The fair is over and I am about peopled out. All of us are, I think. The abortion guy came back with a model fetus he borrowed from the right to life group and made a big deal about 'baby killers'. The Republicans were set up right next to them, so I imagine this was planned ahead.
Our current representative was there at the republican booth. The fair was being covered by a television newswoman, who was scoping out the happenings for stories. She spoke with Kathy Rapp about some issues. During the course of the conversation, the elected official dodged the question she was being asked to say 'Have you been to the Democratic booth? They've got antisemitic material over there.'
Shocked, the reporter said, 'No they don't.'
The representative said, side stepping responsibility for her lie, 'Oh? Someone told me they did.'
The reporter stopped by to see how things were going with us and related the exchange, which was maddening, because we were purposely trying to avoid criticism. Our goal was to engage and provide information. How to vote. Where to vote. These are our candidates. If people wanted to talk, we didn't shy from that, but we weren't there to argue or make people mad. It appears the republicans were playing by a different set of rules.
I met some lovely, lovely people. Lou and Lynn, married for 68 years. We talked for a long time. I said, 'Listen. What is happening now is unsustainable. It is going to collapse at some point. Financially it is imploding right now. We will get past this, and when it is over, we will be looking hard at what led us here.'
Lou said, 'I hope you are right.' We looked at each other and said almost simultaneously, 'We can't lose hope.' We spontaneously reached out our hands to each other.
There were plenty of thumbs up. I had a indepth conversation with a woman about her third party vote. Another man stopped to talk about issues. We got on the issue of the NRA. He felt strongly that every gun owner should join the NRA. I was surprised because we had so many things we agreed upon. But his point was that if the NRA had more moderate gun owners, their votes would change the laws. I pointed out that the NRA had no power to change gun laws but that these membership dues went directly to lobbyists to persuade (bribe) lawmakers to oppose changing the laws. He listened and and nodded.
It wasn't a bad experience mostly although one of my last interactions nearly did me in. A man from Florida came along and wanted to know who we were going to run for president. 'I don't know, and I am not going to speculate.' You could tell that surprised him. He wanted to know why. I said because he would spend his time arguing about their theoretical lack of merit for the job. 'If you want to talk about right now, I am ready.'
What followed was a parroting of trump talking points. America is respected and all other countries are following our lead. (No, they are not.) Our stock market is booming. (10% of America owns 93% of stock. Things are going really well for them.) He agrees with our actions in Iran. (You agree that burning through our armaments and oil reserves is good for national security? I think we are very vulnerable right now.) He brought up Benghazi. I brought up Syria and Trump's phone conversation with Putin. I asked him what he thought about Ukraine. He did cede a bit. He said we are beginning to make that right. Gold plating statues was being done by donation. (no, the department of interior has spent 95 million taxpayer dollars so far). It didn't stop.
What made it difficult is that for whatever reason, he had triggered the other person there. She was mad. I hadn't seen that in her. She had been a very mellow person up to that point. I think his arrogance, coupled with the fact that he was all over the place with his comments...it was like getting hit with a verbal shotgun. We had been dealing with this for six days, and I think it had become too much. She yelled and even cried. He weaponized that. When I tried to counter him, he interrupted me to mock her or tell her to be quiet, and then simply moved on to a new topic.
He finally left when I said, 'you know, we are not going to agree and we need to accept that.' He agreed and I told him to enjoy the fair. That was a hellish 20 minutes though. I am proud that I was able to hold my own. He was trying to command that conversation and it did not happen.
It sounds like there was a major issue at the Republican booth after I left. That was poorly thought out and shouldn't have happened, but there was an eye-popping conversation with some Christian Nationalists who believe that like the old testament, God is directing them to kill all Muslims, men, women and children, to bring about the second coming of Christ.
These people are fucking nuts. If Jesus came back they'd deport him.

The US is a foreign country indeed ....
ReplyDelete“All great changes are preceded by chaos”. – Deepak Chopra
Such a hopeful quote. Thank you.
DeleteGlad you made it through. Sounds exhausting! Thanks for doing this. Get some rest!
ReplyDeleteOh, I had a quiet day today and luxuriate in it.
DeleteUpsetting interactions but some wonderful ones as well. I get so discouraged about the brainwashed people who can't accept facts or the truth. And the lying by the GOP surpasses ALL BOUNDS!
ReplyDeleteIt is not just that there is a crazy amount of lying going on, it is just amazing to me that so many people are so willing to parrot the lies.
Deletethey just can't take in the truth
DeleteGz, I honestly think it is willful in some cases.
DeleteYou are a strong woman.
ReplyDeleteI felt strong, when it was done, you know?
DeleteIf anyone could change hearts and minds, it is you.
