Saturday, May 4, 2024

A Tour of The House

 Tim woke up at o'dark-thirty this morning. I was vaguely aware of this, but it was ever so vaguely. He was meeting his son at 5:15 AM to go turkey hunting. It was his belated birthday present. His son has a job which allows him to be in the woods every day, and he takes advantage of his workday to look around. He's a keen hunter, so his job allows him to know exactly where he wants to hunt, and he and Tim were meeting this morning to go to a place where Mike had put some turkeys to bed. This means that he found turkeys and he waited for them to roost. When they did, he left knowing that if he and his father got back before light, the turkeys would be right where he left them. 

I woke up when Tim came back. He came walking into the bedroom. "How'd it go?" I asked, half-awake. "Great!" said Tim. "I got one." That was an eye opener. I got up and made my coffee. I had pictures to take. 



So Tim did his thing, and I cleared the sink and counter and got everything all santized and ready for him to bring his skinned, gutted bird inside to wash out and prepare for the freezer. 

We went out for lunch, and then headed down to the new build so that he could take the remains of his turkey to set out for the critters. Waste not, want not. Plenty of fox, coyotes, predatory birds, or even a bear might find our left overs a tasty snack. Tim walked them to the back of the lot where it butts up to the swamp, and where, incidently, he manages to get the damn tractor stuck every year. Twice this year. I didn't tell you about the second time because I was hopping mad at him. 


But. I digress. 

Who is that long legged fellow in the back ground? 


William. He's really sprouted this school year. 

You all wanted to see the house now that it is insulated. 

This is the living room. The scaffolding is set into what will be a tiny little office space for the computer. The window makes it seem bigger. The space is what would have been the landing for the basement stairs, but we turned the stairs around to go down the other way so that we could have that little space above the it for the office cubby. 


These are the stairs that caused us so much angst. Tim really struggled with them, and I'm not sure why. Levi and he sat down and talked it through. That's all it took for Tim to see it. 


This is what will be the kitchen. That little window will be above my kitchen sink. See the studs to what will be a wall to the left of that window? 


Behind that is my pantry. It is where the Hoosier cabinet will go, along with some metal wheeled food service shelving units. I wanted it to be small and easy to keep clean. It will also be the place where I store my brooms and mops and the like. Looking in this way, what would be directly behind you across the hallway is those basement steps. 


This is the bathroom. It is small, but it was designed that way. 
Right outside the bathroom door is another cubby which will hold a fullsize stackable washer and dryer, That was also intentional. The washer and dryer will be handy to the bedrooms and the bathroom, where the majority of the laundry needs to go anyway. That space is going to have special soundproofing. 



Two bedrooms come off the hall at the north end of the house. 


Here's the tile we got for $10. Turns out we are six tiles short to do the entire bathroom, but they are so 'generic' that I think we can match them up at Lowe's. We'll look at what they have in 18 inch tile the next time that we are there.  

And there you have your house tour. It is a small house. We paid very careful attention to things like door width (wide enough for wheel chairs and walkers) and for everything to be easy to keep clean. At this stage of the game, we can see it all coming together. We know how we want to arrange it. Once the insulation work receives its final inspection, we can begin installing walls and stuff like that. I think that things will really begin to move fast at that point. 


I did want AC to see something. This is an old picture, back when we were just beginning to install the windows. The house has 12 windows on the first floor. Because it is a new build, we simply cut out the holes and frame them in to fit the window. The four tiny windows we got (for an amazing $25 each clearanced out at Ace Hardware) will go side by side, two on each end of the peak to provide ventilation to the attic in the summer. We do pick up a lot of stuff when we see things on sale, but I guess what I need to make clear is that we know how we want things to be. We knew that we needed small windows and when we saw them stacked against the wall, you can believe we snatched them right up.  We watch sales very carefully because we are building this house without going into debt.

 We've really been accumulating stuff for years if you want to get right down to it. 
But there is a method to our madness. 
Truly!

So, there you have it. A tour of the house. There is not really anything to see yet. We are just the 'grunt' work done. When it will begin to become exciting is when the walls go up and the fixtures go in.

Late Edit for Linda: 


They do make compact apartment sized washers and dryers, but that is not what we are getting. We are getting stackable full sized appliances. I would hate to get by on compacts! 

