In October of 2008, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a scary time because there was no way of knowing how it would work out. People die from breast cancer. Would I be one of them? I remember an early morning appointment, where 4 women sat together talking about cancer, but still somehow finding plenty to laugh about, and that laughter was, I think, encouraging to all of us.
Treatment ends, and you ring that bell and walk out of the cancer center, and I guess that I expected to feel something. Triumph. Relief. A hallelujah moment. But I didn't.
For the next 6 or so years, what I felt was as if I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. My cancer, I was told, was the kind of cancer that had the tendency to break away and travel, metastasizing in other areas of the body. The brain, lungs, liver, or bones was the most likely areas for those secondary cancers, a 1 in 3 chance.
So...there are the mammograms, and I learned a new word: scanxiety. It is a cute word but a real situation. The mammogram dredged up old ghosts and fears. The no evidence of disease (NED) from the doctor wasn't much of a comfort either. I wasn't expecting it to show up there...I was more worried about my brains, bones, liver, and lungs.
There was the day I realized that of the four women in the waiting room that morning, years back were all dead now. I was the last surviver.
All these things worked together for a few years to keep me anxious, but then a truly Debby-thing happened. I was climbing an extension ladder. It was my own carelessness. I should have checked. It was not properly set, and as I reached out for the roof, the ladder suddenly 'unextended' and fell over leaving me hanging off the edge of the roof by one arm, the other hand still clutching at the collapsing ladder. The young man on the ground grabbed the ladder. The husband on the roof grabbed on to the seat of my pants and hauled my ass to safety.
It was a terrifying moment, not just for me but everyone there. Thinking about it though, I got a case of the giggles. I mean, really...I was so worried about cancer but I could just as easily die by falling off the roof, or getting hit by a car, and the more I thought about it the more ridiculously funny it seemed to me.
(Side note: when you have scared the mess out of your husband, bursting into laughter is going to make him mad. And when you can't stop laughing, it is going to make even the quietest man yell his head off at some point.)
Anyways, at some point, I simply stopped worrying about it. To be honest, I stopped being a stickler about the mammograms, even. When Tim was having his own issues there were a couple years that I didn't get around to having it done.
There is a woman. She and I had cancer about the same time. Her husband hauled two dump truck loads of gravel to the new driveway last spring. He and Tim talked a while. After all these years, her cancer has returned. He said, 'Yeah. She's not doing well.'
Today was my mammogram. After all these years, 18+ of them, and as ridiculous as it sounds, I found myself feeling superstitious.
LATE EDIT: It was letting my fears take over. I received my phone call. All looks as it should.
I hope this one, too, is NED…. Best wishes!!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy future NED to you. I wonder if the medical people gave you a bit too much information.
ReplyDeleteGetting the giggles and silly laugher after a stress event is quite normal.
I know too many woman who have had breast cancer, and fortunately all have survived.
Often with a mastectomy, and at least here it doesn't really cost for treatment.
DeleteI do have to say, for me, having those questions answered was critical to me. I remember when chemo was over. A friend called me, and she was beside herself. She had heard that my chemo was ending. She was crying. "Don't you let them stop. They can't give up! You are young!" When I explained that the 8 doses of chemo were done, she couldn't understand it. Her chemo was forever. As she talked, I realized for the first time. Her cancer was metastatic. She had no clue. She said. "I don't ask questions." I can't imagine that.
DeleteYou have put my thoughts and fears perfectly into words. My very first day of retirement in 2015 was spent having a biopsy, right breast. Long story short, I had a bilateral mastectomy in July 2021 after a second bout in the left breast. I keep what I call my Fu#ker journal. Keep laughing and blogging! DJ in SE Ohio
ReplyDeleteIt is all you can do, really.
DeleteI can understand both your laughter and his reaction. I experienced a similar laughter at an unfortunate, situation (but not dire like yours) and the other person was not at all amused.
ReplyDeleteLater, I understood it when I was in situations with my children, torn between hugging them to bits and grounding them forever.
DeleteI feel so fortunate to have never had to face that sort of news. I have often wondered how I'd deal with it. Probably not well. Not well at all.
ReplyDeleteWhen you almost fell off the roof, your laughing reaction was pretty normal. I think you must have had what we commonly call "hysterics." The body's reaction to such an event can be very odd.
My nature is more 'it is what it is.' I mean, if throwing a fir would have made a difference, you would have been treated to the most amazing display of emotions ever. It would have been much like the 4th of July fireworks!
DeleteHoping you get a good report. I think every woman holds her breath not only during the mammogram but also until the results come through.
ReplyDeleteBe careful on ladders! xo
I did. I am.
Delete...and I was being ridiculous. The call just came. All clear.
ReplyDeleteHooray! Glad to hear!
DeleteHappy to read your update above! My bout with cancer was in '97-'98, a carcinoid tumor in my small intestine where it joined large intestine. It's a slow growing form of cancer that was found serendipitiously according to the gastroentrologist who found it during my first colonoscopy. No further treatment needed once it was removed but monitoring for several years afterward. I later met someone who had it too and then died from it. Talk about feeling lucky that it was found when it was.
ReplyDeleteI think that is the most sobering thing...knowing people who don't make it. I keep thinking of Jeri. It is taking a toll on her husband too.
DeleteI love a positive report ... 😊 I hope they are always so!
ReplyDeleteMe too!
ReplyDeleteGood to hear all was OK today.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad they call with your (good!) results right away. Around here you can wait a week or more for something in the mail.
ReplyDeleteMay your good health news continue! …and no ladders.
ReplyDeleteBonnie in Minneapolis
Whew! Get those tests and stay off ladders!
ReplyDeleteCeci
I had breast cancer in 2016 after my husband passed away. The doctor said it was caused by stress. I have been faithful in getting my mamos. Thankful all has been ok for the past ten years. My husband started out with lung cancer, and it spread very fast and he was gone. July 18th this week we would be sharing our 61 anniversary.
ReplyDeleteEllie Kennedy, I shared the last post, but my name did not come up.
ReplyDeleteI recently had a mammogram back in the treatment centre, normally I use the huge lorry in local carparks, I was OK until I sat in the waiting room, I got the jitters, don't know why, its been 15 years. I got the all clear as well, it's a good feeling.
ReplyDeleteExcellent description of what many women experience. Keep on surviving
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad all's well! But you said it, sista; after going through treatment successfully, there's a period of time when you do feel as if you're waiting for the other shoe to drop. That's where I'm still at, six months after radiation treatments ended. My friend who had a portion of her lung removed 5 years ago says that common anxiety passes in time, and you've just shored up her story. Thank you. -Kate
ReplyDeleteI've been known to giggle hysterically when I'm terrified. The first time was when I was three or four years old, a flower girl at a wedding, and a strange tall man picked me up and danced with me in his arms. I laughed so hard it looked like I was crying, and I was.
ReplyDeleteThe second time I was in a car sliding backwards on an icy mountain road that could easily have gone over the side. I didn't cry but I sure did giggle.
-Kate
I am happy that you are still NED. That's a helluva thing to have to deal with.
ReplyDeleteGood news...and even better that you have a call. Do you. get a letter as well so you can check on when you are due to go again?
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for that, a good ending to the story. X
ReplyDeleteSuch a relief, that good report. It's hard to be a survivor even when you're glad you are.
ReplyDeleteGeez, Debby. I did not know you had had cancer. This post was a roller coaster of emotions to read, and I cannot imagine how it must have been for you. Hurrah for the clear scan!
ReplyDelete