Saturday, August 8, 2026

The Totally Random Post

A couple days ago, I saw a headline that caught my attention: 4 Charged in Death in Warren Co Home Care Case

I worked in this field. In this county. And as I read the article, I realized that I had worked with these people too. 

I cannot wrap my head around the idea that for forty days a helpless man lay in a recliner dying and no one did anything. I can't wrap my head around the fact that I knew people capable of this. I can't get over the fact that it took 3 years to bring charges.

I cannot stop thinking about this. 

It has been a busy couple of days. Working on the old house. 

I went to a thrift store and boy, did I ever strike paydirt. I found two pair of jeans that looked brand new. Most important thing? The waist sits at my natural waist! Whoot! They were tapered leg! Whoot! They were 1/2 off! Whoot! I found also found a pair of fisherman sandals. And a crystal bowl that fits perfectly in my wrought iron bird bath.

We went to a street fair, which was fun. Tim wanted to see the antique cars and trucks. He wanted Mexican food. It was so hot and humid, I wasn't hungry at all, but they offered a cucumber lime ade. It was enough to pique my curiosity. It was excellent and surprisingly thirst quenching. 

So that was my excitement for the day.

Today was protest. Small group. We had a black SUV pass by. In the back seat was an elderly woman, a tiny thing. The window was down and much to my surprise a wrinkled hand came out, pointed like a gun and she made the motion of shooting us, picking us off, one right after another. It was a surreal moment.

I got my shirt and ticket for the fair booth. I am working every day. The guy in charge said that despite the initial enthusiasm and support, as the event drew closer, people had begun to 'ghost' him.
I get that. Standing on a street corner in a red county holding a sign is far different than engaging with people one on one. 

One thing I notice is that they want to engage on an emotional level. They want to provoke an emotional response. I have been practicing unemotional factual responses, but I would be a liar if I said I wasn't worried about this week. 

After the protest, we stopped to eat. Much to my surprise, my aunts and uncles were there celebrating a cousin's birthday. It has been years since I saw them. 

We walked today 5 miles today. I collected seed heads from a wildflower I am not familiar with and hope to grow here. It is called ironweed and it was covered in butterflies.

We are having one heck of a thunder storm. The rain has been torrential. It will be interesting to see the final precipitation amounts. 



56 comments:

  1. So much for the image of sweet little old ladies. That was rude on her part. I must have missed a post, what is the fair booth that requires a tee shirt and ticket? Inquiring minds want to know. Good score on jeans. I've given up on women's jeans, I'm buying mens, and they have pockets! Yay pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The democrats are having a booth at the fair. We are talking about the issues and registering people to vote. As noted, I live in a red county. We will most certainly get blowback. It goes without saying that I am out of my comfort zone here. I have committed to showing up and staying put no one comes to relieve me.

      Delete
  2. People and what they're capable of (shockingly) make me physically ill sometimes. Being a kind and good person with compassion and common sense has gone out the window, wearing a red MAGA hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something that was very interesting is that a protester was approached by two cyclists. We watched them talk. Next thing we know, they are parking their bikes. The guy next to me said, 'uh oh...here we go...' and we all prepared to walk over. Much to our surprise, they picked up one of his signs and stood there protesting with him.

      Delete
    2. That makes me feel better. Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
  3. Cucumber drinks are pretty popular around here. I like to slice them and add some salt and make a good snack. I love to find a good deal on something I can use. Walmart had jeans marked down to 3.00 a pair a few weeks, they have a lot of summer stuff on sale here, seems early but school starts Tues. 8-11. I did buy some jeans a shirt, of course I had to hem them. $5.00 for the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is early. Our school starts the last week of August.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the fair booth. I understand your trepidation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been practicing not responding emotionally.

      Delete
  5. Yes, good luck with the fair booth, although I am not too sure about triggering emotional responses, especially as it seems so many people are on a knife edge emotionally. Take care, Debby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO, NO, NO! Goodness no. What I was trying to say is that this seems to be a MAGA tactic.binstead of having a rational conversation, they say something provocative like "you are a dumocrat".(or worse). The goal is to make you mad. They do it on purpose. If I can refuse to fall into the trap of getting emotional, I will carry the day. I am not known for patience. So I am worried about this week.

      Delete
    2. You can tell them Canadas jobs are up, companies are moving here because Donald is so unhinged, our stock market is doing really well, our Prime Minister is very smart unlike dumb Donald, Donald is jealous of Mark Carney because everyone likes him .people are leaving the States to come here for a better life. People don’t walk around with guns, we don’t need to We don’t have to pay for health care and unlike what you have been fed, wait times are short if you really are sick. I can usually see my Dr. or at least get a phone call same day. Take care and ask the doubters to just do some research to find the truth. Donald lies every time he opens his mouth. He is a weak person globally where no one likes him. That is why Canada is doing so well. Take care Debby. Gigi

      Delete
    3. Tim and have talked about selling out and moving to Canada. You are very convincing!

      Delete
    4. Not that easy to become Canadian but there are pathways.

      Delete
  6. I can't decide if the image of that little old lady is more comedy skit or horror film. Either way, it IS weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a horror film

      Delete
    2. I thought it very childish, like the big truck people or the motorcycle people who rev their engines in disgust.

      Delete
  7. Hope the fair thing goes OK. It sounds as if you will need to be careful in what you say in reply - worrying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so, Sue. If I fall into the trap of return their retorts, I will have a very volatile situation my hands. I will also come out of it making our group look foolish. The problem is that I am so very good at sarcasm. I will really have to keep a tight rein on my tongue.