44 comments:

  1. Turkeys! Adaptable critters, we live a a small gated community in a reasonably large city in Eastern Washington. 6-7 miles from downtown, with woods above us. We have wild turkeys walking through the neighborhood all the time, they really don't pay much attention to us. We have to be careful to keep the gates to our deck closed so they don't poop on it. Thanks for the house tour, it's all coming together. I'm so impressed that y'all designed and built it yourselves, I have nothing like that in my toolbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is such a small place. It's not like we're building a McMansion! Turkeys are such funny birds. I once watched a cat coming out of the woods with a very nervous look on his furry face, low to the ground. He kept stopping and looking behind him, and then he would resume that slow, low careful walk. I thought, "Something's behind him..." and it was. A parade of turkeys came out of the brush right behind him, all in a line. When the cat stopped, the turkeys would stop too, all of them craning their heads and trying to get a glimpse of that cat around the turkey in front of him. So funny.

      Delete
  2. So, William has already hopefully learned from Grandpa how to not get a tractor stuck. Nice for the man to clean and gut the turkey. Beautiful planning and features inside. Your "discussions" have turned into a really dandy place. Are you sure you want a stackable washer and dryer? Or maybe make room for a possbile traditional pair if needed in the future? I thought they were mostly for just a few light items at a time. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can buy full size stackables. I really would not like to be stuck with apartment sized appliances. I posted a picture for you in an edit.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you really planned and thought about your build. Now that we are past 65, we have been rehabbing our ranch to "age in place". A few years ago we replaced all interior doors with wider opening doors. We had parents in wheelchairs and it opened our eyes earlier to making homes more user friendly as time goes by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did. We spent a lot of time talking about it. I love our house but...it is just too big. It is just too much. I don't want to spend my golden years trying to keep up with a house. We are downsizing, which will probably make our kids happy, and I'll have a house that will be easily maintained which allows me a lot more time to do what I want. Me, me me! Sounds pretty pathetic doesn't it? But Tim also has a lot of reasons for wanting to be there as well.

      Delete
  4. I expect our sized washing machines would be your compact sized.
    I once ran out of kitchen floor tiles, they were small tiles generally used in the nineties and the new stove was soon to be fitted. I didn't tile under where the stove was to sit and managed to conceal it from Ray and once the stove was in, no one ever new except for the plumber who connected up the gas pipe. I think I may have done the same at a different house earlier with cork tiles but under the fridge. I was bad. Also at the first place I mentioned I ran out of paint when painting the corrugated iron roof. The roof was a horrible mustard colour which we hated, so it became green, except for the side of one valley that couldn't be seen from the ground. Ah, but it could be seen from the nearby elevated railway station platform and later on, Google Earth. He never noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they are like the ones in the UK, yes. Your washers would be considered 'compact'.

      LOL. Everyone here will keep your little secrets. No one will ever know...

      Delete
  5. William looks quite the young man now instead of a boy.
    The house is really coming along now. Looking forward to seeing more photos.
    Your turkey story reminded me of our visit to friends in Queensland many years ago. They had bush turkeys running around wild around their property and P asked if they were good to eat. Our friend said, just put them in a pot with a large stone and boil it. When the stone is soft the turkey is ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That story will give Tim a laugh. I'll have to tell him!

      Delete
  6. Good to meet you William 🙂

    Thankyou for the tour.. isn't a relief when you see it taking shape...and good thinking putting sound insulation around the noisy machines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly, it is a relief to have those stairs in. Boy, that turned into such a sore subject. Tim was channeling his inner 'bullhead'. I cannot tell you how many times he started them and then ripped them out.

      Delete

  7. William is a handsome young lad, growing tall fast. Loved the house tour, what an adventure it all is for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that he is a very handsome boy, but I might be slightly biased.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the guided tour. It's a lot of work (understatement!) but it must feel really good to know that you literally know every square inch of your home.
    Grandchildren growing up - bittersweet but so lovely. Grandchildren having their own children - unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was telling Ms. Moon at some point, it's a strange feeling to know that your grandchild is leaving the 'child' behind. He still is quite grand though.

      Delete
  9. I've never been able to eat anything I've killed - even fish - although I'm very happy to give it to others. or to eat it if someone else has killed it. Strange.

    However I really wanted to say how absolutely impressed I am with your finished (well nearly almost) house. The work, love, angst and skill that has gone into it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just as bad really. I have not got the stomach to kill something. I just haven't. I tried to be a hunter. It did not work for me. However, I don't mind eating the meat that someone else kills. I guess I'm a bit hypocritical.

