We use our phones as hotspots for our internet and for streaming our television through Roku. We had to. The only way to get internet here is Starlink, and you can bet the ranch that this is not happening.
(Side note: my weeklong adventure at the fair was interesting. They had just got the fairgrounds set up with Starlink. Everyone had access to the internet. Despite those assurances, we did not have internet. No one did. It never worked at all during the entire week.)
Anyhow, our system out here in the woods worked okay. We could stream TV, but sometimes there was a lot of buffering and error messages. Our phones worked, but when my daughter called from overseas using What's App, sometimes the calls dropped. The internet could also be pretty slow.
I began doing some research on cell phone boosters. We finally selected a $400 one with a roof mounted antenna. An Amish friend fabricated the mount for the roof.
The instructions called for downloading an app to find what band you were on, and where the cellphone tower was. This app made me very nervous because it wanted permission to 'control my phone', whatever that meant. It also deleted my email app without asking for permission to make room for the itself.
At that point, I stopped the installation.
We mulled it over and decided that our phones used whatever signal they could get when we traveled. Why did we need to down load something to figure it out? We figured the phone was already picking up the signal here at home with just 1-2 bars. It would be picking up the same signal. It would just be (theoretically) stronger.
We also had no idea where the nearest cellphone tower was either, but Tim pointed out that the antenna was being mounted on a metal roof. We simply aimed it down the road which leads to the nearest big town. (It is also just about the only tree free area to point it.) We brought the wire in through the attic, drilled a hole in the ceiling and brought the wire down to the living room, hooked it up to the booster and plugged it in.
We held our breath, afraid to hope. We literally had ignored the instructions completely. But day-um, people! We might be old and we might have no technological skills to speak of, but who has four thumbs and can now consistently pull 4-5 bars of connectivity?
(Answer: Tim and I. We are pretty impressed with ourselves.)
They had another amplifier to wire in, but the house is so small we didn't even need it, so we ignored those instructions too.
There is a huge fire reported in London tonight. I know they are in a drought. Fingers crossed for Steve and Dave, even though they do not live in SE London.
These fires seem to be popping up everywhere.

My goodness, where do you live, Petticoat Junction? Anyway, congrats on the wifi boost and that meme was awful but cracked me up! 😂
ReplyDeleteOkay, Doug. That made me laugh.
DeleteI like that you ignored the instructions and it actually worked even better than expected!
ReplyDeleteDoesn't always turn out like that, so we were very happy!
DeleteI love the meme! Haha!
ReplyDeleteIt is terrible but it made me laugh.
DeleteLondon is not burning Debby, reminds me of that nursery rhythm - London's Burning. It is in a waste disposal place and must have started within the waste. You have done a wonderful duty service at the fair, it's a shame that internet service is poor - or am I missing the point?
ReplyDeleteThe point was, we live in an area where internet service is unavailable. The only way to get it is via Starlink, which is the gold standard, at least according to everyone who has it. When I talked to people at the fair, they were quite proud to have starlink. We had a computer to register people to vote and to check their registration. However we did not have the promised starlink. Nobody did for the whole week.
DeleteSo our cellphones are used as a hotspot. We access the internet through our smart phones. We can use that connection through our computer and TV. We pay $20 extra on each cellphone. At the old house we paid $90 a month for our phones and nearly $200 a month for internet and television service. WWE are now getting all of those for $130 a month. Quite a savings.
Boosting/amplifying the poor cell signal has improved the data speeds.
I got a news flash on my phone that there was a huge fire in SE London. Of course I was required to pay to read it🤬. I know that Steve lives more in NW London, but we are affected by smoke from our own forest fires in the west. I should have known the headline was hype when I could not find more about it using other sources.
You must have unlimited cellphone data. That doesn’t seem to exist here.
ReplyDeleteDo you have access to Straight Talk? We buy two $65 cards every month and get our unlimited data that way. You can also provide them with cc info and it will be renewed every month. We have never contracted our service.
DeleteI love people who think for themselves and get stuff done! Go you.
ReplyDeleteYes! Go us! I suppose we might have needed all those apps in high density areas that have multiple cell and internet providers. Life is much simpler when you live in an area with no internet service and a weak cellphone service!
DeleteI am impressed. Great job you two.
ReplyDeleteOh believe me, we are impressed too!
DeleteI think y'all should be pretty proud of yourselves.
ReplyDeleteNearly busted our arms patting ourselves on the back!
DeleteWell done you, and power to lateral thinking. I hate the way the world is becoming dependant on Musk's satellites.
ReplyDeleteI like that we got what we wanted without adding to that odious man's wealth. Will he miss our paltry contribution? No, but it is the principle of the thing.
ReplyDeleteExcellent decisions which gave good results...congrats. Four thumbs is cute! My two are up for you all!
ReplyDeleteWe definitely were pretty happy.
DeleteYeah, if you're cooking a squirrel with a blowtorch, chances are not good that you have any money:)
ReplyDeleteGlad you got your cell service sorted. You two are amazing at making things work.
There is almost always a way....
DeleteWhat an accomplishment!! I would have no idea where to even start although I'm sure my boyfriend would have many opinions on the matter. Fires everywhere, indeed. London has been very dry too, but I thought they'd gotten some rain.
ReplyDeleteWe sort of dumbed our way through this by asking 'but why though?' Technology is not a strong suit for either one of us.
DeleteWell done. We can see a mast from our house, but our internet is terrible!
ReplyDeleteIs a mast for cellphones?
DeleteWe got Starlink and have never regretted the decision. Sometimes you do what you have to do. I pick and choose my battles.
ReplyDeleteYes. My daughter in a fairly rural bit of Walas has had to get starlink. Half their village is OK... They have an inconvenient hill in the way... She has no choice as she is running a business And working part time mainly at home... Both of which demand computers and Internet...
DeleteMy opinions are my own. I am not going to second guess any one else's choices. We had a workaround, and I am glad.
DeleteThere's no way I'd use Starlink either. This post and these comments may help others. Good MacGyvering.
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, I am looking at 4 bars right now and I am STILL amazed by that.
DeleteCongrats! I'm glad it is working. Well done you!
ReplyDeleteYep. We are still pretty amazed.
DeleteYou are my heroes! We live about 40 mins from a large regional city of half a million people. If I walk 5 minutes to our beach on the bay, on a clear day I can see Melbourne, Nearly 6 million people, hardly isolated, yet still have unreliable internet. Not going with starlink either. Did see it pass over one clear night, we were sitting outside on a lovely night and I joked that’s not right it looked like an alien invasion. My daughter said’Not far wrong!’ and told us what is was. My husband now calls him ‘Elon the alien’ JennyP
ReplyDeleteDo you get good cell service or does that stink too?
DeleteYou are very brave. Congrats! Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteNo. We have a tendency to just bite off a bit more than we can chew. We generally wind up alright, but this time it worked out perfectly on the very first try.
DeleteFor America being the best country in the world it seems kinda backward to me. My daughter lives in the woods in northern Ontario and she has cell and TV service and has had it for all the time she has lived there. Glad you two were able to boost your signal. I think we have more honest news reporting up here too. I would never pay for news though. Gigi
ReplyDeleteDoes she have a satellite dish?
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I can't believe you are getting everything to work with your phone hotspots. Your ingenuity is amazing.
ReplyDelete