Friday, August 21, 2026

Cat Tales and Gardens

 Some time back, the outside cats began to show some nervous behavior as it got dark outside. I made them two safe places. I know that Possum began to sleep in the green house right away. The entrance was small enough that I was pretty sure she was safe at night. I made a bed for her there.

I was not sure about Tigerkitty though. I never saw him using either safe place. When he came up missing for a few days,  I was a little sick about that. I thought for sure something had snatched him away, but after 4 days, he showed up at the sliding door, back, very thin, very hungry, meowing loudly, and casting very nervous glances all around him. 

When I opened the door, he shot inside, ate two cans of catfood and disappeared into the basement. I was surprised about that, but the next morning, he came upstairs for some dry nibbles, and then asked to be let out. 

This has been his routine now for a few weeks. I found where he puts himself to bed at night. He is not a problem and I actually feel better knowing he is safe. Tonight, he showed up to come in as usual, but for the first time, Possum came inside with him. 

I am pretty sure that our 'predator' is another cat though.

My tomatoes are getting ripe. I have my morning coffee with a beautiful tomato sandwich. Toast the bread, mayo, a thick slice of tomato and lots of ground black pepper. 

We are eating a lot of zucchini and summer squash. Tim loves frittatas and the best thing about them is that you can mix up the vegetables you toss in with the zucchini and wind up with a completely different meal every time. 

My sister and her husband were cutting winter firewood. She didn't have time to process her green beans. I offered to do it for her, but she said, 'just take them. By the time we finish this tree, I will have double that to process.' 

I felt kind of guilty taking them, but when her mind is made up, there is no sense arguing with her. (It probably is genetic.)

We have been working at the house. We had some oil lamps to drop off with Levi and Mattie. I wanted to check on them anyway, because some of the men from the community went to a horse auction in Lancaster last month and brought measles back. The oldest boy had been exposed two Sundays ago and she was worried.

Tim and I have both had the measles. You cannot be a carrier if you've had them. If the family has them, they quarantine. I told her that we would stop in to check on them, and pick up any supplies they might need.

Anyways, checking on them, they have had a bumper crop of sweet corn this year. She has canned a years worth. They have eaten so much sweet corn they are tired of it. They are giving it away. They consider it a blessing and don't believe it should be sold. 

I said that we would be glad to have it. Next thing I knew there were two large bags of it in our car. I certainly did not see that coming. I should have.

On the way home, I stopped off to leave two dozen ears with my sister. It made me feel much better about the beans.

We had corn for supper, and I froze two dozen ears. It will be a real treat this winter. 

'Tis the season. 



52 comments:

  1. It seems you are having a very fruitful harvest from neighbours and friends as well. Also two sensible outdoor cats who have decided that being inside is safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possum, being not quite as sensible as Tiger asked to go out ar o'dark-thirty and immediately tangled with something just of the porch. Scared the wits out of me and had me skuttering around the yard in my nightgown. I saw neither hide nor hair of either critter, but she was back on the porch unscathed this morning, looking for her breakfast.

      Delete
  2. Measles is a nasty disease. I hope your friends keep well.
    Sensible cats to shelter safely and it's so good for you to know where they are and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of us will have read about the large measles outbreaks in the US, and your dipshit mental case, Secretary of Health. Absolutely appalling, and there is worse to evolve over years to come from what is happening now.

    That's good to know about the cats, still alive and safe.

    The exchange of care, beans and corn is a nice illustration of how society could work better by turning back the clock in some areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is “Our world is not divided by race, color, gender or religion. Our world is divided into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by race, color, gender, or religion.”
      This quote was from Mohamad Safa, a human rights activist and United Nations representative

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely mix of cat tales and garden life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice reminder that there is still loveliness in this sad world.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this Debby. I do not read/comment much on blogs anymore but I still occasionally check in. I have a couple of Joanne's towels and they are fantastic. I am sitting here remembering how we felt when we heard about our beloved Weaver Pat... (Jackie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne is a force of nature. We have lost so many bloggers in the last couple years.

      Delete
  6. Corn: I keep meaning to get some, and then I don’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I make a suggestion? Go get yourself some corn, man!

      Delete
  7. Don’t they have a measles vaccine? Gigi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do not vaccinate. It is not their way.

      Delete
  8. Corn is a big crop at our local farm. I used to go over and buy it fresh picked in the late afternoon, to have for dinner that evening. Couldn't be fresher than when I grew my own. You're doing well while doing good, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Boud, I love that. Kindness is never wasted is it?

      Delete
  9. I put my canners away yesterday. I believe that part of my summer is done. When Glen said he thought we should plant another crop of snap beans before winter I was horrified at the thought. NO MORE BEANS! Next spring I'll be excited about the idea again but at this point, I have do not want to can one more jar of them. Nor do I need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my canning is yet to come...tomatoes.

