The measles have been brought into the Amish community, brought back from a Lancaster horse auction. The Amish do not vaccinate.
I know that Mattie is afraid. She called me to say that her oldest son had been exposed. We discussed it. They take quarantining very seriously. Since they had a family member exposed they were all homebound.
Tim and I predate the vaccine, but we both had measles as children. We are immune. We can also not carry it. We made a deal that the answer would always be yes. If they wound up with measles, they could count on us if they needed anything. We would run it to them.
14 days has passed and no one in the family got the measles, but it is still going around. Pennsylvania had its first measles deaths in 35 years, both cases in Lancaster, one of them an infant.
Last night, my phone rang. Levi had questions about my opinion on the vaccine. I was a little surprised. He listened. An 'English' had told Mattie's sister that the vaccine had made her son 'slow, like Down's syndrome'. I pointed out that the first dose of vaccine is given to babies, and that developmental delays may not have been recognized. "That's true," Mattie said. I said 'Everyone has to decide for themselves, but I will always follow the science."
Long story short, we ferried everyone to the health department today. The nurse there was very patient, the paperwork completed, and 10 Amish were vaccinated.
When we got them back home, a buggy pulled in. They visited at the wagon and when they came back, Levi said they told him that they heard of a man who got the vaccine and he got measles, and got them so bad he is in the hospital.
He looked afraid.
It will be okay. I am sure that the man got the measles from a person, not the shot. They will get their boosters in 4 weeks. I think it will be a powerful example in their community to see an entire family vaccinated, not braindamaged, not worried about catching the measles.
Maybe people in their community will say, 'I heard about this family that got the vaccine...'
I am about to become very busy here.
This is my raised bed of romas and San Marzanos.
I will close with a few words of wisdom:



I’m proud of your friends for getting the vaccine. My parents lived through the worry that one of their family would get polio, so when any vaccine was offered in the schools, those permission slips were signed quickly. We lined up in the school gym in alphabetical order, and I was always the first in line, didn’t have time to get nervous. I think I’m more stoic because of that experience.
ReplyDeleteBonnie in Minneapolis
I was a preventative medicine specialist in the army.
DeleteAwesome, helping the Amish with those vaccines Debby. They said on the local news tonight, 426 active measles cases in our state of Pa right now. I'm at a loss for words.
ReplyDeleteI saw that, Doug. 2,777 cases nationwide as of Aug. 20th. You know that number is under reported.
DeleteWow! You have now earned your degree in Public Health! Thanks for helping Levi's family get vaccinated. Certainly helps with herd immunity. And could save some children! Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteI was preventive medicine in the army.
DeleteHow much more death and blood can be on #47's and the hands of Secretary for Health.
ReplyDeleteToday is a good day to let our Senators and Representatives know that those who voted for the Secretary of Disease's confirmation are complicit in every death from this outbreak.
DeleteCeci
Am I right in thinking that it is not a live vaccine? So any new cases would have to be person to oerson contact.
ReplyDeleteKathy is correct. It is a minute bit of live virus, strong enough to trigger your body to react. Your body builds a defense to the virus. In 4 weeks they go back for a booster, which will be a bit stronger.triggering a slightly stronger response. At that point, your body has the immunity to fight off full exposure to the disease.
DeleteMakes sense. Interesting though that some are live and others not
DeleteIt is live, but very very week and cannot give you the desease,
ReplyDeleteAll my children and all their cousins have had all the jabs. no problems at all .
Kathy
3 out of 5 grands have. In the end, you just stand back. They will do what they are going to do.
DeleteMeasles can lead to other very serious problems, it is so important to be vaccinated, I hope word spreads within their community. Ten is a very good start.
ReplyDeleteThe health department gave them a packet of information. I think the hope is that word will get out. I told Levi that we would provide free transportation to anyone that wanted to get it.
DeleteWe all had them and were lucky enough to survive them, but I am glad that my kids and grandkids didn’t have to put it to chance.
ReplyDeleteI just don't know why anyone would chance it, really. I mean, I suppose I can be pretty cavalier about my own health, but I can't imagine taking a chance with my children.
DeleteI'm impressed with Mattie and Levi and hopefully their example will lead to more vaccinations.
ReplyDeleteMy tomatoes are turning red and I've started picking.
I love that last meme and I have stolen it, so thank you:) Now I need a feral raccoon.
I have begun to pick too. I should have enough to can a batch.
DeleteI need several.
DeleteYour interactions with the Amish family are always so interesting. Their decision to be vaccinated is impressive. I remember when my brother and I had measles, we were so sick. We were pre-vaccine, too. I also remember our mother taking us to get each new vaccine as they became available. With my own daughters it was a given to get them vaccinated. And now, here we are again.
ReplyDeleteAll of the MAGAts in our cabinet are clueless and unqualified, old Bob may be the worst. I like the meme about the feral raccoon.... there's a big white house that could benefit from having one let loose.
Oh, I SO disagree, Deb. It is a big place. I think not less than 24!
DeleteThat's a better idea! Shall we ride at midnight??!!!
DeleteCount me in!
DeleteYep. I will bring snacks to keep the trash pandas happy in the back seat.
DeleteHow brave of Mattie and Levi! The love they have for their children has overcome such a strong community belief. And you played your role in their decision. They trust you and your opinion. You are, in a way, their link to a different world than the one they live in and you should be proud of that.
ReplyDeleteI was impressed by that as well. They do love their children.
DeleteI wonder if Mattie and Levi will get vaccines for other diseases now.
ReplyDeleteI don't imagine that they would unless there was an outbreak of the disease.
DeleteThank you for being such a good steward to your friends! It's a brave step for the Amish to get vaccinated but I hope their Community takes notice and follows their lead! Prayers will not stop an epidemic!
