For a time, there was an old woman sitting on the porch of an old house in a wheelchair. Whenever a car passed, she would smile and wave.
The first time I saw her, I smiled and waved back. The second time, I gave a friendly toot on my horn. The third time. I realized that she did this nearly every day.
I began to purposely take that side street in to town for no other reason than to smile and wave back. She always seemed so joyous.
Winter came, and it was a long one, but spring came along as it always does. However that old woman no longer sat on her front porch. Still, though, I find myself turning down that side street. I remember the waving and her big smile.
In a way, that is immortality, and that is not the worst way to be remembered, is it?
I wonder what her story was. It must have made her so happy to be seen and acknowledged by so many passers-by. It's sweet that you still make the detour along her street.
ReplyDeleteYes, as long as people remember you, you live.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post! I hope to be remembered for my friendliness and kindness and not some of my not so fine qualities.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice that you are getting to work on the yard at your new home. I'm glad you got to perk up that lady's day (and your own day, too). It's a sweet memory for you now.
ReplyDeleteHow lovely.
ReplyDeleteThe older lady up the street who always had the trim lawn bridged with begonias has her house up for sale. Whether actually here or surviving family, I know not.
ReplyDeleteWe get attached too some people and support them.
ReplyDeleteA lovely memory. Wish we knew the back story but overall, what really mattered is that you turned up quite often and gave her a friendly wave. I feel the same way about a few long-time blog contacts/friends. Occasionally, some have just dropped out of posting after many years and there's no way of knowing what happened. Sad.
ReplyDeleteI feel exactly the same when a blog I’ve been following for a long time abruptly stops.
DeleteYat's funny, but I really never equated the two things. You are right. The only difference is that I could have stopped my car at any time and talked to her. I will always feel a bit bad for not doing that. I never had a chance to stop by Tasker's or Northsider's place to check on them.
DeleteI am sure many others will remember her too. It's a nice memory.
ReplyDeleteThank you for driving by just to wave at her and keeping her memory alive now. That's what I like about family history research, as I can "remember" people I've never even met.
ReplyDeleteI’m sure she appreciated every wave and toot, I bet she was really happy sat there.
ReplyDeleteWhere we live there used to be an elderly gentleman who sat in his wheelchair by the shops. He was on a corner and all the drivers would toot at him and everyone would chat to him as they walked past. He clearly enjoyed this. Sadly this year he died, sorely missed.
ReplyDeleteThat was a kind action, and I am sure she appreciated it. Keeping people's blogs on the side is also a way of keeping them alive. Like Pat (Weaver) and John (Stargoose and Hanglands).
ReplyDeleteJohn was such a gentle soul. And Pat was such a curious, interested woman
DeleteWe live as long as we are remembered, or so it is said.
ReplyDeleteHas anybody any information on Cro. He abruptly stopped blogging. Gigi
ReplyDeleteHe got locked out of his blog and Kimbo is supposed to be sorting it for him
DeleteA gentle reminder that life is a fleeting event and we should enjoy every minute that we can. Thank you for posting this.
ReplyDeleteA sweet and sad post. She is still remembered.
ReplyDeleteYou are the kindest person ever, Debby. Just think of the cheer you gave her whenever you went by.
ReplyDelete