Tuesday, July 21, 2026

What I have been up to

Over 5 years ago. Tim and I built a little greenhouse. 
As is my nature, I started stacking stones on the west side of it for a flowerbed. 


In the intervening years, I did not keep up with it because we were building a house, and Tim got sick. A lot of upheaval there. Nature started taking that little space back. 

Yesterday, I started work on it. I weed whacked. We have blades on the weedeater so it does a good job on the tangley overgrowth. When I chopped back to the stone wall, I was able to kneel and begin sorting out the mess inside. I was happy to find a nice patch of aquilegia/columbine and it reminded me so much of Weaver. I miss her voice.
I dug on. Tiger lily. Spearmint. I am going to replant wild flower there. 

I had a meeting at 5:30, so I only got halfway done, but before I headed back to the house, I decided to give a quick weeding to the front of the greenhouse. I was shocked to see a hydrangea stubbornly doing battle with the tall weeds. 

I'd seen that struggling little plant in the store years back and it reminded me of my old friend who died of brain cancer close to 20 years ago now (how is that even possible?!!)  I got it. Planted it. It promptly died. I chalked up as one of my poor plants that did not make it. While I may have given up, that little plant did not, and yesterday I found it. I was so pleased at that little miracle!

There is something very grounding about weeding and sweating and thinking about other people and other times, even if it is hotter than hades. It was a sweet afternoon and I really enjoyed my quiet time.



My nephew made me a bottle tree and delivered it when he came off his hill on Sunday. That was something else I did yesterday. I transplanted some established morning glory vines at the base of it. The vines will climb the trunk and spread across the branches. Maybe not this year, but we will see. 


Yesterday, those vines looked wilted and unhappy. Today, a series of thunderstorms are rattling through. Between downpours, I snuck out to take a peek. Things look a lot more hopeful today.

Step by step.

30 comments:

  1. Your greenhouse is adorable! The little house that could! And the stories of your plants. I can just imagine how you felt when you finished for the day; some aches and pains from your hard work and each one a memory of what you found had survived! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sweet. Tim had gotten some left over polycarbonate panels at a house hold sale. Most all the lumber and windows were left over or repurposed.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful place you are developing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That greenhouse is beautiful and I imagine the garden around it will be beautiful in time as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really the first opportunity I have had to really work at it. I am happy with the progress.

      Delete
  4. I miss Weaver too. She was a wise lady.
    I have never seen a bottle tree before. It must look lovely with the sun shining through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks quite naked right now. It needs to be covered in vines.

      Delete
  5. My husband used to say he knew it was Spring when he saw ne carrying rocks around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were in a park called Pithole. It is an oil boom town that no longer exists. Tim noticed a very large stack of moss covered stones in the woods. He said, "that pile of rocks would not last long if it were left near you."

      He wasn't wrong!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Not to everyone's tastes, I suppose, but I am quite happy with things.

      Delete
  7. It's been a while since I've seen a bottle tree. I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sturdy one! Once the morning glories begin to take it over, I plan to hang a couple solar lanterns and a huming bird feeder there as well.

      Delete
  8. It's looking good around your new home, I look forward to seeing it when the plants fill in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only planted the morning glory vines a few days ago. They are already halfway up their trellis!

      Delete
  9. The greenhouse looks great and your bottle tree is amusing, however I first thought you meant this kind of bottle tree, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachychiton_rupestris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a photo of your bottle trees. Are they rumored to ward off evil spirits too?

      Delete
    2. I haven't heard that but possibly true.

      Delete
  10. I wondered what a bottle tree was. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what will you do with that knowledge e? ;)

      Delete
  11. I’ve heard of a bottle tree before and I think I want one!!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephew has a welding and machine shop. He made me a sturdy one. He thought it was a ridiculous thing and teased me about my drinking. I pointed out that the bottles came from his mother, and that most of that wine was a gift from his wife. That gave him a laugh.

      Delete

  12. It's encouraging when things cling onto life when all hope seems to be gone. Little miracles.
    I looked up bottle trees - they have a very long history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prompt. I didn't realize either. I assumed it was a holdover from when people would stick a bottle or a shoe in the wall of house during construction to ward off evil spirits.

      Delete
  13. I have to learn about bottle trees now. I've seen but never understood them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My nephew doesn't understand it. Bur he made it to order anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's amazing what a little moisture will do. Love the bottle tree! I haven't seen one of those since I lived in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I do love a good plant miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That really is a pretty greenhouse. That's a cute bottle tree. I've never seen anything like it before.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

The Totally Random Post

A couple days ago, I saw a headline that caught my attention:  4 Charged in Death in Warren Co Home Care Case I worked in this field. In thi...