I came inside with my biggest kettle full of corn, steamed it, packaged it and got it down to the freezer to join the other two dozen. I think that's enough corn. It will make a nice treat this winter.
This morning, I could just not get moving to save my soul. I had slept poorly and the coffee wss not doing it. I saw Beth's note that Joanne passed from peacefully this morning just before six. I gave myself permission to stay home and do for my house what I can't do for the world...put it to rights. Tim went to the protest without me.
We did a little running when he got back. The little store we go to had huge green peppers. 2 for $1.00. 50 cents each was not such a great deal, not really, but they were so big and perfect that it wasn't the worst deal I ever saw either, so I got 10 of them.
It was a nice hour sitting at the kitchen table chopping peppers for the freezer while listening to a thunderstorm rolling in. Those 10 peppers filled 5 quart freezer bags, over six lbs of chopped peppers. They joined the 3 qts of chopped and sliced peppers already down there.
I carefully set the pepper seeds aside. I will dry them in the greenhouse and then pack them into a pill bottle for next year's garden. While I worked, I allowed myself the luxury of trying to imagine what the world will be like in 9 months when I am getting my next garden planted. Maybe it will be different. I sure hope so.
A terrible picture in the quiet, poorly lit livingroom. Tim got his mount back from the taxidermist today. He is proud. I think I will write a book called 'Decorating with Dead Stuff'. It will be a backwoods bestseller.
I met a woman I used to work with. She was a quiet person, so quiet, you might not have thought she had opinions. Turns out that she does. So did her boyfriend. It was nice to discover that.
The trump administration has begun exporting wild horses to foreign governments who slaughter them for meat.
Today trump announced his plan to import cheap beef from foreign markets to bring prices down.
I am sure that those two things have nothing to do with each other, though.
The storm warnings have expired. I need to go to bed.


I miss a companionable cat.
ReplyDeleteI miss Joanne's words. A skilled feisty woman.
Want one? I will deliver!
DeleteJoanne surely was all of that. I admired her greatly.
I quite like doing tasks where I can just do so without thinking, and it is repetitive, like chopping up vegetables...not that I ever do but I have in the past. Shelling peas is ideal for me, but who does that now.
ReplyDeleteI didn't read Joanne's blog but after looking, I liked what I saw. It was sad to lose such a wonderful person.
Btw, some hooved critter seems to have broken through your wall and is stuck. I hope you've attended to the matter.
As long as the horses are humanely slaughtered, well we slaughter many animals to feed ourselves. It may be best for states to test the imported beef. We export beef to the US but I don't know what the quality and price is when you buy the meat, or where it is used.
You never had to wonder where she stood on things, to be sure.
DeleteAustralian beef is sold in some upscale markets. It is known for its quality and commands a price far and above what we pay for our own beef.
Importing cheap beef undercuts our own beef suppliers and they are enraged about it. (a few more MAGA eyes opened at that announcement.) What will be imported is not going to be quality. It will be cheap. This administration has decimated the FDA so there is likely to be little quality control. Hell.. We cannot properly inspect our own food sources at this point.
Your book title was funny but I bet it would be a bestseller! The room looks comfy and rustic, Debby.
ReplyDeleteIt would have little appeal to herbivores. Tim had the first mount done because it was a 'once in a lifetime' buck. Then don't you know, he got his second 'once in a lifetime buck'. The trout was once a PA record holder.
DeleteT pulls the rug out from Canada but it is hardly noticed down there. If he carries through, it will hurt American consumers even more.
ReplyDeleteBelieve me when I say that it is noticed. Sadly, so people think that it is a sign of strength and that our president is feared by the world. Somehow, this translates to 'we are respected' by the world. The rest of us see it but as long as we have enablers in our government and a press that refuses to print anything for fear of legal retaliation, sensible citizens are stuck.
DeleteMy personal take on it is that nothing will change until his MAGA faithful begin to be affected by his disastrous choices. It is happening. The turning away is slowly beginning.to happen.
Every time a country caves to maintain a relationship with my country, I groan, because it allows the brainwashed 1/3 of our country to gloat about 'respect'. There was an agreement, it was ready to be signed, and then, after all of that, Trump demanded additional. Carney said no, stood up and walked out.
The man is a rockstar and millions of Americans are cheering. The best way to stop a bully is to not cede to him. Yes. It will hurt us in the long run. The smart people here are bracing ourselves for what is coming, understanding it will lead to the end of this age of tyrants.
Other countries are watching and hopefully, one by one, their leaders follow Carney's excellent example.
Joanne will always be loved and missed. I was looking at some of the tea towels she gifted me when I bought my house 8 years ago. Still sturdy and used almost daily. I'll always remember her when I look at them. Someone mentioned finding a place to donate to the blue resistance in her memory, and I love that idea. She would, too, I think.
ReplyDeleteYes she would. I was thinking of donating to Sherrod Brown in her name, but I hope that Beth makes some recommendations.
DeleteI was sad to hear of Joanne's passing. I think this world needs every Joanne out there at the moment.