ReplyDeleteI would like to think so, but I don't know. Although a severely autistic boy stopped and before it was done, he asked me for a hug. Sweet, sweet moment.
DeleteApplause from here for what you did and thanks for what you put up with. My oldest brother lives north of Pittsburg and is active with Democratic Party. He will be knocking on doors to turn out the vote.
ReplyDeleteIt is all hands on deck, isn't it?
DeleteYou can always tell you're talking to a MAGAT, they recite the tRuMp talking points verbatim. Yes, Christian Nationalists are fucking nuts. Full Stop.
ReplyDeleteHoo boy. You have the right. They always try to make you mad because it allows them to feel like they have won. They don't know what to do when you don't take their bait.
DeleteA great challenge, and you've done a good job! Just letting someone who's brainwashed know that you know the facts...and another key point, he came over to you and had enough interest that he left knowing more than he started, whatever his motivation had been. Sorry your teammate was rattled, but it can certainly happen, and the guy will probably take that as a win. Thanks for your dilligience.
ReplyDeleteI hated that last interaction, but I felt that he had not bested me. Most importantly, he knew that too.
DeleteIt sounds like you had good answers and kept a level head. Good for you for showing up in this and in your weekly gatherings and in other ways too probably.
ReplyDeleteIt was quite a challenge, but I did it, and I feel quite relieved it is done.
DeleteI commend you for your patience and willingness to do that all week. My fuse is too short, so I would not have been an asset.
ReplyDeleteI can assure you it was nothing to do with patience. More to do with putting a positive face on my party.
DeleteYou were a master at suffering fools, perhaps not so gladly. I'm sure you are enjoying the return to every day reality.
ReplyDeleteA funny thing, Andrew, to discover that I had that skill. I have never put myself in such a position to find out before.
DeleteI’m just catching up with blogs and reading yours I’m in awe at how brilliantly you remain calm and patient with folks spouting quite simply nonsense. You really do deserve a rest now.
ReplyDeleteI took one, and yesterday was a wonderful reset.
DeleteThere are some people who cannot accept or understand a point of view different to theirs. It's not worth arguing with them, but it's easy to be drawn in.
ReplyDeleteI think that sort of gently pushing an interaction allows us to break down barriers. I borrowed Miss Merry's suggestion of standing in front of the booth and talking to everyone. Admiring kids almost always lead to a cheerful exchange. People want to demonize, but we all have things in common.
DeleteWow! You should run for president! It is stunning the degree of stupidity in the conversation from others. Lack of skilled thinking is a big problem. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteNope. Patience is only one of the necessary attributes for a president. Disclaimer: I am not always patient, either.
DeleteIt's difficult to do what you did but it paCKS A PUNCH.
ReplyDeleteOh, friend Red. I hope you are right.
DeleteThank you for continuing to serve your country.
ReplyDeleteBonnie in Minneapolis
Ŵe all need to serve our country right now, because a lot of folks getting paid to do that, are not doing so.
DeleteI can assure you that we on the bottom of the world do not respect your President. We think he's a dangerous moron. My daughter is in her mid-30s and she tells me her age group now regards the U.S. is simply irrelevant. The rest of the world has moved on from the U.S. and is looking elsewhere.
ReplyDeleteI know he isn't. I just am amazed that anyone believes otherwise, really. Just the fact that trump claims this is all the more reason to disbelieve it. I do not see other countries trying to be like us...I see other countries simply moving away from us.
DeleteI admire your ability to keep your cool in those sorts of conversations. I couldn't do it. I might not get angry, but I think I'd eventually lose energy and want to throw in the towel from sheer fatigue.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, those people ARE f---ing nuts.
I have a friend who is in the end stages of a long term relationship. She talks about how she wants to really lose her schnitzel over the whole thing, the new girlfriend, etc. But she can't, because that is what they are waiting for, a chance to call her crazy, or to make her look like the problem. She is determined not to give them that.
DeleteThat is how I saw the fair. I had to be mindful not to provide anything that could be turned to make us, as a group, look bad.
You fight the good fight...but you must be so tired. Nevertheless, this poem is pure light. Thanks for what you do and for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteIt is time for us all to do our part. I believe we are coming up on maybe the most critical election ever.
DeleteI have to say, Politics was Keith's interest - it has never been mine. I rely on Danny - who is like his father in this respect - to explain certain policies, situations, plans to me . . . I don't always agree with his mindset as he is clearly supporting a different party to his father and I, but that is his business.
ReplyDeleteI have a hot temper and I am afraid I might get just a little hot under the collar when confronted by people who thought THEY were right!! Well done for keeping your cool.
I can run pretty hot myself and that very thingwas what worried me most. I was afraid I would blurt something unfortunate and make the whole group look bad.i didn't and I was proud of that.
Delete