ReplyDeleteIt will be interesting to see what happens.
DeleteI hope others follow their example. Bravo to you for helping them to make that decision. (And here's hoping they weren't exposed and won't develop it now, in the window between getting the shot and it taking effect! THAT would be unfortunate.)
ReplyDeleteAll joking aside, that is my secret fear, Steve. If anything goes wrong, I will have lost their trust forever.
DeleteI was in Ohio Amish country last week. They have mostly put aside their buggies in favor of electric bikes. Young women have jobs outside the home and I imagine the income they bring in to the family is making a difference - their houses are newly renovated and some have solar panels!
ReplyDeleteI never had the measles as a child. I was exposed as an infant to my older siblings who had it but likely was benefitting from my mother's immunity. When my first daughter was vaccinated I got a mild case of the measles! The pediatrician I mentioned it to said it was not uncommon.
Good that your Amish friends got vaccinated.
I think that is what amazed me mist to discover about the Amish is just how different the rules can be for different communities.
DeleteBravo to you for doing this! Measles is no joke, hopefully it will prevent their children from getting it. I have a use for that feral raccoon, any idea where I can find one?
ReplyDeleteCome here! I donate 2 or 3 AND throw in a possum for good measure. 😆
DeleteKeep us posted on this situation. I admire them for getting over their fear and getting vaccinated and sure hope they don't get it in the interim. Have you explained that could happen, but it wouldn't be the vaccine doing it? People love to spread doom and gloom, so I'm sorry they were bombarded with that so quickly.
ReplyDeleteI think I'm only a year younger than you, Debby, but I know I had a vaccine for it as a child. My older siblings all had the measles. When I reached childbearing years, my GP recommended I get a booster, which I did. I think I've taken every vaccine possible.
The first measles vaccine came out in 1963. I was six and already had them. The MMR was not introduced until the early 70s. They are aware of this possibility. The health department explained in depth. We discussed it too.
DeleteFear is a hard thing to conquer completely. I know that they are afraid. The situation became that they were more afraid of the measles than the vaccine.
My little friend had polio when we were about two years old. He did have complications but survived. Fortunately his mother warned all the other mothers so we stayed away from him. I had measles as an adult but we always took the vaccines as they became available. My grandson got chicken pox when he visited us in Grenada and I warned all the mothers of the kids he had been playing with but they said their kids had All had the shot. My daughter didn’t know one was available. Glad you were able to help Mattie’s family. Gigi
ReplyDeleteMy kids all had chicken pox at the same time. It was AWFUL. you youngest daughter even had it on the whites of her eyes. She even got it later. The doctors were adamant that she must have been misdiagnosed the first time. I am sure she was not. She wound up getting shingles a couple years ago. I have always thought she had an problem with her immune system. All these years later. She is being tested for it.
DeleteI remember when we were children before a lot of vaccines were widespread we went across the river to a neighbours so we could all have it together - I have a feeling it was either rubella, chicken pox or measles. Unfortunately the CP vaccine came after 'Salina got it while younger.
ReplyDeleteI remember people asking if they could bring their kids to the house so they could get chicken pox before school started.
DeleteKudos to science, and your skill in lovingly giving good information to your Amish friends. Fingers and toes crossed that this leads to a good influence for their community. And thank you!
ReplyDeleteI think Levi had discussed it with the County Health Department before he spoke with me. He may have just wanted to see if the information he got jibed with the information I gave him.
DeleteYay for vaccination. Measles is an under rated threat, it's not just a kid's thing, it also can cause encephalitis. I would hate for them to lose a child. Good on you for taking them in.
ReplyDeleteOh we always would. It is important.
DeletePlus, none of the girls, if they decide to have babies, will have to worry about rubella affecting the unborn. And no one will have mumps, either. We got the MMR in 2019 because there was no one to ask if we'd had measles, and I knew I had not had mumps or rubella. Felt much better afterwards.
DeleteThe false news seems to have more clout than what's true.
ReplyDeleteRed, that is exactly what I will never understand about these days.
DeleteSo difficult to counter all the misinformation out there! I am glad they opted for the vaccine.
ReplyDeleteThat's a lot of tomatoes! Fun times ahead for you.
I see myself being our lady of perpetual tomatoes
DeleteI am so happy your friends decided to get the vaccine. The measles have spread to some Amish counties here in Ohio. I know there was an outbreak a few years ago (lots of years ago now that I think of it). Our county health department got permission from bishops to speak at meetings with the Amish and many decided to vaccinate at that time. I think the problem now is that there are so many school children who aren't vaccinated. It is a horrible accident waiting to happen.
ReplyDeleteI think it would be a good thing to do some outreach. I am worried about what happens when school starts. They go back the day after Labor Day.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI too am very impressed by Mattie and Levi, and appreciate both your sharing of your knowledge and going with them to the health department. You're a good'un, Debby.
ReplyDeleteGood looking tomatoes!
Chris from Boise
I am canning my first batch today!
DeleteIt's a tribute to your friendship that they can talk to you honestly about their doubts and fears, and that you have patient, nonjudgemental support to give them.
ReplyDeleteI did find it interesting that they would ask my opinion. It was touching, actually.
DeleteI had measles when I was in grade 5. I remember being bullied for "coming back to school too soon" as if I had any choice in the matter. I never forgot how that made me feel. Science (and vaccinations) plays a key role in our physical health, but also our mental health.
ReplyDeleteIt will never cease to amaze me that so many people think they are smarter than science. Where did that thinking even begin to get traction?
DeleteIt is so good that Mattie and Levi have you and Tim to talk to about their worries, and that they take advice when it's offered. So many people don't.
ReplyDelete