      Delete
  8. I had to look up Ironweed - saw it grows 3 - 10 feet tall! You'll remember where you planted it when that starts to grow!

    The little old lady sounds very oddball. How strange.

    Glad you did well at the thrift store. Nothing for me in the ones we checked out yesterday but I wasn't looking too hard for clothing, I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking specifically for a couple pairs of jeans. Amazed to find them.

      Delete
  9. When I look at the state of America I seriously worry about my American friends. But through all of it you swim amazingly Debby from thrift shop jeans to little old ladies in shooting mode.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Things are so strange over the "pond"... And not all brilliant here either..
    Accusing Indigenous people of being immigrants... Reducing rights to vote.. And in Mississipi... "Strange fruit" as the song goes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lord. What has happened in Mississippi. Off to google.

      Delete
  11. I hope you hold on patiently. It’s so charged. I cannot understand how anyone can support what it going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are unkind people. Period. They are justifying cruelty. Kind people don't do that.

      Delete
  12. Maybe the man who died in the chair did not have insurance, and so no help?
    The woman passing by making shooting motions proves that wisdom does not come with old age.
    Yes, it is quite brave to engage with the irrational, but you are right. Keep your focus on facts. I am sure you will have the details in your mind how bad things are becoming and will become worse for the kind of people you may interact with. Personal insults, you just have to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we learned as children, 'sticks and stones', etc etc.

      Delete
  13. I'm keeping fingers crossed for your safety. Yes, trying not to engage as the red hats try to provoke, is a feat. Thank you so much for doing it. Walking the walk. Or standing the booth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel that sarcasm will be wasted on the Maga supporters.Take care, got my fingers crossed for you. JennyP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will only escalate the emotion. We don't need that. I did get a good zinger in. Someone was being ripped apart for their opinion, it was nothing but insults, no kind of rational rebuttal. I said explosive diarrhea of the mouth was an unfortunate side effect of orange Koolaid.

      Delete
  15. I don't think rationality will have much to do with any of the Maga people who might want to engage. They are all so deep into the cult that there's no enlightening them with things like facts. But I certainly admire you for doing all that you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't expect to change any MAGA hearts. The thing is that we can't just stand around mutely while they say stupid stuff.

      Delete
  16. I admire you for working the booth. I know you will do your best and I thank you for your service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't doing any good to try to rise above it. We have to be prepared to speak up.

      Delete
  17. I envy your torrential rain! And good luck with the fair booth -- you are brave to take that on. I think that for many Trump supporters, supporting him IS primarily an emotional vs. an intellectual exercise. They're expressing their anger and their sense of abandonment, among other things. I'm not sure they're all that interested in facts, but by all means, present them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By our measure, we got nearly 5 inches between 7 and midnight. There were flash-flood warnings out., but that is to expected. It is fair week.

      Delete
  18. A lot is covered in this post. You did get lucky in the Thrift Store. There is a tremendous amount of anger and violence with the Magas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet they are quick to claim the democrats incite the violence.

      Delete
  19. Be safe! We have so much ICE activity in KC and the surrounding suburbs it's really scary to go out sometimes. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have ICE here, at least not that I am aware of.

      Delete
  20. That woman in the back of the SUV is the poster child for MAGA, too ignorant and too deep in the cult to understand what is actually happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Jim, I find myself wondering if she is senile.

      Delete
  21. Thank you for protesting -it's so important and not all of it can do it so you are carrying water for many. You deserve all the pay dirt the thrift stores have to offer!

    Ceci.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A couple of years ago, I attended a parade in my small hometown. The Democrats who walked through were waving and shaking hands and the crowd was responding. A couple of parade units later, the Republican came through to absolute stone silence. It was rather gratifying. I hope your booth experience goes well!
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to take a page from Miss Merry's book!

      Delete
  23. I am hoping you might be surprised by how much support you get at the fair. The summer before this I worked in our democrat booth at a local festival. The magas just ignored us but we did have some positive feedback and thumbs up from passersby. I just kept smiling and complimented those walking by - cute shirt, or what a sweet baby, nice hat, etc. Or where did you get that sandwich, it looks fabulous! Kill em with kindness is my motto. And if they get mean, walk away.
    The story cuts me to the core. I understand being overwhelmed and burning out. But I could not let a dog sit like that, much less a human being. Gosh, how awful. Just awful. How can people do that. Just how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sickening. To have a shared care home be filthy and smelling of feces and urine...I really cannot imagine. These are vulnerable adults. I have never worked in a home that did not have a daily cleaning schedule. To have a man dying in the middle of that house while life went on around him is heartbreaking.

      Delete
  24. Good for you for working that booth at the fair. We can't give in to maga taunts. I never reply to them. Did you work with those same people who are charged in that case? I worked in a nursing home quite a few years ago and sometimes had to deal with people who were abusive. It can be horrible.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked with the supervisor. Very likeable guy, but what I noticed is that he tended to focus more on keeping his house staffed rather than actually handling staff problems. I caught a guy stealing money from the residents' money. It was never a huge amount...just enough to keep him in cigarettes. I reported it and the response was noncommittal. I mentioned it to another employee who said, 'yeah...he does that regularly. I just make up the money.' There were other things that worried me. I left that job. It made me sad, because I did love the clients. I knew one of the woman well, the others only in passing. My sister worked with the client who died.

      Delete
  25. Good luck with the Democrats booth. Our fair doesn't allow political parties to have booths but last year there were booths selling MAGA stuff and an objection was raised that it was political. Objection thrown out by fair organizing committee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our fair said we were not allowed to use the words 'rape' or 'rapist'. It is a family event, the fair...

      Delete

I'm glad you're here!

Points To Ponder