      Delete
  10. I love the way that you both have so carefully designed this house, and especially to "age out" in it. My parents, my husband's parents, and I know of countless others didn't consider any of that when they bought or built houses, and they got older and impaired, and it became a heartache, and huge expense (stair lifts), as well as narrow doorways that could barely take a walker and definitely not a wheelchair. How my dad never fell down their stairs before the lift, I will never know. My FIL did fall down their stairs, and that was the beginning of his eventual death. You're making life for your kids better too, because you will be safe in this house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stairs to the basement are our only concern, and if it ever reaches that point, we have an exterior door. We can just walk outside and go into the basement that way. The basement will be where the large deep freeze goes. There will also be a 'chop shop', where we can process our own meat. There is a floor standing meat saw still in its box and a stainless steel sink to be hooked up. The big freezer will be right there to put the meat into. We are also going to have a 'cold room' for long term vegetable storage. We've got plans for that project.

      Delete
    2. That is genius to have an exterior basement door! Seriously, you and Tim could have a business designing homes, with aging in mind and making smart use of every inch.

      Delete
  11. Ah, there's William! What a sweet, handsome boy! And I can't remember if I'd ever seen a picture of Tim or not. I must have because he looks exactly like I thought he'd look.
    Your house is going to be just perfect for the two of you. And what a sweetness that you will know you've built it yourselves with years of planning and acquiring the things you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be perfect for us. Quite really, the hard part is going to be picking out what furniture I keep, what furniture I let go. I've been collecting for some time now. My kids will be celebrating every single thing that leaves the door. One less thing for them down the road.

      Delete
  12. Many years ago, I was remodeling our basement bathroom for the mother-in-law suite and my wife found the perfect tile in the remnant section at a steep discount. I quickly calculated that we were going to be a handful of tiles short of being able to do the floor. We ended up buying completely different but complementary tile also in the remnant section at a steep discount and bordered the bathroom with that tile and filled the middle part with the original tile we picked out. I have received more compliments on that bathroom floor than any of the other tile floors in our house when it was the cheapest floor by far of them all! So even if you can't match it, you should be able to get something complementary to border it with and make it look intentional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea, Ed. I really think that the 'plain' nature of the tile should make that pretty easy to do. It will be interesting. We'll probably take ourselves out for a little 'looky loo' after William goes home this afternoon.

      Delete
  13. Wow! I am impressed with all you have gotten done on your house. You two really know what you are doing! If you can't find a match for the tile you can always make a pattern or border with a different color and that would look nice too. I like the photo of William - he sure has grown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year has been quite a surprise. He's always been privately aggravated that so many of his friends are giants and he just seemed to not be growing. His mom is 5'7 or 8. His father is over six feet. I kept telling him that it would happen. By the end of the summer, I expect he will be taller than his grandmother.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Progress...slow and steady. Hey, have you ever propagated lilac from new growth cuttings?

      Delete
  15. Congrats to Tim on the turkey! I've cooked many a wild goose, but never a wild turkey. Glad to know you took the "remains" far away. I'll never forget your dog story!! (not that I envision one of the cats doing the same as the dog did 😂)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great to be able to visualize the house and all your plans, and great to see William and Tim! Will that turkey be your Thanksgiving bird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. It's not big enough. This will be a special celebration though. We cook it with quality bacon laid across. It tends to be a lot dryer than domestic turkey. In addition making the meat moist, it also lends a smoked flavor to the meat. Very good. We will invite people in.

      Delete
  17. The house is coming along very well, but I have to admit that as a vegetarian I find the hunting stuff a bit gruesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it goes back to how you were raised. This is the way Tim knows.

      Delete
  18. I truly wish that my husband and I had your skills. I want to redo our ensuite bathroom, one day, but I would prefer to do it ourselves, rather than pay someone else to do it. I doubt that will happen. Right now there is a brand new toilet, upside down in the bathroom; it's been there for months and my husband just walks around it rather that install it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot make people what they are not. If DIY IS 'not his thing', best to just hire someone. It isn't worth the fight.

      Delete
  19. William is a good looking young man!
    I had a Maytag stack washer that went with the house when I sold it. It was 27 years old then, and did laundry eight people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought a Maytag perhaps 15 years ago. It was a pricey one, but we thought we were buying reliability. Sadly we were not. The thing required the motherboard to be replaced twice. The first time it was covered by warranty. The second time it was not. I didn't even know that washers HAD motherboards. I think that all the computerized bells and whistles have changed appliances for the worse.

      Delete
  20. Thanks for the tour! It all looks great- I’m so excited for you! And William is a very handsome young man! Xo, Rigmor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always thought he was! I might be the slightest bit biased.

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

The Social Whirl

 Last night, we went to a baseball game to watch one of Tim's grandsons play. He's pretty young for the game, but even at his age, y...