I'm down to just the refrigerator now and when it craps out, it will be replaced by something made domestically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate, I guess. That has not been our experience. We used quite a few in the rentals, mostly washers and dryers. I can't remember any of them having issues (knock wood). We have backups in the basement of one of the houses, but haven't had to use any of them. Surprisingly, the only brand we had problems with was Maytag. We decided that the Maytag repairman could not possibly be the loneliest person in town.

      Delete
    2. My LG were refrigerators so perhaps the difference lies in the type of appliance.

      Maytag repairman... hah!

      Delete
  14. Not naughty at all, thrifty. You need to gather bargains when they show up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When you find a great sale, you simply have to jump on it!
    How is your deal with the City going? Are you going to get reimbursed or are you still working on getting that done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We know that it will need to be done before it is all said and done. Best to bite the bullet and get it while it is on a deal.

      Delete
    2. The deal with the city is ongoing. So far they have simply chosen to ignore us which is frustrating.

      Delete
  16. Definitely red makes life better! My new to me microwave is red, and it just brightens up the kitchen so well compared to stainless and white other appliances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My small appliances in the kitchen used to be all red. It gave a nice 50s vibe to my yellow kitchen.

      Delete
  17. How nice to read how every day, your new house gets more “real.”
    Good for you both!
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is getting real. We've almost got the basement insulated. After that, we will need to in put two outside receptacles and a light box. After that is inspected, it will be time to get the electric actually hooked up. To be honest, before we reached this point, we were in uncharted territory, never having built a house from scratch before. Now, we are doing the work we've done a hundred times before, the rehab stuff. The first thing that I want to focus on is getting the bathroom in. We can fan out from there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy colors in the laundry room is the way to go. I have a white set but painted the walls a bright peachy pink. Now I love my laundry room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have a cheerful laundry cubby.😌

      Delete
  20. Well done. I thought of mentioning making an island of the six unmatched tiles. Your solution is better.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Weird.

I cut a piece of drywall, and I had some time to kill while waiting for Tim to be ready for it. I was flipping through facebook (yeah. I kno...