The fair has been an interesting experience. I went there expecting to change no MAGA minds, but what I notice is that they are loudest when we are quietest. If there is any amount of pushback, they are not so mouthy.
That is the way of all bullies, isn't it?
So, I am there every morning. I have worked with a number of different people, and they all bring their own skill set to our table. We have made good use of all of those skills.
Today, for instance, a woman stopped. In a rather no nonsense way, she wanted me to give her reasons to support our candidates. She and I talked. She listened. Thanked me for talking with her.
Another guy went through talking in a loud outraged voice about abortions being legal right up to the day the baby was born. Just as outraged 3 voices answered back in unison 'That is a lie!' Perfectly orchestrated, totally unrehearsed. He insisted it was the truth. I said 'Let me explain to you why that is not true.' He left quickly saying we were all crazy.
We had a prominent citizen who wanted to talk to us about the Muslim 'agenda'. I told him that he was stereotyping and that there wasn't one. Heck. We are more concerned about the republican agenda.
Freda was registering people to vote, and nobody passed the table without being asked. A rough looking fellow stopped. Ponytailed biker type if you are looking for a mental picture. Freda fired off her question. He said, 'No.' She asked him why, and he said, 'Because I spent 20 years in prison.'
Freda said, 'So you're not allowed to vote?'
'Oh, I can vote but I think both parties stink.'
What followed was a polite little discussion on why we felt this was untrue. He listened just as politely.
Out of the blue, Freda said, 'Am I allowed to ask why you were in prison?' The question shocked both me and the other worker, and we exchanged looks over Freda's seated head.
The man said 'Third degree murder,' and launched into a telling of a man with connections who had molested a young relative. (I am totally not kidding.) And when he was done, he admitted to wishing he hadn't done it, while feeling glad that his family was safe.
I said, 'So what do you think about the Jeffrey Epstein cover up?' We talked about our shared outrage at 'men who got away with it'. Before we were done, my coworker had him sitting at a computer helping to get him registered to vote.
It surprised me the number of old men we had stopping by to tell us that they were Republicans, but could not understand how anyone in their right mind could support what was happening. A preacher's wife horrified at Christian Nationalists. Two ex coworkers that I never would have dreamed would claim the name 'liberal'. A church secretary. Way more support than I ever expected. Our table was seldom without someone there to talk.
Following Miss Merry's lead, I talked to all the kids and admired all the babies. Parents generally paused for pleasant talk.
Yes. There were those who went by without a word. A couple relatives who made quick shocked eye contact, immediately put their heads down, probably afraid that I would call them by name, and someone might think they were one of us. There were even a few rolled eyes and sarcastic comments, but these were muttered too low to be heard. Like I said, MAGA is not so loud when you are standing right there.
Interestingly, our state representative walks past us daily on the way to her seat at the republican booth. She's run unopposed for a number of years, but this year we have a candidate. She glances our way and averts her eyes in a haughty way. A doctor at our booth always wants to remind her that democrats are her constituents too.
I am half way through fair week and despite my misgivings, it has been a mostly positive experience.
You and your colleagues are making a difference. Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting experience and it sounds quite positive and reaffirming.
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed with your patience and success. Stay safe! Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteThank you , you're doing valuable work. Patience and courage on parade.
ReplyDeleteYou make our team proud! Thank you so much for being so steady in a storm!
ReplyDeleteThank you for this service. Hopefully people will take this experience with them and vote blue. Jim was talking to an older neighbor today who actually said California has fires because they don't rake the forests. I am astonished. at that. Jim calmly told him that most of the forests are owned by the federal government.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your service!!! I am so glad it is overall a pleasant experience. There is that group that will not listen to facts and never will. But I think it is important to show the world that we are not a random bunch of scary monsters. We are everyday people. What a wonderful story of the ex convict. And your friend really took a chance. I do agree that a lot more republicans locally are upset with how our country is going. I just wonder if that will transfer into votes . . .
ReplyDeleteIt's so heartening to hear of your experiences -- that people who are willing to engage are at least mostly civil and interested. (OK, maybe not the abortion guy.) I'm surprised your state rep didn't at least stop and say hello. She could have said, "I'm sorry you're not supporting me but I'm glad you're involved," or something like that.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, good for you for meeting the voters and rebutting all the right-wing rumor-mongering. I think just showing people that we exist as right-thinking individuals with faces and lives (as opposed to the monolithic "Demonrats") makes a big difference.
It sounds quite a positive experience. I hope it all ends well 👍
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it has been going a lot better than you hoped.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing sterling work. and making a difference.
ReplyDeleteLets hope that it will be enough
And good to get people to vote..whoever they vote for!
Debby, you're doing the lord's work. Seriously, this is one of the most hopeful things I've read about lately. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have my utmost respect.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting, and so good that many people are willing to talk and listen.
ReplyDeleteWhen they say they are republicans but they don’t like what the republicans are doing, I scratch my head.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your work, Debby. You are doing a wonderful job and I'm glad it is going well. Stay safe!
ReplyDeleteI am fairly sure I would not have lasted a day doing that work. I would have gone batshit on some Maga person. I just would have.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing story about Freda and that biker! My jaw dropped when she asked him point-blank why he was in prison—what an incredible, human moment that turned into. Getting him registered to vote after finding common ground is democracy at its finest. Thanks for standing tall at the booth, Debby!
ReplyDeleteVery good work and brave as well. Good luck with a successful outcome.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for doing this. I am continuously astonished (not in a good way) at how MAGA resorts to telling you "you're crazy" when confronted with the truth.
ReplyDeleteThey always try to bring it down to an emotional 'thing'.
DeleteI really appreciate the conversations in which both sides listen. Thank you for encouraging those.
ReplyDeleteA whole week of peopling or is there a roster? People do surprise - and sometimes even in a good way.
ReplyDeleteMy aunt, who was a politician for the I suppose Republican equivalent is not a fan of the brand of Republican being peddled by that man. I read an article recently about how he wasn't actually a Republican, just on the horse that got him there.
You know, Jeanie, I am getting peopled out. Tomorrow is Friday, and then it is Saturday...the last day. I keep telling myself I can do two more days, but I can tell you true, I am ready to be done.
DeleteI think you're all very brave and admire you so much for engaging. It is vital work.
ReplyDeleteWhat you're doing is extremely important but it is very difficult.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for being there! The local Democrats had a table at pur fair too, but i didn't know until the fair was over.
ReplyDelete