Today, I ran into town to buy 3 dozen ears of corn to take to my son and daughter in law's. I also wanted to pick up some Italian sausage.
My sister is up to her armpits in zucchini and sent 6 more over. I am not sure who she thinks is going to eat all that. We are just two people! We have had squash 4 nights in a row. Luckily, we both like it. I am going to take four down to my son's house.
I found a great deal today. Green peppers are 75 cents apiece in the store. They are not ready from the garden. I needed a pepper to stuff my zucchini and was prepared to grin and bear it. I was happy to see that they had some past -their-prime peppers, 3 for $1. You better believe I was all over that! I got $3 worth of them. I sliced some for stir fries and fajitas, and diced up the rest. I have 3 qts in the freezer, and that is happy news.
I also spent some time in the greenhouse. I planted basil, rosemary, and lavender. The columbine seeds I collected from last year all sprouted. Flushed with success, I collected some anise hyssop seeds. Not sure what I will do with them yet.
I also planted yet another distressed coneflower in my flower bed.
Tonight, we watched the biggest blackest clouds rolling in. They were moving across the sky so quickly. I slipped on my sandals and threw open the door to run to the greenhouse and shut the door there. Just that quick, it had gotten dark as night. I headed to the greenhouse, but the skies opened up before I got there.
I slid the door to the greenhouse shut and was checking my plants. I was delighted to see Possum wiggle in through her little entrance. She accepted some pets and together we listened to the rain pounding down on the roof. When I left, she stayed put, curled up on the rug.
I am glad she knows to use her safe place.
That sounds like a really nice Ordinary Day. Your garden is thriving!
ReplyDeleteTo avoid squash bugs, we plant our zucchinis seeds on July 1. This means we never get tired of zucchini by the end of summer, and we're always happy when people need to off-load their surplus.
How sweet that Possum joined you for the storm. She knows what she's doing.
Chris from Boise
I am trying to clear out my freezer in preparation for a new round of vegetables. By the end of the season, part of those zucchini will wind up dried and frozen.
DeletePlease send rain to UK..........we are desperate!!
ReplyDeleteSuch a struggle to try and keep a big garden going using only watering cans ( hosepipe ban). I am really only keeping the plants in pots alive!
I have been reading about it. I feel so lucky because I know for a fact that a whole lot of places are dealing with drought.
DeleteGlad there wasn't a tornado in that black storm! Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteIt was crazy. I have never seen it get so dark so fast. All the solar lights came on. Tornado did occur to me.
DeleteApparently you can grate courgettes/zucchinis into a myriad of things but I suspect it is rather watery. It is good to see your feral cats settle down, could be because you are living permanently there. Thelmax
ReplyDeleteBy the end of the season, I will have a stash of grated zucchinii in the freezer. It can be made into bread, added to casseroles and soups and frittatas and spaghetti sauce. It is a very nice
DeleteI can just imagine the magic of those moments with Possum in the greenhouse, the rain pounding above.
ReplyDeleteIt was a sweet moment.
DeleteI'm so glad Possum knows where she's safe.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure I read the other day about cutting zucchini up to make faux pineapple?
I have learned something new today! Thank you! Mock Pineapple: The BEST Pineapple Substitute - https://gardenofmirth.com/mock-pineapple-the-best-pineapple-substitute/
DeleteI've grated and drained zucchini to make zucchini bread, where it takes the place of banana bread. But there's usually a torrent of zucchini!
ReplyDeleteBy the end of the season, there will be plenty of bread making. Some people make and freeze the bread. I grate and freeze zucchini in two cup portions for bread.
DeleteMade me think of this by Great Big Sea.
ReplyDeletehttps://youtu.be/-wcjBU8zbdY?si=xaSv70ny9okF2VNf
I love the exuberance of that. I was hearing a different song: https://youtu.be/xeVV2KD1GqU?is=fH7XKXb-8dGGKdUm
DeleteM sons first garden in Germany and he planted one row of zucchini. He did not know a few plants would be plenty. He was military so everyone he knew had plenty of zucchini for the summer. They put it at the end of the drive as they lived in a small German village people started coming by to look for it. Very little went to waste but the next year two plants did fine for two plants did more than enough.
ReplyDeleteLol. He could have probably fed Germany on a row of them. I have two plants in the garden. They were nibbled severely by a very bold little buck. We fenced it in. Shortly after that, I saw him out there, so I went out to the porch and yelled at him. The little schmuck went out behind Tim's truck and lay down. We have decided dumb venison will probably not taste any different from smart venison. My plants are growing back, but squash and cucumbers are going to be late.
DeleteMy mom grated and froze it for bread all year around, lots of Christmas gifts with it.
ReplyDeleteYes. Zucchini bread is a great favorite here!
DeleteThose sudden summer storms! They can be powerful and fascinating, too.
ReplyDeleteI hear zucchini makes terrific compost. (I don't have a lot of affection for it.)
*clutches pearls*
DeleteI have never met someone who did not like zucchini.
I have been meaning to ask, have you heard of Mel Moon? She is in Florida right now on vacation
https://www.facebook.com/share/r/1FxR18iMmn/
I hate them too
Delete*gasp!*
DeleteThat sounds kind of nice, sitting in the greenhouse and listening to the rain. God, I wish we'd get a pounding rain. I've forgotten what one sounds like.
ReplyDeleteI have to say, if we get rain, it is a pounder. It was nice to watch the rain thundering down on the roof.
Deletehaving Possum in the greenhouse should deter any rodents!
ReplyDeleteHa!:great minds think alike, Gwynneth.
DeleteWe are not huge fans of zucchini. We had so much last year that I still have some in the freezer. We did not plant more this year and my daughter keeps trying to sneak more over. We do have a bumper crop of yellow squash and I am busy dicing and freezing it in side dish sized freezer bags. And I am making freezer pickles once or twice a week. We occasionally get a tomato despite our usual overflow which I make into salsa or sauce. Disappointing.
ReplyDeleteYour new greenhouse sounds like a dream!! I am glad it's the kitty's safe space.
That isvthree of you! Well, I never!
DeleteWe got a heavy storm on Monday. I was so glad because I've had to water my brother's garden plots while he and his family are in Italy. It's a LOT of work! :)
ReplyDeleteWe have had a very good year for the garden and rain and sun.
DeleteYou certainly make use of food you or others produce.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to have it. It allows me to be generous.
Delete