ReplyDeleteI hope the imported beef doesn't cause any big health problems. We have an outbreak of salmonella in the UK at the moment caused by cheap, imported eggs. I am sure that our farmers, who have to (rightly) follow stringent rules on animal care, health and hygiene etc are horrified, as are those of us who had no idea that we actually import eggs.
We have a lot going on in our food supply right now, mostly because the FDA has been gutted. Inspections are inadequate.
DeleteI keep forgetting and then remembering about Joanne. I don't think my brain wants to take it in. I'm proud of her for getting on with it. Does that sound strange or weird? It's like her though, to just calmly and peacefully take that next step.
ReplyDeleteThere are SO many dead things in The Glen Den. Deer, birds, fish. I guess that's it. I don't even see them anymore. Self-protection.
No. I understand that completely, because I thought the same. 'So Joanne.' She got on with dying just as quickly and efficiently as she did anything else. She was always, unapologetically herself. I will never forget the Great Ice Cream Protest at the facility or the time she loaded up her car with another resident and hit the road. The woman was a force of nature.
DeleteI hadn't heard that Joanne had gone. She lived a great life right to the end, always her own person
ReplyDeleteThanks for the shout-out, we need all the pressure we can get to get this little girl and her family to safety.
She is my role model.
DeleteI'm sorry you have lost a blogging friend. It's never quite credible, is it?
ReplyDeleteIt is. We have lost a good half dozen at the least.
DeleteShe died so quickly, it's shocking. I know it happens but it's always a shock.
ReplyDeleteI think that it seemed abrupt because we heard about it only when it actively began to happen.
DeleteNow I'm craving corn on the cob. I am hoping that someone helps the people in Gary Indian affected by the recent storms...as well as children detained by ICE.
ReplyDeleteBarbara, if you have any place to direct calls on that subject, I would be glad to post them. I will search later this afternoon.
DeleteJoanne had so many great stories to share and always came across as a strong woman. I'm glad she is at peace. Thanks for passing on the news, Debby.
ReplyDeleteShe was always unapologetically herself.
Delete"Decorating with Dead Stuff" -- sure to be a best-seller! :)
ReplyDeleteI will reserve you a first edition copy, oddlygraphed!
DeleteThank you for the update on Joanne, I am glad her suffering is over. RIP Yeah, like you I'm certain that the slaughter of the wild horses and the cheap beef from foreign markets are not at all related..............
ReplyDeleteEspecially since trump refuses to say where the meat is being imported from...
DeleteThanks for letting us know that Joanne has stepped off line. She was such a force. I will cherish my red towels.
ReplyDeleteShe was a strong woman.
DeleteWhen I moved to the farm where Farmbeau's house is, his dad had six "pet" horses that he didn't want to part with, even though he didn't ride or drive them anymore and the hay to feed them was needed for the cattle, horses eat more than cattle, and the farm was struggling to have enough feed for the cattle over winter. No one wanted the horses, even offered for free. Horse rescue places were full already and struggling to afford to feed and care for them. I don't remember exactly where all of the horses ended up; I know at least two were taken by a horse rescue place, and in the end the mean stallion disappeared months before I noticed. They didn't tell me because they knew I'd object if they sent him to market, which would likely mean slaughter or something like you've mentioned above. I know that a lot of horse owners at the time, about 20 years ago, had a similar dilemma: they couldn't afford to feed the horses anymore, and no one wanted them. I don't know what the solution was, then or now. But I do see it from the viewpoint of horse owners who found themselves between a rock and a hard place. -Kate
ReplyDeleteSorry about Joanne.
ReplyDeleteYou have prepared some very good food. It seems so easy the way you tell that it's done.
ReplyDeleteMy own freezer is full! I love having my own produce frozen for the winter but my abundance overwhelms me, lol.
ReplyDeleteI am so livid about everything. The Horses. The people of Gary Indiana, an American city where people are defecating in bags and throwing them in the street because they have no water and no power and no safe food storage. How can this be happening! Children under the age of 2 representing themselves in court for deportation hearings, Race cars driving around gold leaf statues in our Capital.
I'm so sad about Joan.
The best man at my brother’s wedding worked that summer for Green Giant and presented my parents with a car trunk full of fresh sweet corn when he arrived. After the festivities, we shucked corn for a few hours. Relatives and neighbors all took some home and we feasted from the freezer for a full year. It was a generous gesture, but a lot of kitchen time when my folks would have liked to put their feet up.
ReplyDeleteThinking of Joanne and her life’s work for her community.
Bonnie in Minneapolis
Your room looks cozy, but I am no fan of deerheads . A friend has so many in her living room you can't look anywhere without those eyes staring at you. It's not what she likes, but her husband insists they be there.
ReplyDeleteOh shoot, forgot to say the corn and peppers are awesome! A lot of people simply freeze corn in the husky. The silk comes right off. I have done it, and it works. Just takes up more freezer space. I a l so like to make stuffed peppers and freeze them; so hand and tasty later on. Also good to have on hand for visitors, although they have to be thawed so not exactly a quick meal.
ReplyDelete