      Delete
  10. My brother has a garden plot that our city sets up for gardeners to use. This year deer came and ate most of his corn. All these years and that has never happened before. Between the weather and the deer, he didn't have much luck this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was young people froze corn on the ear in water. Now with freezer bags it is easy to do, just shuck drop in a baggie add water and freeze. Taste like fresh corn when cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vacuum seal it w/o water.

      Delete
    2. I didnt know one could freeze corn on the ear! And we don’t have a vacuum sealer. Thanks for this!

      Delete
    3. You don't need a vacuum sealer:https://youtube.com/shorts/YLM5ad0VvAQ?is=Nwa-yezutZB9plNk

      I use a much larger basin to seal the air out of the bag. I blanch my corn right on the cob. I put 4 ears in gallon zip locks and vacuum seal using water displacement. I dry the bags on a towel before freezing.

      Delete
    4. I had no idea you could do this! What a great way to get the air out!

      Delete
    5. It is a handy little trick. We buy our chicken in 40 lb boxes and single package them using this method.

      Delete
  12. The garden is indeed a reminder to tend, to share, and to stay hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels that way to me. We got 5 dozen ears in barter for transportation today and gave corn to all our tenants, and two neighbors. We still have a lot for the freezer.

      Delete
  13. Good kitty news, as well as the bounty of gardens. I do hope your friends avoid the measles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bartering is satisfying.
    Glad that the cats are safe...and hope they don't have measles

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw a large produce stand had corn and blueberry ice cream this week. This produce building really has an old fashion meat market where you pick what you want and they wrap it in meat paper, an Amish bakery and ice cream shop, a fish shop and every kind of veggie or fruit you could think of. They are very reasonable also, so it is always busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like the Mennonite store I go to in Bethel. I love that their cheese is wrapped and labeled with the maker. John Miller makes a very nice bacon cheddar!

      Delete
  16. Fingers crossed on the measles front! I remember being taken to play with a cousin who had measles because "it's good to get it over when you are a child". And I did indeed get measles, but don't recall being miserable or anything. Of course that was long before vaccines were available for that particular ailment.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with me. I think for most children it is like that. However, in some children it triggers viral encephalitis, which is very serious and often fatal. My niece died of it (not measles related). She came home from school said she had a headache, went for a nap. When they went to wake her for supper, she was delirious. She was immediately taken to the hospital. She was brain dead within hours. A horrible thing.
      Something I remember is that the wisdom of the day was that you had to wear sunglasses because measles made your eyes sensitive to light and you could go blind. Do you remember this?

      Delete
  17. Love the way gardeners share their bounty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We drove them today and bartered for corn. We gave corn to our tenants and two neighbors and still had enough to put more in the freezer!

      Delete
  18. I have lots of corn but it's not ready.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I miss fresh corn, I grew up on Bainbridge Island in Puget Sound just west of Seattle. There was a Japanese gentleman that had a farm where he grew many vegetables, you would tell him how many you wanted and he would go into the field and get them and bring them back to you. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very lucky. Funny side note: when Mattie cooks corn for her family, it is 5 dozen ears at a time. Made me laugh.

      Delete
  20. It is the season of bounty! You have been busy! I am to the point that I may start posting on my neighborhood page begging people to come and take my cucumbers. I am still freezing the squash we are not eating. And tomatoes every meal. I haven't done corn yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the season of bounty, and the best part is sharing the wealth! If I was nearby, I would surely be answering the call. Although I refuse to make pickles. We still have some left over from last year. We love them in a sour cream dressing though.

      Delete
  21. I don't know if I had measles or chicken pox. I have a memory of my brother being covered in spots, eyes really swollen, but no data on what it was. We got a MMR shot some years ago, we're too old for getting measles, and we've had the shingles, so hopefully we're covered. The corn sounds delightful. It's nice that you help the Amish people out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it definitely is mutual. I remember measles and chicken pox. Chicken pox were definitely worse. They itched so bad!

      Delete
  22. Sigh... we sure do love fresh sweet corn. It's not easy to find here though and it's not very cheap either.
    Wow! TWO cans of cat food! Somebody was sure hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Because I am doing Keto now, corn is not on the menu except for the little bit I get in a bag of frozen veggies! Olathe sweet corn 🌽, here in CO, is the absolute best corn! I did fondle a package of 4 ears at the store the other day! Shameful! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a package of sweet corn is as far as you stray, I would say that you are a pretty fine human bean, marcia!

      Delete
  24. Reading this makes me homesick for my family's farm in the 1970s! Meanwhile, measles was on the local news last night here in Pittsburgh. That effing Trump!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here!

Hot Dog

 We did not have a frost last night. It didn't get anywhere close to cold enough for that. We had more weather though. We had to go to t...